Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5, v2 from Tokina

I have withdrawn in marketplace for this lens from Tokina as the version 2 among the first three versions recommended by Mark Robert in Vivitar Series1. Anyone have experience with this lens. I have used the v1 from Kiron and now this v2 from Tokina. I like the Tokina over the Kiron due to smaller weight and the Tokina is sharper in image than the Kiron. The v1 from Kiron is better in macro and bokeh but I find the sharpness and manual focusing much to my liking in the Tokina version

Some test shots done over the weekend in JapanTown Spring Festival in San Jose of California. Please bear with me on some focusing errors as I need to retrain myself on MF with this lens.

Last edited by hinman; 10-06-2008 at 10:21 PM.
10-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Come car show in the JapanTown Spring Festival

Last edited by hinman; 10-06-2008 at 10:16 AM.
10-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My boy in indoor settings

10-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you all think of this lens? How does it compare to the v3 from Komine with 'A'. I am thinking of selling my DA 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6, the AF comes in handy with the DA zoom but I find the Vivitar Series 1 more challenging and rewarding to use and have better sharpness and speed overall. The bokeh of the Tokina version has not been tested thoroughly but my impressions will yield it to the Kiron Series 1 zoom better. And the DA 50-200 will do better in terms of color and bokeh than the Vivitar Series 1 v2 from Tokina. It is quite good for candid shots

Last edited by hinman; 10-06-2008 at 10:39 AM.
10-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Incredible shots. Lens looks very good.
10-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have used the v1 from Kiron and now this v2 from Tokina. I like the Tokina over the Kiron due to smaller weight...
Having used my v1 for most of the afternoon, I can agree the weight is an issue. Using it for (architectural) model photography was quite a workout.
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
Having used my v1 for most of the afternoon, I can agree the weight is an issue. Using it for (architectural) model photography was quite a workout.
Yes, I have used the Kiron version of Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5. Here are the weight of the three Series 1 zooms recommended by Mark Roberts
  • v1 from Kiron: 879g
  • v2 from Tokina: 710g
  • v3 from Komine: 860g

The Kiron is better in terms of bokeh, close-up, and perhaps color and contrast. The close-up in Kiron is 1:2.2 whereas the close up for the Tokina is 1:4. But with such a heavy lens, I can't hand hold the Kiron well for tele and macro shots. After a morning with Kiron for test shots, I had neck pain. When I tried to photo a tree branch aiming upwards for a few shots, I have head-ache afterwards. The pictures form Kiron come out outstanding but it is quite taxing for hand-holding for close up and tele shots. And I have much better luck in testing Tokina v2 in the series.

Last edited by hinman; 10-13-2008 at 11:24 AM.
10-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The answer probably varies for all of us. I have the Kiron, and use it a lot. A monopod can be a solution if you find it too heavy, and it's clear that it's heavier than a small (and slow) modern zoom. I have carried the Series 1 v1 around my neck for many hours in a row, many times, and have had no problems. Of course, I do support the camera with my hand most of the time, and I give myself breaks.

To me, the weigth is not an issue. I do not think the Series 1 should be compared to a 55-200, but more to modern 70-200s. To me it's that good. When comparing the output to my Sigma 17-70 and Pentax A-50 f1,4, I must say the Series 1 holds its ground and is often more satisfying to use.

I have no experience with the other versions of that lens. To me the v3 is interesting IF you get the A mode, otherwise they look comparable on paper, and the constant f3,5 is nice to have.

The only mode I find unconfortable using is macro, at least when I do not have a tripod underhand. The manual focus is quite difficult to achieve and the lens being heavy, it's easy to move slightly back and forth while trying to focus. When focus IS locked, the lens produces extremely beautiful macro shots, however.

Colours, saturation and contrast are extremely beautiful in all situations. I would have a hard time parting with that lens.

Regarding your shots, I think they are excellent. The martial arts pictures ar blurred, a faster shutter speed would have helped. Regarding the other candids, I have nothing to complain about, I like them quite a lot.
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The answer probably varies for all of us. I have the Kiron, and use it a lot. A monopod can be a solution if you find it too heavy, and it's clear that it's heavier than a small (and slow) modern zoom. I have carried the Series 1 v1 around my neck for many hours in a row, many times, and have had no problems. Of course, I do support the camera with my hand most of the time, and I give myself breaks.

To me, the weigth is not an issue. I do not think the Series 1 should be compared to a 55-200, but more to modern 70-200s. To me it's that good. When comparing the output to my Sigma 17-70 and Pentax A-50 f1,4, I must say the Series 1 holds its ground and is often more satisfying to use.

I have no experience with the other versions of that lens. To me the v3 is interesting IF you get the A mode, otherwise they look comparable on paper, and the constant f3,5 is nice to have.

