Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #31
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
I assume that aperture mechanism will not work automatically in this lens since it does not have "A" (automatic) position. According to user manual for my K200d that is required for automatic aperture to function.
So, even it has a similar aperture mechanism it will function in manual mode only. Is that correct?
Yes, it is correct. The Pentax-A lenses are different than the Pentax-M lenses. You can use A lens in any mode (M, Av, Sv, Tv, TAv, etc.) but the M lens can be used only in Manual mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
I just found this tutorial: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/3800-ca...unt-d-slr.html
I understood Soviet K mount lenses will work exactly the same way M42s work as described in tutorial above. Or I'm wrong???
No it is wrong. Soviet K mount lenses work only in Manual mode (changing the aperture from the lens).
Any M42 lens will work in Av mode and Manual mode, but you control the aperture from the lens).

07-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Soviet K mount lenses work only in Manual mode (changing the aperture from the lens).
Any M42 lens will work in Av mode and Manual mode, but you control the aperture from the lens).
Then there is no sense even for looking specifically for K mount lenses since M42 offer more functionality. However, not ease of use...

So, I guess I made right decision when ordered Mount Adapter B - I'm going to use it alot! M42 mount lenses are cheaper than dirt in Eastern Europe, and some of them are really good as I new from "35mm film" era and as this thread shows!

07-12-2008, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #33
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are few shots from today using the Volna-9.

Number 1 and 2 are shot wide open, 3,4 and 5 should be at f/4, number 6 should be f/5.6 and number 7 is at f/8.

07-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

The very last shot has very interesting bokeh shape. Not sure how to describe it but it is certainly unique and striking.

07-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #35
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As other lenses with split personality, the Volna-9 has it's own specifics. Due to the star shaped aperture blades the more stopped down the lens is, the more the highlight OOF disks turn into stars. This does not change the lens nice transition of the bokeh, even when stopped down it looks smooth.
07-12-2008, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Hi Voe,
adding up to the discussion about Volna9 vs. Industar 61LZ in the other thread here's at least one pic I had from the Industar61LZ. It's stopped down around f5.6, so star shape for shure.

I would bet though that the bokeh would be smoother with round aperture, likewise in your #5 and #7 pics (I'm not talking about the stars but the rest of the out of focus image). But maybe that is a misperception and the star distributes the bokeh in a nicer way .-)
Georg (the other)
07-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #37
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Georg,

I was also thinking whether the bokeh would be better with round aperture blades. I think the smooth transition should be thanks to the optics, but who knows.

If it is not a problem and you have the time and will, can you post some more shots from Industar 61LZ at various apertures? Or if you have another 50mm lens shoot with both and then post them here. Sorry to be a pain. Please don't feel obliged to do this.

Thanks,

Voe

07-12-2008, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

I only got two more so-so shots,

Industar 61LZ on K100D full open overcast day nopp no nothing.

Industar 61LZ on K100D f/5.6 nopp no nothing but cropped (click to view bigger)

Here you see the worst scenario, very near in-focus-object and very far away background with harsh highlights (and sensor dust :-) . In that respect, not too bad.

Voe, I've been scanning my drives for more pics, but I only have in-focus ones to offer, sorry! At least, I've tagged all my shots on the flickr and the picasa with the lenses. In this case, it doesn't get any further, sorry!

Georg
07-12-2008, 11:34 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

Jupiter 9

100% crop
07-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

anyone familiar with the Helios 40 85mm F/1.5 ? Any good?
07-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #41
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am waiting for mine to arrive. I think it is the top best soviet lens.
If you want to see samples go to: "http://club.foto.ru/forum/11/261862"
07-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Daniel,
how did you put the filters on the Zenitar, just screwd them in the thread of the two ears?

Georg (the other)

Georg

Two drops of crazy glue on each side will secure a 67mm filter ring to your Zen 16mm. Buy a couple of zero use brownish yellowish 67mm filters and take out the crap glass. That is it. Later on you can use a generic cheapo 67mm front cap as shown. As you can see , the Hoya HMC filter is a bland one too as using it for wide angle just degrade the image a lot

Daniel
07-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks Voe, for the link. I cann't translate but the photos are awesome. Now I cann't make up my mind which way to go.
How is purchasing and mailing system from those countries where these are more available.
Buying from out of the U.S always make me nervous.
07-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #44
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Same with me, buying from these countries does not make me very condident, but so far everything I purchased arrived, eventhough sometimes it took longer than expected. Before you buy check the ratings of the seller.

I expect mine to arrive next week, fingers crossed.

This is how it should look

07-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I hope you don't mind my asking but how much did you pay? Whats a good price? It looks like you got a clean copy. I guess there is a 40-2 model that is painted.
I just missed out on a Super Tak 85 1.8 so I am looking at one of these.
Good luck on the arrival of yours.