Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #1

Cleaning haze on old lenses

Dear all,
I just bought a Pentax SMC-M 100mm f/4 macro lens from someone. There was some haze on the front element of the lens so I disassembled it to take closer look. I stripped the glass from its metal casing. The front element looks like it has two layers of glass glued together and the haze looks to be in between the two layers of glass. This could be attributable to the cementing compounds used to glue the two layers together. Is there a way to clean/dissolve this residue? Does heating the lens help? I'm appealing to all experts on cleaning glass....
best regards

03-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mojo_fish Quote
Dear all,
I just bought a Pentax SMC-M 100mm f/4 macro lens from someone. There was some haze on the front element of the lens so I disassembled it to take closer look. I stripped the glass from its metal casing. The front element looks like it has two layers of glass glued together and the haze looks to be in between the two layers of glass. This could be attributable to the cementing compounds used to glue the two layers together. Is there a way to clean/dissolve this residue? Does heating the lens help? I'm appealing to all experts on cleaning glass....
best regards
By my limited knowledge, haze is pretty easy to clean, but fog isn't. Your case sounds like foggy to me. If it's between two elements, don't think it'd be easy to fixed unless you change the elements together.

BTW, here is the optical formular of the M100/4 macro lens:

It's 5 elements in 3 groups structure. The front two elements are cemented together.
03-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a 100mm f/4 macro lens with the same problem. I disassembled and heated the element but it did not work.
03-26-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mojo_fish Quote
Dear all,
best regards
I think your best bet is to find another lens with some other defect but with a clear front element and do a swap. Depending on the cement used, it might be possible to soak the two-layer element in a solvent to separate them and then re-cement them with special UV-cure cement, but that's a long shot at best.