Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #5431
Banned

Photos: Albums
I think unscrewing those screws, moving back the ring and then tightening the screws should work. I've disassembled some M42 lenses and several have this mechanism where the outer layers are attached to the underlying structure via 3 screws.

But: the screw in the photo looks tightened already - is there any screw that looks looser (pops out more). If not, then there may be some other problem than the screws getting loose.

09-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #5432

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I think unscrewing those screws, moving back the ring and then tightening the screws should work. I've disassembled some M42 lenses and several have this mechanism where the outer layers are attached to the underlying structure via 3 screws.

But: the screw in the photo looks tightened already - is there any screw that looks looser (pops out more). If not, then there may be some other problem than the screws getting loose.
Indeed looking at the other two screws, they are a set a bit less deeply:

and

Intriguingly, that last one, now that I look closely, has a surrounding semi-circle (somewhat visible above) of dried something -- could it be Loctite or transparent nail polish I wonder? I'm starting to think a prior owner experienced this problem as well and his solution has now come undone...

Thanks for the advice!
--Dave

p.s. sorry for rubbish photos. I have no proper gear for macro work. Best I can do for now is bung a close-up lens (+1, +2, or +4) on my 50/1.4 or (as above) on my 135/3.5. If nothing else, this proves that I need a Macro-Tak 50/4 or some extension tubes!
09-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #5433
Banned

Photos: Albums
On Russian lenses, I saw some substance over such screws - I think it was meant as a seal, for warranty - to make sure that the owner doesn't do unauthorized repairs. But I don't remember seeing this on Takumars, so itmay have been a job done by a previous owner to fix a problem with the screw not holding well.

You should take it to a shop - it shouldn't be expensive to fix and they might have a replacement screw if that's the problem. I had an issue with a lens with sticky aperture and it cost me $50 to fix it, but that is a more difficult operation, because it requires taking out the aperture blades and cleaning them - your issue should cost less, I think. Support your local photo shop
09-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #5434
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Has anyone any idea how to fix this?.......
One of my Taks ( not sure which one it was, possibly a SMC 1.8/55 ) had the same problem: Yes, tightening these tiny screws fixed it!
Just make sure that the ring is at the exact correct position and tighten them. To me it seemed that the screws hardly moved at all, but that little bit they must have moved was enough to tighten back the ring

09-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #5435
Veteran Member

Pentax K20D
SMC Takumar 55/1.8

09-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #5436
Veteran Member

i went digging through all the photos i took at the weekend and found a good one with the 35mm tak

09-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #5437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Hi all. I've an equipment question here so I hope it's not too much distraction from the superb recent image postings. I have the old version 1 Super Tak 35/2 (the one with the large 67 mm filter diameter). Recently, the DOF indicator scale band (marked in red bracket in picture below) became loose so that it can now rotate just as the focusing grip or the aperture ring can do! Below, note that it's in what should be an impossible location, such that with the aperture rotated all the way left (which sets f/2), the "2" on the aperture ring is nowhere near the orange indicator line at the center of the DOF band:

Has anyone any idea how to fix this? Would it work to just tighten the screw marked below (and the other two like it at various points along the DOF band)?

Why post the question, rather than just try tightening the screws, you might wonder? The screws are absolutely minuscule, about 1 mm or slightly smaller. I would have to go buy a new screwdriver, as my smallest (3/64 inch or about 1.2 mm) is too big and does not fit. Also, I don't want to risk chewing up the heads of these screws for no reason. Anyway I'm hoping there's a way to fix this without totally disassembling the lens.

Thanks for any advice!
--Dave

The screws have backed out a little allowing the ring to spin. The easy solution is to buy the correct screwdriver (they come in handy anyway!), rotate the ring to the correct position and tighten the screws down. Three screws if i recall correctly. You can put a little dab of clear nail polish on the screw heads to help prevent them from backing out again. Good luck!

09-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #5438
Veteran Member

Metering of Taks on a Program Plus?

Hi all,

I decided to run some film through a program plus I picked up a while ago. I am currently using it with an M 50/1.7 lens, but am hoping to mount up something more fun like my 85/1.9 or 105/2.8 super taks.

My concern is over the metering. When I use the taks on my K-x, I use manual mode and press the green button to tell the camera to get a meter reading. If I dare to use av mode (I think that is what its called) the exposure is all over the place unless the lens is wide open. So I am concerned that the program plus will have similar problems. And I'd hate to blow a couple rolls of film on bad exposures.

The 2 modes that I think are supposed to work on the program plus with old lenses is:
manual mode
aperture priority (I pick the aperture and let the camera do the shutter).

Can anyone comment on what is the best/safest way to use taks on my program plus?

Thanks!
Sam

PS: After struggling to get a good focus with my K-x and manual lenses, the program plus with the split screen is like taking off a blindfold. Wowwwwwwwww... I just had an eyegasm.
09-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #5439
Veteran Member

Takumar 50/1.4 sunset

09-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #5440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote

PS: After struggling to get a good focus with my K-x and manual lenses, the program plus with the split screen is like taking off a blindfold. Wowwwwwwwww... I just had an eyegasm.
See why so many of us who use manual focus lenses a lot are always recommending swapping out the screens in DSLRs?

First thing I did when I got my K20D home from the store was to sit down at the computer and fire off an order for a Katz Eye.

First question I had when I read about the K5 was to wonder if a Katz Eye was available for it (or if I could swap out the one in my K20D). That I can't pull together the $$$ to actually buy one was my second concern.

Pentax K20D
SMC Takumar 55/1.8

09-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #5441
Veteran Member

Sam/Mike , do you have a link to that screen ?

Im having a bit of trouble with the small viewfinder and my Bifocals on the KX also and would like a fresnel or split screen to alleviate it
09-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #5442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote

Im having a bit of trouble with the small viewfinder and my Bifocals on the KX also and would like a fresnel or split screen to alleviate it
Dude,

I was referring to screen that comes "stock" from the factory in the pentax program plus.

I have not yet bought nor installed any aftermarket focus screens for any of my cameras.

But this experience is making me think a lot harder about buying a split focus screen for the K-x. I know there are a bunch of different ones available from pentax, katz eye, nikon(?), etc that will all fit the K-x. Clear your calendar, grab yourself a 12-pack of beer, and then do a search for terms like "katz eye" or "split focus screen".

- Sam
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #5443
Forum Member

Hi folks,

New member here. While going through some of my older camera gear, I ran across my father's prized lens (back in the day), the SMC Takumar 120mm f/2.8. It's in great shape, but has not seen light in years. I'd like to use it for portraits on a Canon 5DMK2 (please don't flame me - I'm still a Pentax owner also). Is there a place where I can purchase a mount adapter (SMC to EF)?

Thanks,
Gary
09-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #5444
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
See why so many of us who use manual focus lenses a lot are always recommending swapping out the screens in DSLRs?

First thing I did when I got my K20D home from the store was to sit down at the computer and fire off an order for a Katz Eye.

First question I had when I read about the K5 was to wonder if a Katz Eye was available for it (or if I could swap out the one in my K20D). That I can't pull together the $$$ to actually buy one was my second concern.

If the body is the same as the K-7 then I'm guessing that the Katz Eye will be the same. My K10D Katz Eye didn't fit in my K-7 but did my K20D. So I'm guessing the pattern will hold. I wouldn't shoot Takumars without one.
09-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #5445
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digadv Quote
Hi folks,

blahblahblah
Ebay.

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote

Pentax K100D K110D K200D K x Focusing Screen - KatzEye Optics