The only mode I find unconfortable using is macro, at least when I do not have a tripod underhand. The manual focus is quite difficult to achieve and the lens being heavy, it's easy to move slightly back and forth while trying to focus. When focus IS locked, the lens produces extremely beautiful macro shots, however.

Colours, saturation and contrast are extremely beautiful in all situations. I would have a hard time parting with that lens.

Regarding your shots, I think they are excellent. The martial arts pictures ar blurred, a faster shutter speed would have helped. Regarding the other candids, I have nothing to complain about, I like them quite a lot.
Thanks for the comment. The Kiron copy holds its own charm. I find better color and contrast from the Kiron than the Tokina. But weight wise, I am subjective and prefer the lighter weight in the Tokina zoom. Your suggestion on monopod can really help with the lens. Last when I tested the Kiron version of Viviitar Series 1 zooms , I am surprised with the great detail and color in the photos.
10-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Incredible shots. Lens looks very good.
Thank you Jay, I wish I have the money for the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. I go for the Vivitar Series 1 to save money.
10-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now I have both v2 Tokina and v3 Komine copies

I manage to win a bid on the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0 from Komine. At this moment, I am Komine Blind as I love Komine lens. The Komine 135mm f/2.8 1:2 close focusing is a super-man in my bag for bugs and short tele in 135mm. And I am waiting for a Komine 200mm f/3.5 in K mount along with the Vivitar Series 1 zoom from Komine. And I don't see my LBA getting any worse to get into Komine 28mm f/28 close focus. Help me God on LBA. And Jay, it is part of your fault for the Komine LBA running in my blood stream.

I will do comparison between the Tokina And Komine and find the one I like to keep.

Any of you have experience in comparing the two lens. I already like Tokina, but the Komine has 'A' and it is faster in the short end. The other good thing about the komine is on the 1:2.5 macro. But I find the 710g always better than 860g in the Komine copy. I may take the suggestion on Monopod.

Request: If you have a favorite monopod not to break the bank, please suggest me names and model to look into.

Last edited by hinman; 10-09-2008 at 08:12 PM.
10-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I manage to win a bid on the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0 from Komine. At this moment, I am Komine Blind as I love Komine lens. The Komine 135mm f/2.8 1:2 close focusing is a super-man in my bag for bugs and short tele in 135mm. And I am waiting for a Komine 200mm f/3.5 in K mount along with the Vivitar Series 1 zoom from Komine. And I don't see my LBA getting any worse to get into Komine 28mm f/28 close focus. Help me God on LBA. And Jay, it is part of your fault for the Komine LBA running in my blood stream.

I will do comparison between the Tokina And Komine and find the one I like to keep.

Any of you have experience in comparing the two lens. I already like Tokina, but the Komine has 'A' and it is faster in the short end. The other good thing about the komine is on the 1:2.5 macro. But I find the 710g always better than 860g in the Komine copy. I may take the suggestion on Monopod.

Request: If you have a favorite monopod not to break the bank, please suggest me names and model to look into.
Goin' Komine Krazy!!

Agreed, they are special. Did you say that you are or are not getting the
Vivitar/Komine 28 2.8 Close Focus?

-Jay
10-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #13

I have Vivitar S1 70-210mm V2 too. Color rendering is fantastic, but sharpness could be a bit better. Best performance is at F5.6-F8. F3.5 is too soft for my taste.
10-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I have Vivitar S1 70-210mm V2 too. Color rendering is fantastic, but sharpness could be a bit better. Best performance is at F5.6-F8. F3.5 is too soft for my taste.
Yes, I can concur with the sharpness wide open at f/3.5. A bit soft but I still find it more usable to shoot in indoor than a DA 50-200 lens in f/5.6. I tried indoor shooting with the lens in ISO 800 and it comes out not great, but certainly better than my DA 50-200 in f/5.6 which will hunt continuously in the indoor.

The focusing in indoor is still hard to do in f/3.5, I find few times not able to get a focus lock but with patience and practice, I find the lens quite capable. Overall, little complaints for v2 Tokina for outdoor shooting especially on the tele, photos are pretty sharp and good contrast when stopped down to f/5.6, f/6.3 and even better at f/8.0. There are couple of test shots on the Karate practice in a temple alley that I may have done in f/3.5 but I can't recall which one due to lost of aperture reading in exif. But I remember that I did the following in f/3.5 as the lighting is very dim indoor.

iso 800, wide open in f/3.5

Another noted problem with the Tokina is on the possible ghosting that I find on macro shots. Edges of flower images seems to have double layer. I don't quite know if a lens hood will help.
10-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Goin' Komine Krazy!!

Agreed, they are special. Did you say that you are or are not getting the
Vivitar/Komine 28 2.8 Close Focus?

-Jay
When fund allows, especially when members buy my current gear posted in Marketplace, I will for sure tried out the Vivitar/Komine 28mm f/2.8 close focus. Your wonderful komine photos may have jacked up the prices for that lens and I sure I can still buy it at a reasonable price later on.

Hin