Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #286
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
31mm on its way

I did it. After reading comments in this thread, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42240-does-fa-...16-50-a-2.html, where some were saying that the FA 31mm was maybe the best lens ever I decided I wanted one.

Prodigital2000 has the silver version listed on ebay, and taking into account the exchange rate, the BIN price is about $640. Just insane. After making an offer and getting a counter offer, I just bought one for about $650 shipped($760 canadian+$20 canadian for shipping). Too bad I didn't know about the 10% ebay coupon until they "reminded" me about it with an e-mail an hour or so after I paid for the lens. Regardless, getting it for around $200 less than retail makes up for it I just hope this isn't a case of Prodigital listing an item they don't currently have in stock

I can't wait to get to try it out in downtown Indianapolis ASAP. I love the look of urban areas this time of year. Something about the muted colors.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to sell the FA 50mm 1.4 to help fund it, though the rest has been covered as an early X-mas gift from family.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my joy regarding my new purchase, and maybe let others know of the great deal that can be had on a legendary lens. The Canadian dollar seems to be rebounding so it would be best to jump on these deals from Prodigital now if you're interested and if possible.

If anyone's still reading and has FA 31mm pictures to share to help me pass the time and build the excitement, they would be more than welcome here.

11-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Congratulations!
I bought mine new at retail and it stings a little every time I see a great deal on it, but the sting goes away every time I use it
It's a magical lens, my second favourite after the 77. I got the 77 first, and it was a game changer.
Of course, now you'll be wanting the others

prodigital2000 is making a mint selling to the States right now! I can only afford them when they do their auctions in $CDN -- otherwise, it's cheaper to walk into a store downtown.
11-26-2008, 01:05 AM   #288
Inactive Account

The bad thing is, I already want the others. I was first planning on getting the 43mm, then started eyeing the 77mm, and out of nowhere came the 31mm at a crazy low price. I hadn't considered it because it was generally listed at $850+, but Prodigital put it up and I just couldn't pass. Out of the 3 FA limiteds, I know it's the focal length I would use the most, but I also know that due to their quality I would get lots of use out of them all. And when I get the money to purchase the other 2 I'm sure I will. Damn LBA.
11-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #289
Veteran Member

Awesome lens! Enjoy! I have a black one that Pentax gave me. I would have preferred silver, but hey...

11-26-2008, 02:06 AM   #290
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, and enjoy it.
btw, keep us posted
PS: my LBA for fast 30ish lens is creeping out, I'll have to hide my credit cards....
11-26-2008, 02:07 AM   #291
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Awesome lens! Enjoy! I have a black one that Pentax gave me. I would have preferred silver, but hey...
You can give me your black one (I wouldn't mind it at all), and buy silver one for yourself (you'd be happier)
11-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #292
Veteran Member

Congrats, it is truly a great lens. It rarely comes off my 10D unless I want to get creative with the fisheye. In fact I like the FA LTD so much that I just ordered a 77LTD from Prodigital. The "buy it now" price was $550.00 USD. We offered and counter offered and finaly settled on $495.00 USD. (From what I've seen they will usually take 10% off the "BIT" price. I wish I had known that when I bought the fisheye.)
Cograts again.

11-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Congrats, it is truly a great lens. It rarely comes off my 10D unless I want to get creative with the fisheye. In fact I like the FA LTD so much that I just ordered a 77LTD from Prodigital. The "buy it now" price was $550.00 USD. We offered and counter offered and finaly settled on $495.00 USD. (From what I've seen they will usually take 10% off the "BIT" price. I wish I had known that when I bought the fisheye.)
Cograts again.
Did it include the filter and the extra 8 year warranty?
11-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beaumont, was it a black one?
I just bought the last black one, well it said one left when I bought it and I just checked and they are only showing 10 silver ones now. I almost bought it last weekend and at that time there were 9 black ones left. Along with the 25% Microsoft cashback offer and with the reported price increases of the FA Limiteds in the new year I felt I had to pull the trigger, this fills the medium telephoto hole in my arsenal and along with my 31 Limited I now have two of the three FA Limiteds.

Stratario, mine comes with the filter and 8 year extended warranty.

Votesh, I predict you will be very very happy with your 31LTD, it is that good.
11-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #295
Veteran Member

Yes to the filter and warranty, and yes to it being a black one. Didn't notice how many were left when I pulled the trigger, but there were a few when I made my initial offer. (I do know that since the transaction this morning I have not yet recieved UPS notification...)
11-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #296
Inactive Account

I haven't gotten the shipment notification either. Reading other threads about Prodigital leads me to believe that the notification usually comes a few days after they ship. At least I hope that's the case, as I'd like to get the lens early next week. or maybe even this Saturday.
11-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #297
Inactive Account

I wish I'd have known about the 10% reduction from the buy it now price. I made a really low offer and figured at $200 lower than normal retail I could settle for their counter. I also wish I knew about the 10% ebay coupon. Could have definitely saved a chunk of change. I can't complain though, and I'm sure I'll forget about both things when the lens is in my hands and on the K10D.

Cograts again.
11-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #298
Veteran Member

You would have to post the images here with that amazing lens. One of my babies that I do not think I would ever sell.
11-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #299
Inactive Account

I'm sure you will enjoy it, once you learn it and get some good shots with it, you'll forget all about the cost. I've gotten some pics with this lens, that I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise, like in near-dark museums. It's sharp and smooth at the same time, lending itself well to high ISO shots, and making it a good choice for around the house with available light only type stuff. One thing that did surprise me, is the really nice skin tones from it.

Take it out a few times alone with no other lenses, and you'll get a good sense quickly of how it exposes and how to use it best.
11-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #300
Inactive Account

Congrats on the new lens; I have a feeling someday I'll be in your shoes although I'd probably sell off my FA* 24 first to help finance it...

Good to know what bartering room you have on the gear from Prodigital; will have to keep that in mind.

A quick Google search for the November coupon code gave me 'CHOLIDAYNOV2008'; is that correct?

Prodigital - From what I've seen they will usually take 10% off the "BIT" price. I wish I had known that when I bought the fisheye.