Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please help to identify this 135mm f2.8 lens

I recently acquired a lens that has become a bit of mystery to me. The lens has no brand markings on it - the only text there says :

AUTO TELE-
1:2.8 f = 135mm

And on the bottom there is a tiny text engraved saying :

LENS MADE IN JAPAN

The lens is in M42 mount with switch marked A M, for either auto and manual aperture control.

Having some other nice 135mm lenses I wouldn't bother at all - if only this one hasn't been this darn good !
It has beaten hand down my Tokina 135mm 2.8 - as Tokina used to have a little bit of softness at 2.8 - this one here is just sharp ! Also some other lenses I had - mostly strange branded and also SMC M 135 has failed to compete against this unknown and unbranded lens. The colors are great and the bokeh is fantastic ! Furthermore - it focuses down to 1.35m and has awesome build quality - but still is very light at the same time , 360g. Additionally it has got some sort of coatings - both front and the back are having strong bluish tint - especially rear element, plus the lens has good resistance to flare as shots against the sun still were good with only slight loss in contrast.

So all in all - quite a sleeper if you ask me - and I got it in nearly immaculate condition!
I just need to solve this mystery - what lens is that, can someone point me into any direction ?
Below are photos of the lens , and then samples taken with my K10D.

Below are samples taken with my K10D - all @ 2.8 - shoot as JPG in camera and resized in irfanview ( right click on each sample and select show image - or similar option - so you can review the image in full resolution - which is about 1800+ pix wide ).

Last shot was either shoot @2.8 or @4 - not sure as I forgot to note and exif doesn't contain aperture in this case - but a hint is there in that I shoot it at ISO 100 and 1/1250s. - quite fast and there was a lot of clouds - so quite possible that I shoot it also at 2.8 !!

Last edited by manntax; 09-27-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added links to imaged and thumbnails
09-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some awesome shots!!! nice lens!!!!
09-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

A prototype perhaps, that somehow found its way out of the lab? Hence the omission of the brand name, which should have been engraved after the dash?
09-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
some awesome shots!!! nice lens!!!!
Exactly ! I was like WHAAT ? when I saw how good it performs - and no brand on it - how come ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
A prototype perhaps, that somehow found its way out of the lab? Hence the omission of the brand name, which should have been engraved after the dash?
That I didn't consider indeed - could be the case. I mean I dont mind unknown - or strangely branded glass - but having not put ANY brand on it - who would want to release such anonymous lens ?

here is another quick example with my boy, today at late afternoon. The sun was shining on oposite wall hence the yellowish light. Shoot @ 2.8 :

Last edited by manntax; 09-27-2013 at 08:53 AM.
09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

That lens is a keeper, name or no name!
09-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wow...it's a definite keeper!!!
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #7

Can you show us the other side of the front ring? I'm guessing it's a serial number, but maybe there will be some clue there.

09-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
That lens is a keeper, name or no name!
wow...it's a definite keeper!!!
Yeah, I figured that already - this unbranded fellow has beaten up badly my Tokina AND SMC Pentax M 135 3.5. Tomorrow I'll see a friend who has Pentacon MC 135 2.8 so I will try how this one compares. Anyways already amazed - and the only question I have is : who made it ??
09-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

keep is posted....thanks for sharing!!
09-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
keep is posted....thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for looking at Photography is all about sharing after all

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
Can you show us the other side of the front ring? I'm guessing it's a serial number, but maybe there will be some clue there.
There you go mate, the serial number there only : 131001
09-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

What size is the filter ring? How many aperture blades?

It is showing some slight resemblance to my Suntar, but the barrel design is different. They both go to 100ft/30m, infrared mark at f4, the M/A markings directly under the aperture markings and the switch on the opposite side right by the "LENS MADE IN JAPAN" engraving.
09-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
What size is the filter ring? How many aperture blades?

It is showing some slight resemblance to my Suntar, but the barrel design is different. They both go to 100ft/30m, infrared mark at f4 and the M/A markings directly under the aperture markings.
The lens has 6 aperture blades and the filter size is 55 mm. I was thinking about this serial number. usually first two numbers shows a year or producer , on vivitars there is also next week of production. so if we take 13 for producer, perhaps 1 - or 10 - would be the week, then last number left is either 01 or 001 - that would perhaps make some sense with that prototype theory. And since the lens was for in-house use - perhaps no one bothered to polish the design of front plate with brand name. Perhaps it was even done somewhere and then was going to be branded differently - just guessing now.
09-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Inactive Account

That is a match to my Suntar as well.
09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That is a match to my Suntar as well.
How about the IQ wise - is it also surprisingly good ? Can you post a photo if it ?
09-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
How about the IQ wise - is it also surprisingly good ? Can you post a photo if it ?
I never really got along with it, the image quality not bad, I think the lack of close focus ability is part of it and the fact that I haven't bought a suitable hood for it yet.

Terrible cell phone pictures because the K-5's battery is charging:

Like I said, the barrel design is different, but there are similarities. It does have a slight blue tint to the glass as well, but it is hard to capture with my phone.