Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma EX 100-300mm f/4 DG IF

I have in sight in Adorama this lens

"Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax AF Cameras"

It seems to have a good price there, but I wonder if this item is actually a non-APO version? I think there a two versions (APO and non APO). Tried to ask that from Adorama, of course, twice already, but I have not got ANY answers and almost three weeks .

Does anyone know, by any change, which version Adorama is selling. I am a little pissed that they don't answer simple questions...

06-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think all of them are APO versions. However, the original one in not DG, the later one is. Only thing different is an extra coating on one of the rear elements to help control CCD light reflection. The third version is the macro version, and now there will be a fourth version.

The version I own is the non-DG version, and honestly, the DG coating really isn't needed. Then again, I always use the hood, so maybe that helps control the light well enough.

Wasn't the rubber ribbing different on the non-DG and DG versions? Maybe you can tell from that? Depending on the price, either version will serve you well.
06-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The version here is APO:

Amazon.com: Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM APO Fast Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Note that the descriptions seem the same... ie: Two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements in the front lens group and another two in the rear group offer excellent correction of chromatic aberration.

If worried that they are not the same, why not write Adorama an email? Or, simply purchase from Amazon as they are the same price...

woof!
06-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Checked mine (the pre-DG version). It says APO on the barrel, so, they are all APO lenses. Then, went to the Adorama web site and they list it as the DG version. Seems a little expensive to me...for a used lens. For just about 10% more, you can get a brand new one.

06-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
The version here is APO:

Amazon.com: Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM APO Fast Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Note that the descriptions seem the same... ie: Two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements in the front lens group and another two in the rear group offer excellent correction of chromatic aberration.

If worried that they are not the same, why not write Adorama an email? Or, simply purchase from Amazon as they are the same price...

woof!
Thanks, that was the problem, I wrote to then twice already, but got no answer, that why I asked this community...
06-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Checked mine (the pre-DG version). It says APO on the barrel, so, they are all APO lenses. Then, went to the Adorama web site and they list it as the DG version. Seems a little expensive to me...for a used lens. For just about 10% more, you can get a brand new one.
Where did you get the impression it was a used lend, I thought I was looking at a new lens?

See: 134109 Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax AF Cameras

Anyway from your answers (woof and volosong) I take it is in fact an APO lens.

Amazon does not ship to Finland, and to me Adorama seems to have a good price, considering the currency conversion rate, I take it they do not add any taxes when exporting?

Any tip for cheaper place to by from is appreciated though!
06-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote

"Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax AF Cameras"

It seems to have a good price there, but I wonder if this item is actually a non-APO version? I think there a two versions (APO and non APO). Tried to ask that from Adorama, of course, twice already, but I have not got ANY answers and almost three weeks .

Does anyone know, by any change, which version Adorama is selling. I am a little pissed that they don't answer simple questions...
Hi

firstly, I must apologise that nobody at Adorama has responded to your enquiries. I can only imagine how frustrated (and annoyed?) you must be feeling with Adorama - and quite rightly so!

I have emailed the departmental manager myself to try & find out what is going on, that enquiries are not being attended to.

I have also passed your query directly to one of our senior managers, & hope to have a more speeedy response, for you.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly in the future, if you require any advice or information - while I am not technical, I can usually circumnavigate our internal systems to find someone who is!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

06-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was going to buy that one from Adorama a month or so ago but they are slow at getting shippments out so I canceled and bought from Amazon.

I have recently had similar problem that it took a week for them to ship the last item. (Sigma 1.4x TC ). After seeing Helens Osters link I emailed and it was shipped that day.

I think Adorama is a good retailer but they do have a problem getting items shipped. Maybe you'll have better luck. Something I lack in, so I call myself Grampa Murphy

Thanks Helen for expediting.

Good luck gawan, you'll love this lens. I am sure this lens is the APO version from Adorama.

Peace,
Oren
06-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

Hi again

So, I have an answer for you: This is right from Sigma’s description “The Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM telephoto zoom lens provides a large constant f/4 maximum aperture at all focal lengths. The use of Apochromatic design and 4 SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements give full correction of chromatic aberration and provide a high level of optical performance.

So, what Adorama is selling is an Apochromatic, ie APO lens.

Hope this helps - and again, my apologies for the delay in responding to your query

Sincerely

Helen Oster
06-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Hi again

So, I have an answer for you: This is right from Sigma’s description “The Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM telephoto zoom lens provides a large constant f/4 maximum aperture at all focal lengths. The use of Apochromatic design and 4 SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements give full correction of chromatic aberration and provide a high level of optical performance.

So, what Adorama is selling is an Apochromatic, ie APO lens.

Hope this helps - and again, my apologies for the delay in responding to your query

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Helen,

I am impressed that you have taken so seriously my complaint - both here and in the other thread elsewhere. I Already sent an email to you before I saw this answer. You have restored my confidence, thank you very much!

That description is of course about the newest version Sigma has, I just did not know if you were selling some earlier batch of stock, but concluding from your post it seems that you will deliver the latest, will you not?
06-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nothing to do with the lens under discussion, but I must comment on how impressed I am with the fact that Helen Oster has taken the trouble to respond publicly in here. Even the fact that she is reading these forums is very impressive

Well done, Helen - you are being an excellent ambassador for Adorama

And hopefully you will also be giving feedback to Adorama that there is a very active community here of Pentax users, most of whom have LBA and CBA (Lens Buying Addiction and Camera Buying Addiction).

Stick around here on PentaxForums, and I'm sure you will create a lot of good will for Adorama, as well as generating the odd sale here and there...

Just one question, from Down Under (as there are several members in here from Australia): I tried to purchase some stuff from B & H once, but they required photocopies of both sides of my credit card (unheard of with any other online purchase in my experience). I am certainly NOT happy to have my credit card image, complete with signature and security number floating around somewhere other than in my wallet. Does Adorama require something similar? Or do you simply trade using the credit card number online as does virtually every other online merchant? Needless to say, I cancelled my order with B & H, which was for a couple of thousand dollars worth of stuff.
06-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Helen. Since you are being so nice in this thread, I have a request. Would you kindly send, free of charge, the new Tamron 70-200 f2.8 when they are available in Pentax mount?

Seriously, it is really cool to see you responding in these threads. I have purchased a few items from Adorama, and have had no complaints, but it's nice to know you check in here every so often, and we can contact you.
06-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I bought my lens, I tried to buy this from Adorama as they said they had it in stock. When I called to order it because I wanted it over night, they said it will take them 3 days to get it in and then they will over night it to me. I said no and bought it from Amazon and had it the next day with free shipping...I tried buying another lens from adorama and paid paypal and requested 3 day shipping and two weeks later, I canceled my order...Just two weeks later, I ordered a battery and a new bag and again both where ''in stock'' and again this past friday, I called and canceled as I again did not get my order...So I will never try Adorama ever again. B&H along with Amazon are simply awesome...Even when I bought my Sigma 500 F/4.5 i had it in three days...The only good thing with Adorama was that it was easy to cancel my orders. No problems at all with that...Oh, and I hated the hassle of trying to get through on the phone...please press 1, please press 2, Please call 888888888 arg....
06-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Where did you get the impression it was a used lend, I thought I was looking at a new lens?...
Sorry. A mis-assumption on my part. I didn't realize that new Pentax mount were available.

Adorama is a good vendor. I've purchased a few things from them. I got my two Sigma EX zooms from Sigma4less.
06-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

is this HSM version actually HSM? i remember reading in another post, that for Pentax the lens might not be HSM. i'm wondering whether or not the lens will work with the K100D.