Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You won't believe what I "Bought"

Being that I rarely ever shoot long and have the Pentax 50-135 f2.8 lens as my longest, I ordered the Tamron 70-300 Di Lens today. Can you believe it?!!! That will be my "Schlep" around lens when on the off chance I want to take snap shots. I don't know why I did it. It was a spur of the moment purchase. I have heard some good stuff about it. I can't wait to try the SR with it on both the K10D's and the K20D's.

Anyone else have this lens? It is the first time I have bought a new lens in over a year and a half.

Ben

03-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Being that I rarely ever shoot long and have the Pentax 50-135 f2.8 lens as my longest, I ordered the Tamron 70-300 Di Lens today. Can you believe it?!!! That will be my "Schlep" around lens when on the off chance I want to take snap shots. I don't know why I did it. It was a spur of the moment purchase. I have heard some good stuff about it. I can't wait to try the SR with it on both the K10D's and the K20D's.

Anyone else have this lens? It is the first time I have bought a new lens in over a year and a half.

Ben
it's good to know that you suffer from LBA too
03-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Ben

Well 'hold the front page' why dontcha folks.....Ben FINALLY loosens his purse-strings.......lol !
Whatever next......little green men on Mars.....holding Pentax K20's, naturally !!
So show us some photos taken with your new acquisition when it arrives ? The assembled throng awaits with 'bated breath'........

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-24-2008 at 03:06 PM.
03-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Surprisingly sharp for the $$ but copious PFing and I find the colour muddy, though others disagree with that statement (i am a bit of a colour nazi).

Go here for more ..... Tamron 70-300mm LD f4 - 5.6 Photo Gallery by alfisti at pbase.com

03-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben
I have also seen some wonderful images with this lens ... though I don't think I could bring myself to purchase it now that the DA 55-300 is here.
03-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Ben

Well 'hold the front page' why dontcha folks.....Ben FINALLY loosens his purse-strings.......lol !
Whatever next......little green men on Mars.....holding Pentax K20's, naturally !!
So show us some photos taken with your new acquisition when it arrives ? The assembled throng awaits with 'bated breath'........

Best regards
Richard

I am really excited...I feel like a kid getting a new gift for Christmas. I want to know if this thing is as good as some say it is and for the 149€ I actually forked out for it, it could be a pleasant surprise! It sure feels weird when you actually have to pay for your gear. It humbles me....
03-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Surprisingly sharp for the $$ but copious PFing and I find the colour muddy, though others disagree with that statement (i am a bit of a colour nazi).

Go here for more ..... Tamron 70-300mm LD f4 - 5.6 Photo Gallery by alfisti at pbase.com
These are awesome...You have to be kidding? NO? These are with the Tamron..Holy Sh-t!! I knew the Tamron 90 Macro and 28-75 were great but this is astonishing. I love the color rendition. Well done!

Ben

03-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I sold my Tamron mostly because i didn't shoot very much over 200mm so i bought the DA50-200 because it was smaller.

Nice lens for the money

Some shots taken with it over 200mm, mostly at 300mm i think

Last edited by barbosas; 03-24-2008 at 04:07 PM.
03-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben, congrats on the new toy. I can't wait to see some street shooting in Paris with this lens from you. We're expecting a thread full of images in a week or 2.
I tried this one out for an hour not long ago and it's on my list. I already have the range covered but for the size and weight, plus the low cost, you can't beat it.

I recently got this months issue of "Outdoor Photographer" magazine and in it was an article about "what's the best Tele zoom for you". They had pros opine their favourite lens.

Kerrick James carries the DA50-200mm which I found very surprising. It's a nice lens but I've had one and there's better glass out there. But who the hell am I? He's published and makes his living at this. Web page: Kerrick James - EXPLORE, BEAUTY, TASTE, ADVENTURE, PEOPLE, COMMERCE, EDITORIAL SAMPLES

James Shadle uses the same lens you just bought. His "big gun' is a 600/4 but he seems to really like the 70-300 and his work speaks for itself. See his web page: Florida wildlife photography gallery - Wild Florida Photography

The article in the mag is here:
Choosing Your Tele-Zoom | Outdoorphotographer.com

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and we look forward to the results.
BTW the 1:2 macro on this lens is very cool. You can get some very good macro shots and still stay far enough away from the subject to not disturb anything.

I can see it now.... The new web page will be called "Ben's Bee's 'n Bug's"
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter. I will definetely post the images once I have the time and the images... I think the SR on the Pentax will really help bring the best out of this lens. I just read James Shadle's critique on the Tamron..I am gob struck...Well there you go.

Ben :-)
03-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I know how excited you must be Now we need to see some pics posted here soon
03-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
I know how excited you must be Now we need to see some pics posted here soon
Do I have to?

Ben
03-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My models don't like it.....

they say it doesn't do a good job on their skin tones......

what do you think?

Cheers , you'll love it!

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 05-22-2008 at 03:48 AM.
03-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Who knows, you might have an endorsement opportunity from the folks at Sigma and have a chance to be featured in those Sigma ads that appear in many current magazine ads.
03-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for the compliments.

A few useage tips .....

- it underexposes badly on the 100D, I usually dial in a solid +1.3Ev for this lens (with DA lenses I use +0.7ev)

- It likes to be stopped down, especialy at 300mm, f/7.1 at least

- All images above have been colour corrected in pping, i find the natural colour of the lens a mix of muddy magenta and muddy yellow.

In saying all that, for $150 brand new it is certainly not soft and it's a no brainer buy.