Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts about the new Limited line

Disclaimer: This post is being written from my perspective, which is that of a guy living in Slovenia, where prices of electronic devices are usually substantially higher than anywhere else.

I thought of writing this since many people seemed disappointed at the sight of the new Ltd. lens prices. Also, our Pentax distributer is doing a discount on the DA Limiteds (to clear stock probably), and that makes for a fun comparison.

Prices are quoted: Old, discounted and new, respectively, in Euros, rounded up or down slightly to ignore cents.

DA 15mm: 750 550 600

DA 21mm: 580 430 600

DA 35mm: 510 380 650

DA 40mm: 440 325 450

DA 70mm: 610 450 650

On one hand, the prices of most lenses are similar (with the glaring exception of the 15 and 35). On the other, one could get a sweet discount buying the old Limiteds.

Now, I'd like you guys to do two things. Post what you would do in this case. Buy now, or wait? And then convert the prices into the currency of your choice, and post the prices you can get the lenses for. This should be interesting.

09-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I would buy the discounted ones. No doubt in my mind. Sure, the new lenses might be somewhat better, but that is an unknown still. The discounts are known, and they are now!

Wish we would see some discounts here up north as well! But then I'd just end up buying more than what I intended
09-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would take the discount and run. A bird in the hand is worth several in the bush.

How significantly better can the new lenses be, over and above the current ones? Some improvement, but probably not a lot. Take the discount and be happy, all the way to the bank.

09-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Wish we would see some discounts here up north as well!
I guess it comes down to the size (or rather lack of it ) of our country. It makes many 'relationships' to become informal (plus you can literally cross the whole country and find somebody who knows somebody who you know as well).

The shop that sells Pentax is a B&M store, has been running for close to a century now, and has competent and friendly staff, and does discounts like this every now and then for lots of different brands.

09-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Haven't tried the new Limiteds...but my 40mm and 70mm Limited lens are very sharp.
09-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd buy the new HD silver 15mm. For the 40 and the 70, probably buy the older discounted versions, but we'll see after I get the HD silver 15mm.
09-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Mr_Canuck

If the differences between the new HD lenses and the old crappy ones are in any way detectable to the human eye, it will be under the most extreme pixel peeping under 100% controlled environment. Then again, I have not clue because I have not tried them. But this is my prediction... that there are about 98 other factors that will influence the quality of your photograph long before the mysterious and Ricoh-esque HD coating will.

Here's what I'm almost totally sure of though: these new red-banded, non-Pentax-branded lenses are a first step in the re-branding of Pentax as Ricoh. It's about branding and marketing. Period. The HD is just an excuse to do so because image quality is going to be (see above) indistinguishable one from another. You read it here first.

RicohForums.com here we come. (Someday)

09-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My opinion is this : even though the new versions are surely excellent, the Limiteds are already regarded as among the best lenses ever made. So you cannot go wrong even with the older versions, they are just as good today as they were yesterday.

At the discounted prices you list, if you can afford them AND if you were considering purchasing some of these lenses anyway, I would buy now.

for the record I own the 21 and 40, and I've rarely seen glass with such a high quality and personality.
09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Post what you would do in this case. Buy now, or wait?
My guess is that the new coating process just takes some variability out of the equation.
So if your sellers have a good return policy, buy now.
09-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Buy the old discounted - they are great lenses. Though of course I do not know, I bet you would be hard pressed to be able to see much difference between the two.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
Here's what I'm almost totally sure of though: these new red-banded, non-Pentax-branded lenses are a first step in the re-branding of Pentax as Ricoh. It's about branding and marketing. Period.
I sincerely hope that you are wrong, but I fear that you are right! But why would Ricoh start using their name (great photocopiers) for cameras? Pentax is a much better camera name than Ricoh, IMHO.
09-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd just like to say - should have pointed out in the OP - I'm not necessarily planning to buy any of these. I just threw this out to the Forum to see what everybody thought of it. (For ex. the price ratio, …)
09-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's what I'm almost totally sure of though: these new red-banded, non-Pentax-branded lenses are a first step in the re-branding of Pentax as Ricoh.

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I sincerely hope that you are wrong, but I fear that you are right!
Heh, for me it's the other way around, sort of. I don't really care what the label says, but I don't believe there are any plans to re-brand Pentax to anything else.
09-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

At those prices the answer is simple, buy secondhand lenses.
09-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's what I'm almost totally sure of though: these new red-banded, non-Pentax-branded lenses are a first step in the re-branding of Pentax as Ricoh. It's about branding and marketing. Period.
Please explain what makes you totally sure these lenses are non-Pentax branded. The way I read the beauty ring the 40 says HD Pentax-DA 40mm Limited.

Your certainty is contrary to every statement made by Ricoh since they bought Pentax from Hoya. I'm not saying you aren't correct, I just want to know what makes you totally sure.
09-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Please explain what makes you totally sure these lenses are non-Pentax branded. The way I read the beauty ring the 40 says HD Pentax-DA 40mm Limited.

Off course they don't just dump it in one day. Little steps at a time. First it was removed from the company name. Then from the internet, now from the products. It's no longer a brand, Pentax doesn't exist anymore, it's merely a product line now. And they want to make sure everybody knows that. Canon-EOS, Panasonic-lumix, Ricoh-Pentax. No longer an entity like under Hoya, but just a product line. It's what happened to Minolta when it was bought my Sony all over again. Remember what Sony said about that?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Your certainty is contrary to every statement made by Ricoh since they bought Pentax from Hoya. I'm not saying you aren't correct, I just want to know what makes you totally sure.
In my country there is a saying: "Actions always confirm that the words were lies." I believe in you country there is a similar saying: "Actions speak louder then words." The latter is a little less crude.