Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I've recently acquired another tammy - the Adaptall 2 SP 400mm f/4 ld-if... it's a lot of fun so far.

All these shots have been posted elsewhere, but not here in the club ...
Those are wonderful, is the Tamron SP 400mm f/4.0 adaptall-2 very heavy? What is the weight with adapter? Are you using a big tripod on these shots? They look outstanding. How you like the new lens as compared to your BigMa? How is the CA with the lens?

Thanks,
Hin

03-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hin, I'll give you a quick answer now, but I gotta walk out the door - I'll give you a better answer soon.

The SP 400/4 is heavier than the Bigma - the 1.4x adapter doesn't add that much weight, the 2x adds a bit more but it's still negligable... I can't contemplate hand holding something this heavy at 800mm, so that's a moot point. PF is fairly common with the lens in the black areas of high contrast transitions when using the TC, but as long as there is nothing purple in the shot, I'm having great results just desaturating the purple channel and darkening it (with purple flowers in the background I have to do some masking in Photoshop). CA exists, but using the TCs, it's less problematic than the CA I got from the BIGMA + Kenko 1.5x, and in most cases it is negligable.

Most of those shots are on a monopod, the osprey is on my tripod which really isn't beefy enough for this combo, but I'm on limited funds right now (aren't we all)...

Ok gotta go... more later.
03-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #243
Veteran Member

More from my repaired Tamron 28-300 super zoom....

03-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #244
Veteran Member

Here is a shot with the Tamron 70-300 and K10D

Attached Images

03-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Here is a shot with the Tamron 70-300 and K10D
PF at the top of it unfortunately but very sharp

Give this a try w/ your K20D. I found that it doesn't PF as much on it compared to my old K10D. My guess is the AA filter has something to do with it, but I have no idea why. On the K20D, PF shows up less but when it does, it goes wacky purple
03-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #246
Veteran Member

That Tamron Lens is known for PF, but for what it cost, it is a good deal.
03-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
That Tamron Lens is known for PF, but for what it cost, it is a good deal.
It is my snap shot "schlep" around lens that I use with my K10D when I want to play tourist in my adopted town of Paris. PF is less apparent with the K20D's though.

03-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It is my snap shot "schlep" around lens that I use with my K10D when I want to play tourist in my adopted town of Paris. PF is less apparent with the K20D's though.
Hey Ben, For grins you ought to try it on your next Pro photo shoot with one of those models. Perhaps a head shot
03-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #249
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New to my fold: Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 with PKA adapter!

I know I'd posted this in the SLR lens section, but I'm so happy!

A REAL member of the Tammy club now- not just a super-zoom in the bag, but I wouldn't let it go right now anyways!

Picked up this amazing lens, a 52BB model SP 90mm f/2.5 1:2.5 macro in excellent condition- no cosmetic blemishes, pristine glass, with the PKA adapter with contacts! Was a little confused at first since no aperture info was showing up in the viewfinder, but thanks again to the PentaxForums, I found the thread on removing the glue from the screw points on the adapter and voila! Full Av/Tv modes, auto ISO compensation, etc.

I was looking into a decent fast 85mm for available light work- I just love the way you can make your subject "pop" at this FL- but a superTak or M was out of the question due to prices, and the Jupiter-9 85mm was tempting, but what a bunch of "if's" with that lens and getting a good copy. I think this is a brilliant solution. It's a bit tight at 90mm, but moving back a foot is an option when using it.. f/1.8 to f/2 would have been nice- but then, you don't get that amazing sharpness of this lens with the standard 85's, and macro to boot. Not to mention the whole metering thing..

$100.00 Canadian with the PKA adapter and the lens hood. That's about 80.00 US. Whoo hoo!

Didn't come with the extension tube- I'll look into finding it at some point, but I'm not a bug shooter, really.

Here's some samples:

Even the cat approves!

Last edited by virgilr; 03-30-2009 at 01:12 PM.
03-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #250
Veteran Member

Nice shots Virgil! That is a great lens and a spectacular price too. I love my Tammy 90mm, but paid more than 4 times what you paid for yours--though I got mine new.
03-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #251

Hi,

did someone compared Tamron adaptall 500/8 mirror lens with adaptall 200-500/6.9 CZ-500 model? I'm looking for some oppinion on 200-500/6.9 but it's hard to find. If somone can comment on this, would be great. Is this 200-500/6.9 worth looking for?
03-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #252
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some shots of my copy of the SP 90mm f/2.5 taken with my 28-200mm zoom, to keep in the spirit of the Tammy club! Tammy's shooting Tammy's!

The only cosmetic issues are a few scratches in the exterior of the hood, and the fact that the last B in "52BB" is slightly rubbed on the bottom, so it looks more like "52BR".

The last shot shows the lens hood- I went and bought some sticky-back felt and lined the inside of the hood. Of course it doesn't change things drastically in terms of wash-out in extreme backlight, but it helps, and with a bit of PP I can still rescue the contrast on *most* shots.

03-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
PF at the top of it unfortunately but very sharp

Give this a try w/ your K20D. I found that it doesn't PF as much on it compared to my old K10D. My guess is the AA filter has something to do with it, but I have no idea why. On the K20D, PF shows up less but when it does, it goes wacky purple
I was having wishful thinking that PF is less on K20D. I am not so sure when I tried it last weekend but more use will tell. How sure you are that K20D has less PF with the Tamron?

There is another thread that discuss on the merits of having a good UV filter may work to reduce PF, I need to revisit the thread as I would love to experiment on my purple monster lens -- my beloved lens.

Last edited by hinman; 03-31-2009 at 11:18 AM.
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Those are wonderful, is the Tamron SP 400mm f/4.0 adaptall-2 very heavy? What is the weight with adapter? Are you using a big tripod on these shots? They look outstanding. How you like the new lens as compared to your BigMa? How is the CA with the lens?

Thanks,
Hin
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Hin, I'll give you a quick answer now, but I gotta walk out the door - I'll give you a better answer soon.

...<gibberish>...

Ok gotta go... more later.
Hin, I had some time today so I wrote up a review of the Tamron SP 400mm f/4 in the lens database. It's by no means definitive, but it's what I think about the lens so far. I'll probably repost that review on my blog and add sample photos at some point, but I haven't done that yet...

I saw your thread about looking for long fast lenses, but I never mentioned this lens to you because it's neither light nor cheap and those were two of your criteria .
03-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #255
Veteran Member

My beloved Tamron 28-75F/2.8
I remember the day I took these. I was bored to death. I am not much of a flower kind of guy..