Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
Inactive Account

I have been thinking something like this for a some time, but instead of doing the mods on the lenses, how about just cutting mirror of the 5D? Or do the lenses portrude too far inside?
With it's prices coming down I think it would be a more cost effective solution and maybe less of a blasphemy.

Anyone know any examples of this mod?

-muus

06-15-2008, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
FA 77 Ltd on 5D(FF)

I really like the tones of pentax lenses...

06-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
The power and charm of FA 31 Ltd on 5D(FF)....

Last edited by stevenlin; 06-15-2008 at 12:51 PM.
06-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by muustuus Quote
I have been thinking something like this for a some time, but instead of doing the mods on the lenses, how about just cutting mirror of the 5D? Or do the lenses portrude too far inside?
With it's prices coming down I think it would be a more cost effective solution and maybe less of a blasphemy.

Anyone know any examples of this mod?

-muus
1.I have not destroyed these lens,and can again assemble as necessary.

2.The mirror of 5D cannot be cutting,because that may cause the disintegration.

3.do the lenses portrude too far inside.....no....That will cause unable to be burnt when infinite .

06-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I like the shots from the lenses, gives an impression of what to expect from them on FF. Makes the 77 seem almost a little too wide for portrait, lol. Lovely shot of the dog in the grass.
06-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The is a lot of alternative glass used on Canon bodies due to their short register distance. On the 5D some lenses exhibit mirror clerance issues, some crafty individuals do a mirror shave themselves, some send it in to get it shaved. I would have never dared such a procedure had i owned a 5D, lucily mirror issues did not exist for my lwoly30D.
And without the adaptability and me touching old Takumars, i may have never found my way over here.

A shame he had to remove parts to use it, then again, most 5D owners are hard core Canon+alternative glass users who couldn't care less if the lens no longer works on the original body.

I am still tempted to try a Rokkor 58/1.2 to K-Mount conversion, but those would be $300 (pretty hyped up lens by now) i could use towards a 50-135/2.8.

If you wonder which of your Pentax glass works fine and which doesn't, hit up the alternative gear forum on fredmiranda.com all that sexy old glass on 5Ds and 1D* friends.

Edit: although i admit those shots make me wanna get a cheap tele zoom and invest in more primes, like 70/2.4.
06-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #22
Banned

I'm glad these lenses weren't damaged but I thinks its sickening that canon owners are destroying our lenses just to use them on their bodies... go destroy your own old lenses not ours!:ugh:

06-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I'm glad these lenses weren't damaged but I thinks its sickening that canon owners are destroying our lenses just to use them on their bodies... go destroy your own old lenses not ours!:ugh:
I actually find it quite ironic that Canon users turn to PENTAX when it comes to high-quality optics.

Eat your hearts out, please.
06-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Lovely pics Steven. The lenses make the picture more lively. Good work. I have seen your pics posted on pentaxfans.com.tw with the canon pentax combo.
06-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
A shame he had to remove parts to use it, then again, most 5D owners are hard core Canon+alternative glass users who couldn't care less if the lens no longer works on the original body.
i am skeptical of this statement. how do you know this is true?
06-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i am skeptical of this statement. how do you know this is true?
Alternative Gear & Lenses - FM Forums might get you an idea.

It's Canon users and not Pentax or Nikon users due to the 44mm register distance on a EF Canon body.
06-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, Canon FD lenses are the one type they can't adapt.....which is a shame, nice FD glass out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I actually find it quite ironic that Canon users turn to PENTAX when it comes to high-quality optics.

Eat your hearts out, please.
Aside from the famed Takumars, there are tons of popular Zuikos, but further more Zeiss and Leica (R) and even Nikon lenses that all fetch a pretty penny.
Often the forum mentioned in previous reply seems to influence used lens prices, as whitnessed on at least The Rokkor MC 58/1.2

Rokkor 58/1.2 EOS Howto Complete - FM Forums

I may some day spend the $$ and convert this lens to P/K mount, using the chinese M42 to P/K with flange as new mount.
06-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Well, Canon FD lenses are the one type they can't adapt.....which is a shame, nice FD glass out there.

thats rather ironic isn't it?
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

thats rather ironic isn't it?
Yeah, or ingenious, pushing the envelope with no way to keep your old glass means more $$$ in lens sales, no?
Not that Pentax didn't manage to further sell lenses while making sure you can use any lens from the M42 Takumars to K, KA, KAF and on even my K20D, for that reason i now own a K20D, and for that reason they will sell a 50-135/2.8 next week (from looks of it), all just because i didn't have to get rid of my Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and S-M-C 135/3.5 when i switched bodies/brands

Now if i could only find a black Pentax Polo shirt, i'd order that with the 50-135/2.8, i will in any event buy the baseball cap.....
06-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Yeah, or ingenious, pushing the envelope with no way to keep your old glass means more $$$ in lens sales, no?

which is of course why they can tout 40 million nikkors made. they cant even use there own legacy glass.