Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
are SMC FA 77mm F1.8 Limited and SMC DA 70mm F2.4 AL in the same league?

i mean if we close our eyes with their tagging price

are those two lenses have similar quality? friend of me ever told me that the DA have the sharpness superiority rather than its sibling, by the center to the edges.

your comment..

05-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

very subjective question... i think technically, if you look at photozone, the DA70 is a better lens. some people have switched from FA77 to DA70 because of the reduced CA and the faster focusing, quickshift and smaller size.

in terms of rendering, i think they are quite similar, but the 77 opens up wider for more magic
plus the FA77 is a guaranteed FF frame lens where as no one is 100% sure with the DA70 on FF
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #3

Both lenses are some of the best you can buy, period. There are pros and cons to each lens. Personally, my favorite is the DA 70mm. The 70mm is an excellent all purpose tele, that is reasonably fast, SHARP straight from max aperture all the way across the frame. The 77mm is also an excellent tele, it is faster than the 70mm, but also not quite as sharp at small apertures. Some argue that the 77mm has better bokeh than the 70, but in my use of both lenses, I do not find that to be the whole truth. Where the 77mm has its advantages is in the very shallow DOF that the 1.8 allows, thus apparently having better bokeh. Matching fstop to fstop, I find little difference in the way images are rendered.

It all boils down to what you want/need, if portraiture is your main use, the 77 may be the better choice due to its shallow DOF (not that the 70 is a slouch in this area), however the smaller size, quick shift focusing, and generally better overall image quality of the 70mm makes it my top pick.
05-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
such a quick responses..

thank you guys.. i started this thread because im thinking about medium telephoto lately and want more arsenal for that. yes i like portrait, so i love bokeh too, and i like traveling and shooting nature also.

i tried to compare those two lenses at the lens review here, but it seem they're on par and very subjective to the owner. so i need some body who has those two lenses putting their apple to apple judgement here..

right now what i see that the FA is worth to collect because probably Pentax will stop producing it soon. I dont know if im right about this. But DA .. is their latest enhancement, and with lower price also. which off course ..tempting

@kbrabble
do you have some photos example from these two lenses

@k100d
thank you..

05-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #5

As stated above, both are fantastic lenses. If you're trying to decide which one to get it's a matter of weighing up a few things.

If you have any intention at all of shooting film, get the 77. Although I believe the 70 does cover a full frame you can only use it on late film bodies because it lacks an aperture ring.

I don't think the resolution differences are really important since both lenses are such good performers though if you're interested, the photozone.de reviews are quite detailed. I have no hesitation in using my 77 wide open which cannot be said of most lenses, even some quite good ones.

Matthew
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

if you need more help, check out:
the discussion and the photos (they've been moved to the 2nd link)
DA 70mm Ltd / FA 77mm Ltd Bokeh Images [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Digital SLR and Lens Review: By popular demand: Pentax DA 70mm Limited compared to FA 77mm

and also
Should I get 77mm or 70mm? - Photo.net Pentax Forum

i've read a lot about this as you can see
as well if you're using this focal length wide open for more isolating shots, you probably don't need the sharpest corners anyways
05-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@k1ood -thank you

hahahaha

i just read all those link you gave me.. , the fa seem gave slight brighter picture rather than da. but she gave slight more pf rather than da also..

from the writer

Oliver, I would recommend... both lenses ;-)

Seriously, the DA 70mm fits very nicely the K100D and the FA 77mm the K10D. You can't be wrong with either.

OK, I personally prefer the FA 77mm, but it's totally irrational.
10:50 PM

--

i think it will be depend with how much money i'll have next month (?) and the availibity of those two lenses.

--