Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Building a Tilt Shift Lens?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Greetings

I've been fidelling around trying to find the best way to build a TS lens.

Searched the web for many option, being the most usual to use an Large format Lens to convert for TS. Problem with LF lenses is the price. So i started looking for the next lowest option.

I bought miself a Topcon wich gives me about 10mm of Flage distance to work with wich is the longest flange in the 35mm Range.

Here is some photos of the Tilt system first developed.
Picasa Web Albums - rik - DIY CAMERA

What I wasn't expecting was that the 53mm f2.0 that I bought had such a protrudent back. I recieved my Topcon on the mail I found that a slight problem. altho The T system + the K mount and the protudent back fitted like pro the flage distance was too big. only worked for macro there

So now I'm redesigning the mount. I thought if i could fit a correction lens it would give me more space to work and use the design I already have instead of changin designs. Problem is I don't know what lens I should use to enable the camera to focus to infinite with a larger Flange. I hope to be able to use some of the parts form a old 80-200mm and a 28mm f/2.8 I have in order to do that.

Here is some shots I took with the Topcon lens Guetto style (holding the lens in front of the camera). These shots proved that it was possible to use if i redesign the mount.

I have 3 options on my mind

Use the lens flange distance by adding a 50mm Diameter spring and finding some way for couppling it

Build a contraption based on screw and springs that would allow me to tilt the lens with some precision also keeping a flowing movement possible.
Like in the schematic I have drawn here >tiltmount.pdf

Or using some of the old lens parts, finding a way to add the right lens in order to focus to infinity and keep faithfull to the original built.

I could use your help

Best regards
V.

11-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

Hi, the link you posted gives unfortunately only an idea what you did. The pictures are very interesting, though. Can you maybe post a picture of the lens and the t/s mechanism?

Here is how I tried to build a t/s macro set-up:

Pentax Hacks: Self-made tilt shift bellows

My problems are similar though, for shorter length lenses you can only use it for macro, tele lenses have a longer register distance by default, I have a 135mm bellows lens which focuses to infinity. I assume the pentax 100/4 bellows might work as well.

What you should try is get a medium format lens since they have a much longer distance as well, and the image circle is much larger.
11-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
What you should try is get a medium format lens since they have a much longer distance as well, and the image circle is much larger.
Agree. There are tons of Pentacon Six lenses on eBay, many of them quite reasonable in price. The register distance is 74.1mm, which is 28.6mm longer than the Pentax K-mount register (45.5mm) -- over an inch. That gives you PLENTY of room for ghetto (er, handcrafted) tilt/shift adapters, and you still should be able to achieve infinity focus under the right circumstances.

I'm going to try this myself one of these days, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Cool pictures BTW, X3msnake. Makes me want to try it.
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well When i say it is Ghetto I really mean HandHeld :P.

The thing is the cheapest Med Format lens I can find is a Bronica 75mm f/2.8, and it costs about $40 + Shipping which to Portugal can cost up to $20+

I won an auction for a Topcon UV 53mm F/2.0 (the lens that took the pictures) for 10$ plus shipping and it still had a working camera with the branded leather case attached to it :P

The thing is for most effects you only need up to 10deg of tilt, most dedicated TS lens only go up to that much, and I believe I might have enough space to have that much of movement. As for the image circle yes you get a bigger one with a MF lens, but you already have a bigger circle since i'm using a Digital Pentax with that 1.5 factor cropping.

The best thing about using such a lens would be the smaller size.

I'll try to post some pictures of the lenses tomorrow

Best wishes
V.

11-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was curious about these

tilt adapter k, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com
06-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #6

Hi All,

I've got some old lenses, specifically an old ricoh 35-70mm Zoom. The front element group (that controls zoom) spins right out of the lens. I was thinking I could trim away the focus ring and build a bit of a tilt setup there.

Also on the back end I thought I might remove The kmount and some of the extra hardware and mount it onto another Kmount adapter that has a much bigger hole, thus seating the rear element a little closer to the sensor and allowing shift movement.

Now in testing I got heaps more range for shift by moving the whole lens rather than just the front element group.

With tilt it's hard to tell. should I be aiming to tilt the whole lens or is it best to build the tilt mechanism in the empty halfway space between element groups. I.E. the rear elements stay static while the front (focusing) elements tilt to create effect?

I little guidance would be great and I'll be sure to post pics.

Cheers.
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
http://www.f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/TS-E%2090%202.8.pdf

Here's a link to a exploded view of a commercial TS lens.
Hope it helps on some ideas