Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Found a rare-ish lens...Pentax 24-50mm

I was kind of inspired to look for a wide-normal zoom because of a post on MFF of a rare Oly 24-40mm. I came across ones such as the Tamron 24-48 and the various Kiron (?) 24-40s. This seemed like an attractive length to me because it's almost like the kit lens while not as wide. But...the constant f/4 aperture is appealing.

Imagine my surprise when I went into my local shop, who by the way, have been fairly cleaned out of used gear...and there it was. For the Madison locals, it was Star Photo on Willy Street. It was on my short list among Pentax 24mm's. This will be my new walk around when I don't need/want 16mm and don't want a 28mm prime on the camera. Plus...the unique factor is nifty Small, light, easy to use, 35-75mm (ish) coverage

Here she is, and please excuse my laziness in using the onboard flash:

And a test shot, followed by 100% crops. This is informal, don't curse me lol Onboard flash again. This pic was wide open f/4 24mm, and the Mi goreng pack in the center was the focus point. I love ramen by the way

Center:

Lower left corner...a harsh test, I know:

I normally don't pixel-peep, but this seemed like a good subject to check out

03-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same one, but in Af version: F 24-50/4

Optically it's the same. I wasn't using mine very much but lately I discovered how good it actually is... Very nice, although my gripe would be the turning barrel when you focus... Have fun with yours!
03-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Banned

I almost purchased one of those awhile back at a local camera store but I had those ranges covered (at the time) so I decided against it. but I love lenses (as we all do) especially A series, I'm a bit jealous. have fun with it!
03-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Marc: I can definitely see this lens getting a lot of use. It's not a "megazoom" so it won't work for all situations, but that's not how I shoot anyway. So far, I'm really impressed with it

Seamuis: When I was deciding for/against it, I remembered we only live once...how many of us have multiple 28/50/100mm lenses! The great thing is: they're all different and produce their own results