Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Best M42 adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all,

I've got my first digital Pentax K200D 2 weeks ago, so I need to get an M42 adapter for my numerous M42's, I've read bad things about third party adapters, and I feel like to ask two things first of all are these two are the real thing?

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+30120
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-Lens-Adapter-K-Bayonet-to-M42-Original_W0QQitemZ330288768992

I also like to ask if there is someone willing to sell it please let me know

Thanks in advance.
Best wishes to all.
Can Baytan

My gallery:
baytan.org

Last edited by cbaytan; 11-23-2008 at 11:48 AM.
11-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your first link is the genuine Pentax adapter, and I would recommend getting that one. It allows infinity focus, and is easy on and easy off. And you will really enjoy using your old Takumars on your new K200D !! I am now up to 4 Takumars, and am hungry for more !! haha
11-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Agreed, first link is the real deal. The real Pentax adapters come in a green resealable plastic pouch, with PENTAX engraved in the top of the circular device, not painted. "Japan" is engraved in the bottom half. No other markings (M42 is a common one on the knock offs) should be present, and the dot for aligning the adapter with the K mount should be the same orange color, not white.

The real deal works awesome. Easy to get on and off.
11-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you will find that the second one is also a genuine Pentax adapter. Earlier versions were marked "ASAHI PENTAX" and later ones dropped the "ASAHI".

I guess one thing to watch with second hand items is the possibility of the locking clip having been removed (this happened to me). This is often done to allow removal of the lens and adapter together. In normal circumstances the adapter is not removed with the lens.

As mentioned any that have M42 or "For Pentax" or any other embellishment are non Pentax versions. I'd reiterate that the real one is very very easy to take on and off the camera with no special tool.

cheers

Greg

11-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wirrah Quote
I think you will find that the second one is also a genuine Pentax adapter. Earlier versions were marked "ASAHI PENTAX" and later ones dropped the "ASAHI".

cheers

Greg
Thanks to all, I thought so either, but the link for the second adapter was broken, I've figured that out and corrected the link after drewdlephone and stratman replied. My mistake.

Thanks again.
Can
11-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought the original one from Pentax a couple of weeks ago. I received it within 3 days of ordering, and I am in norther VA. I had looked at a couple of 3rd party ones, but decided on the original.
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The original Pentax M42 to PK adapters have several different versions. The very earlier version has ASAHI PENTAX marked on top and JAPAN at the bottom, and the marks are in black color. It comes in carton box like this one:

The later version has PENTAX on top and JAPAN at bottom, marks are in either black or white color. It comes in green plastic bag like these:

The original adapters are easy to use, you don't need a tool to take it out of the camera. But I do feel they are abit lose when mounted. Some third party ones are actually better fit than the original ones.

Of course the best M42 to PK adapter (so far I could find) is the one from Kindai:
M42 to PK adapter by Kindai

They are expensive, almost three times as of the original Pentax ones. But if you have some M42 lens from Fujinon (w/ no Auto/Manual switch on the lens), you'd love these adapters.

Last edited by frank; 11-24-2008 at 11:48 AM.
11-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The original Pentax M42 to PK adapters have several different versions. The very earlier version has ASAHI PENTAX marked on top and JAPAN at the bottom, and the marks are in black color. It comes in carton box like this one:

The later version has PENTAX on top and JAPAN at bottom, marks are in either black or white color. It comes in green plastic bag like these:

The original adapters are easy to use, you don't need a tool to take it out of the camera. But I do feel they are abit lose when mounted. Some third party ones are actually better fit than the original ones.
Thanks for the info, I live in Turkey and sadly I've got the mail from pentax web store today, that meant my only option left is feebay .

"Pentax" <customerservice@PentaxWebstore.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To:xxxxxxx

Dear "Can Baytan",

Thank you very much for your recent email inquiry.

Unfortunately, we are unable to ship products internationally.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,

Customer Service
On Line Store for Pentax
11-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
It allows infinity focus,
the second one he posted does too...
11-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Check out Hin's tech corner...

Hin has written several very informative m42 adapter related posts on his tech blog. Good reading on this subject.