Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #1

HELP......Sigma 70-210 lense

I recently got a sigma 70-210mm f4-5.6 UCII lense for my Pentax K10D (second hand and quite cheap)
Its auto focus and everything worked fine when I got it. I took the lense off to put one of my other ones on, when I put my 70-210 lense on again the auto focus wouldn't work!!! I can feel that the focus motor has connected with the lense. On the camera lcd display for apature it says F----- . The Crazy thing is that I can still adjust the apature using the rear e-dial but I just can't see it untill after I take the photo and I check the photo info. the other crazy thing is that even though it is only a f4.0 lens if a flick the rear e-dial all thy way back ( and keep flicking for a while) I take the photo and looking at the photo info it says that it was taken at f1.2 apature (wow what a great lense!!!!)
All these problems happend once before but it suddenly started working again
I hope somone can help me!!!

Last edited by Emmanuel; 05-12-2008 at 02:53 AM. Reason: typos :)
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would think that there's dirty contacts. SO I'd start by cleaning the contacts on the lens.
05-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
JMS

Definitely dirty contacts. If all the contacts are shorted, a lens will appear as an f1.2 lens.
05-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes I actually had a suspision that the contacts where shortened but I rubbed them with a lint free cloth but they seem to have gone shorter!!!!! how do I lengthen the contacts
??????? I really like this lense and would like it to work

05-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emmanuel Quote
Yes I actually had a suspision that the contacts where shortened but I rubbed them with a lint free cloth but they seem to have gone shorter!!!!! how do I lengthen the contacts
??????? I really like this lense and would like it to work
The contacts are actually like little ball bearings sitting on a spring. The problem is that they are not returning to make contact, from your description. Use a loupe or magnifying glass and check them out carefully. You might actually have a piece of lint from the cloth keeping them down.

Dont' forget to clean the camera contacts as well. Use a micro fiber cloth with a drop of methyl alcohol on the cloth. Clean gently, not forcefully.
05-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Right-ee-oo I'll give it a go
Thanks for your help
05-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
I took the lens to a friend (who knows heaps more about the technical side of things than me) and he examined it with a magnyfiying glass. there is one contact that is not sticking up as much as the rest. He said that is has hardly been worn while the other contacts have got a worn patch on them. He thought that it was probably a manufaturers fault because it apears to have been like that for a long time. Anyway we cleaned them using methylated spirits and a micro fibre cloth..
the lense has been working fine ever since ....................well so far at least. perhaps that contact was dirty and with the short conection it wouldn't take much to stop it from conecting. it is still shorter than all the rest of the contacts
anyways I'm happy

05-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That contact is supposed to be down and it's normal. What fixed the problem was the cleaning. As CR said always use a microfibre cloth because they are much more lint free. Clean the camera contacts a s well periodically too.
05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
Ok thats interesting....... Do you have any idea as to why they have some contacts up and some down???