Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #46

Interesting thread.

I am waiting for my M42 adaptor to arrive so I can mount my "new" Pentax Tak 50/1.4 onto my Canon 5D.

Photography is a creative, expressive undertaking. It also suits the minds of those who like to tinker with technology. The "Alternative Lens" forum at Fred Miranda is mainly the playing ground of full frame Canon digital users. The short film plane to flange distance on the Canon EF mount means that it is "possible" to mount lenses, both old and new, onto serious cameras like the 5D and 1D series etc. Not so with the Nikon mount.

The reason for this whole phenomenon are varied. Some are looking for cheaper lenses, lower contrast lenses, sharper lenses or some kind of mystical bokeh trait. Some just want to play. A certain percentage of the digital camera buying market will choose the Canon platform just because of the extra "possibilities" that the short Canon flange distance offers.

Certain lenses, like the Rookor 58/1.2 have gone way up in price due to this activity. I bet that a lot of the manual focus Pentax 50/1.2 buyers are in fact Canon users.

I can see how fans of Pentax/Minolta/Olympus/Zeiss might feel that the "Canon crowd" are stepping on their turf and are not welcome. In some cases these lenses are being "altered" to fit the Canon EOS mount. As a long time Pentax user I can understand the scorn that might bring. But its a personal choice and people should be able to do whatever they like with a lens they purchase with their own hard earned money.

One of the flip sides to this issue is that there is renewed interest in older lenses and the manufactures that made them. The store owner that sold me my old Tak was pleased that this lens, that had been sitting on the shelf for a long time, was going to be out taking images again. The same thing goes for new glass. Pentax might be selling more lenses because Canon users are intrigued with the fresh creative options that buying lenses like the FA Limited series offers.

Max

02-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #47
Veteran Member

A great thread gets bumpity bumped back to the top

A great thread gets bumpity bumped back to the top of the thread pile

QuoteOriginally posted by stevenlin Quote
02-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Go away RiceHigh Jr.
02-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevenlin Quote
FA 77 Ltd on 5D(FF)

I really like the tones of pentax lenses...

Yes, it's almost FujiFilm like

Have you tried Zeiss ZEs yet?

02-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Yes, it's almost FujiFilm like
What is FujiFilm like? Downsampled images on your monitor?
02-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
You've been doing a whole lot of that lately, and it's annoying.
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
You've been doing a whole lot of that lately, and it's annoying.
I hope he's trying to get banned.

11-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #53

Great Steven! You made a graet job but sorry, could you show some pics of the modifications. I can't understand what kind of you made.
I also have a 5D MarkII and some great pentax lens I would like to use such as the K15/3.5 and K50/1.2
Thanks!
01-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexidro Quote
Great Steven! You made a graet job but sorry, could you show some pics of the modifications. I can't understand what kind of you made.
I also have a 5D MarkII and some great pentax lens I would like to use such as the K15/3.5 and K50/1.2
Thanks!
Up...