Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
help FA 50 1.4 Focus issues

So I have noticed many of my 50 1.4's pictures to be front focused. So last night under tungsten light I grab a magazine page and set the focus perfect with my k20D at -10. take some test shots indoors, they all look sharp. Then today I used it in the shade and everything was backfocusing. i readjusted it to 0 and it got the focus right about 60% of the time. Is there a solution to make it focus right all the time under both artificial and natural light???

06-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In short, no. It's just a quirk of the lens I am afraid, it drove me BEZERK when I first got it. I sent it and my body in to be fixed, it took weeks and the shipped it to the wrong address but it now works.

QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
So I have noticed many of my 50 1.4's pictures to be front focused. So last night under tungsten light I grab a magazine page and set the focus perfect with my k20D at -10. take some test shots indoors, they all look sharp. Then today I used it in the shade and everything was backfocusing. i readjusted it to 0 and it got the focus right about 60% of the time. Is there a solution to make it focus right all the time under both artificial and natural light???
06-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess I have been lucky with my FA50 ... although trying to get focus right at f/1.4 is not easy at the best of times. But can't say I ahve had BF or FF problems with it on my K10D.
06-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
In short, no. It's just a quirk of the lens I am afraid, it drove me BEZERK when I first got it. I sent it and my body in to be fixed, it took weeks and the shipped it to the wrong address but it now works.
Sorry Alfisti, but I'm confused by your response -- did they fix something? My understanding of your first sentence was "In short, no . . ." there is NO solution to make it focus correctly. But then you say it now works.

My n00bie experiences with the FA 50 are here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/26337-50mm-f-1...us-issues.html (sorry, the pictures are gone)

Now I often manual-focus it because AF doesn't work that well, as qksilver (no relation) noted. Like qksilver, with indoor lighting, I ended up with -9 or -10 on the K20D lens compensation scale myself.

06-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
I am confused too. So sending it in will fix this issue???
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
anyone know??????
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I meant there is no easy solution. It is far better after repair but till a tad quirky at times.

It is worth sending in under warranty but be very, very aggressive in order to speak to the actual technician. If you rely on the numb nut behind the counter then good luck.

Be ultra specific, if it is at all possible to screw things up they will do it. My repair experience was a fiasco. At first they fixed nothing, then shipped to the wrong address, it was just a mess.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Sorry Alfisti, but I'm confused by your response -- did they fix something? My understanding of your first sentence was "In short, no . . ." there is NO solution to make it focus correctly. But then you say it now works.

My n00bie experiences with the FA 50 are here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/26337-50mm-f-1...us-issues.html (sorry, the pictures are gone)

Now I often manual-focus it because AF doesn't work that well, as qksilver (no relation) noted. Like qksilver, with indoor lighting, I ended up with -9 or -10 on the K20D lens compensation scale myself.

06-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
You could try an 80A filter under tungsten light to correct the light before the AF has a chance to do the wrong thing with it.