Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First few days with the Takumar 17mm f/4 FE

This is a fun lens for sure... Got it on ebay... I don't find it to be as impressive in color, contrast, and sharpness as, for instance, my 28/3.5 Super-multi-coated Tak., but I got the non SMC version of the 17mm and I think a very good copy of the 28/3.5 so that may play into it.

I find the fish-eye distortion to add to the photos rather than distract, and as my widest lens, I'm grateful for the new perspectives available to me.

Here's a few shots. A couple are very boring shots just to show off the ability of the lens to show off a wide area. A couple are more fun...

I love the great depth of field to show a subject in context...

Everybody loves their fish-eye face...

I got this lens specifically for landscapes, so you'll be seeing more from it as soon as I can get it out in the woods...

06-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

thanks for sharing!
looks quite good,

Andreas
06-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I got this lens specifically for landscapes, so you'll be seeing more from it as soon as I can get it out in the woods...
Ok, I haven't gotten out in the woods with this lens yet, but I've shot with it a bit more, so I thought I'd update this thread, as Andreas is interested...

I do quite like this lens. As someone in the lens review database pointed out, you can almost ignore the focus ring on this thing, since almost everything is at infinity ;-)

Compared to the 50/1.4 and 28/3.5 I have, I'd say this lens is not quite as sharp or contrasty, and exhibits more flare and CA, but none of these deficiencies is a show stopper. I believe the flare might be handled better by the SMC version.

Here's a recent shot...
Here's a 100% crop from the middle...

Some CA exhibited...

You can compare these two shots (click 'em to see 'em big) to see the sensitivity of the lens to flare. Interesting the flare is often negligible, but sometimes it's a photo killer.

Another thing I've noticed is that the lack of a hood or external filter, combined with the convexity of the front element means that you have to be careful to avoid bumping the lens on anything. I haven't bumped it yet, but I've come close a couple times.
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It looks like a nice little lens,

I wouldn't mind finding one I'd really like that size, although I'd prefer something a little faster.

06-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Super nice! I assume these are on a digital - are you going to try it out in full glory, on film?
06-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Super nice! I assume these are on a digital - are you going to try it out in full glory, on film?
Yeah, shot with a K200D. I'd love to see the full effect on a film camera, but I don't have one.
06-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Yeah, shot with a K200D. I'd love to see the full effect on a film camera, but I don't have one.
I have some that would love it. Send it to me and I'll share the photos with you.

06-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #8

I have the K-version of this lens, going load my MX and have the real effect of the FE lens. It's really not the same with a digital camera, but it's nice for landscape!

Cheers,

Mike