Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
About Fa 43mm ltd

HI All, I am planning on buying a 43mm Ltd and am a bit confused re whether it has a front filter thread. My interest is not so much fitting filter but for reversing the lens for macro on a K10D and MZ-5n. Can anyone advise, please?

Take care

David

10-13-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doing a quick Google search it looks like it'll take a 49mm filter, so it should be ideal.

Kenmore Camera, out of Wa state has a used reverse adapter for it for about $15.00.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a nice dedicated macro lens for less
10-13-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Stu, I have a reverse adapter and SMC A 50mm f2.8 macro and 50mm f1.7 I also use reversed for macro, plus auto extension tubes, helicoil extender and Auto Bellows (I like macro). It was just that some sites referred to a filter thread and some said no thread so I wasn't sure. I am buying the 43mm to have a top end close to main prime FA lens for the K10D/*istD/MZ-5n.

Thanks for your response.

David
10-13-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No, Fa 43mm ltd cannot take filters. The front element does not have a rim for the filter to be screwed onto.

10-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
No, Fa 43mm ltd cannot take filters. The front element does not have a rim for the filter to be screwed onto.
Roentarre, I wonder if the FA43s come in more than one design. On mine it has 49mm threads where the hood connects to. At times I have put on a filter, then the hood piggyback on the filter if I wanted to.

Cheers
10-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That wold explain everything Kguru.

You can clearly see the filter threads on the one that I found over here
Pentax 43/1.9 Limited

It's a beautiful lens. I wish that I could afford 1.
10-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Roentarre, I have my FA 43 f1.9 (black) right in front of me and it will take a 49mm filter. It looks exactly the same as the picture of the silver version posted above. I'm wondering if you are forgetting that the hood has to be removed (which is also 49mm and screws on just the same as a filter). The hood has no filter threads. I don't think there are any other versions other than the two colours of the body.

10-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, the lens has filter/hood thread and therefore can be reversed. I should have mine by the end of the week>

David
10-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Roentarre, I have my FA 43 f1.9 (black) right in front of me and it will take a 49mm filter. It looks exactly the same as the picture of the silver version posted above. I'm wondering if you are forgetting that the hood has to be removed (which is also 49mm and screws on just the same as a filter). The hood has no filter threads. I don't think there are any other versions other than the two colours of the body.
Thanks for the information. I was quite puzzled by this for a long time, being paranoid about dust and rain getting into the front element!

Regards

James
10-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
Igilligan

Hey David, can you do us a favor and post some pics with the 43 reversed.... I would love to see some examples from it as a macro-ish lens....

Thanks
-gus-
10-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Gus, I should have the lens by the end of next week. Haven't posted any images yet so this will be my debut. On a related topic (F.... on Sears lens etc) I note that my manual lens shutter speed indication have an EV limit of 3s at ISO 100 as a copy of my last post on that thread indicates.

Hi Peter,I use the manual setting. Have just done some tests and the maximum shutter speed follows EV, ie ISO 100 = 3s, ISO 200 1.6s, Iso 400 .8s, ISO 800 .4s and ISO 1600 1/5s. I have tried different Custom Settings etc but no change. Can't be sure but I think the situation didn't arrise until I loaded V1.3 software. What's going on????

Thanks

David
10-19-2007, 02:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FA 43mm Ltd Reversed Phtos as promised

Hi All, as promised I am attaching 4 macro shots using a FA 43mm f1.9 Ltd lens reversed on a K10D. LIghting was two Quartz Halogen lights, macro setup was reversing ring, micro focusing rack and a view finder magnifier and I still had a bit of trouble focusing properly ( old eyes). Comments would be much appreciated. I will try some more macros with extension tubes and a bellows.

David
10-19-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I thought I attached four images via the Manage Attachments window???? Could someone advise haw to include/attach photos to posts
10-19-2007, 03:06 AM   #14
and
Veteran Member

You click the paper clip to open up the attatchment popup window.
then you click choose and select your image
then click the upload button
then you should be all set...
you can click preview to check your post to see if the images appear
10-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FA 43mm Ltd Reversed Photos

Thanks Andreas, I should have read the fine print, my images were way toooooo big. I should also have added in the original post that I only opened the raw files in CS3 then saved as JPEG with no corrections etc.

This time it should work

Regards, David

It works
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo