Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

77 Ltd vs 70 Ltd autofocus

For the most part I think I know the major differences between the DA70 Ltd and the FA77 Ltd (low light speed, price, magical factor etc.) One question I have though...
I'm told the autofocus on the 77 is slower...slow enough to be considered an issue?

thx in advance

07-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

fwiw , i tried some "action" photos at a dragonboat race and i didn't have any problems tracking the boats with AF-C on my K100D. however, the boats do move somewhat closer to walking pace.
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Unless I see any other responses, I'll assume your thoughts are that of the mass majority (that know the lens)...
thx
07-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I too am interested in one of these lenses for portrait work. I do have the Sigma 70mm macro lens, which incidentally is very sharp and has a wonderful bokeh - however it's a bit large for longer sessions.

I'm torn between the FA77 and the DA70, and wondering whether I truely need one of them, or whether the difference between them and the Sigma 70mm is appreciable.

I've tried the DA70 on my K10D in store and thought it was OK, and have asked that they have the 77 transferred from another store so that I can have a look at it, but again...am wondering if the ~$700-800 is worth it for the size and possible differences in AF speed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

c[_]

Christmas is just too far away...

07-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I just bought my DA 70 Ltd yesterday, no chance to use it yet. Over the weekend I'll have some examples.

I did take a photo of the 40 by the 70:

07-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now you made me want to try the DA70.. but I found my FA77 AF actually ok in indoor light, and I thought bigger aperture will help the AF since more light go in for the AF sensor... no?
07-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have both the 77 and 70 Limiteds, however they are currently loaned out to Marigold (of dpreview fame) for his testing. We work in the same department here at work and hardly a day goes by where we don't discuss photography and Pentax.

As to the autofocus speed of the respective lenses. That is a subjective matter, but in my practical usage, if there is any slowness of the 77 over the 70, it is not enough to matter in real-world applications. The 77 is my favorite lens to use for high school gymnasium basketball and volleyball. It's fast enough for that!

07-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

if comparing the two, please see my post here (which references other posts) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/245229-post14.html

and this discussion here is excellent Should I get 77mm or 70mm? - Photo.net Pentax Forum
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #9

volosong, I have now 70mm and I'm happy with. but .... I believe it will have better results with 77mm?
07-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by revinhood Quote
volosong, I have now 70mm and I'm happy with. but .... I believe it will have better results with 77mm?
They are both excellent lenses. The 77 is a work of art, comparable to Campagnolo cycling components. True works of art! The 70 is a practical lens. Love the quick-shift focusing capability, which the 77 lacks. The 70 is part of my lightweight travel kit (with the other DA limiteds). The 70 is used more, the 77 comes out in low-light situations and when I want to specifically focus on candid portraiture, (silky smooth bokeh at wide-open apertures).

You won't go wrong with either, but the FA Limiteds are a special breed. There is nothing on this planet that is like them. You wanna take pictures, the DA Limiteds are fine. If you want to marvel at works of art, the the FA Limiteds fit the bill, (they take good pictures too).
07-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #11

I do not know if my 70mm sell to buy a 77mm. I am in doubt.
thanks for your reply.
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't think that there is any need or reason photographically speaking of swapping the 70 for the 77 or vice versa. LBA and such may be a valid reason... but it isn't like one is a coke bottle bottom and the other God's own eyeball.

If you aren't making photographs you can be proud of with the 70, you won't be making such with the 77. Or vice versa. On the other hand, if you have mastered the lens, are making excellent photographs, but find yourself limited / frustrated / held back by some aspect or another that the other lens would help fix... then the swap makes photographic sense.

I do fully realise we aren't here in a pure photographic pursuit, LBA has its own allure and requirement. As volosong says, the DA Limiteds are excellent lenses, but the FA's have that extra build beauty which may or may not correspond to photographic quality.
07-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Da70 is a tad faster than Fa 77 ltd

Otherwise, the main difference is in the build.
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I

I do fully realise we aren't here in a pure photographic pursuit, LBA has its own allure and requirement. As volosong says, the DA Limiteds are excellent lenses, but the FA's have that extra build beauty which may or may not correspond to photographic quality.
One of the fellows on another forum I read had a 77. When the 70 came out, he tested one against the other, found them to be essentially the same lens (as far as his photography was concerned) and sold the 77, since the 70 is smaller and fits his needs better because of the size. I have both, and can't bring myself to part with either of them.
07-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
if comparing the two, please see my post here (which references other posts) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/245229-post14.html

and this discussion here is excellent Should I get 77mm or 70mm? - Photo.net Pentax Forum
Thanks for the links. Interesting that the second link with the user feedback makes mention a few times about the slower AF, therefore it would seem to be a factor. I think it boils down to slightly slower speed (vs 1.8) and less magic...but $200 less, smaller size, and quicker autofocus. Tough choice, as more magic and higher speed is attractive... (Another small factor, I have the FA 31 LTD, so in some ways it would be nice to have the pair.)
Thank you all for your feedback.