Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 110 lenses on G1

Just found this,

Source: Link

Looks like there is a real rush now from a lot of people getting back to rangefinder business with Pentax110, c-mount, Leica M, Canon FD, etc. lenses.

Albeit there is no more optical finder, but aren't we all used to look at LCD screens anyway.

I've had this camera in my hands and liked it, still not sold on the 4/3 sensor though.

Georg (the other)

12-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i'm waiting for the Olympus model, hope it will be smaller
although can't forsee people trying to get those lenses to use with an m4/3 but it's nice if you have those lenses already

Last edited by k100d; 12-04-2008 at 11:17 AM.
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dunno. My guess is that they just took every mount that was smaller than the 4/3s system and mocked up an adapter to generate buzz. Making a 110 adapter wouldn't make much sense to me, as there were only a handful of lenses (18, 24, 50, 70, 20-40) and the 110 frame size is smaller (13x17mm) than the 4/3s sensor (13.5x18mm) so there would probably be vignetting.

On the other hand, a 4/3s camera the size of the Pentax Auto 110 would put the Sigma DP1 to shame. Kit it up with a pancake lens to make it pocketable. I might trade my full-size SLR for something like that.

I guess the real question about Micro 4/3s is whether the sensor will survive very long due to its exposure to the elements. If it does, a new world of possibilities opens up.
12-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote

...I guess the real question about Micro 4/3s is whether the sensor will survive very long due to its exposure to the elements. If it does, a new world of possibilities opens up.
The sensor is not exposed to the elements. The camera has a focal plane shutter, it just lacks a mirror box. Sort of like a mini Leica M8.

The notion of a fairly affordable small/light body compatible with legacy rangefinder glass is very, very interesting. More interesting would be a affordable M8 clone from Panasonic .

Steve

12-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The sensor is not exposed to the elements. The camera has a focal plane shutter, it just lacks a mirror box. Sort of like a mini Leica M8.

The notion of a fairly affordable small/light body compatible with legacy rangefinder glass is very, very interesting. More interesting would be a affordable M8 clone from Panasonic .

Steve
actually the G1 even though it has a focal plane shutter, is open even during lens changes
12-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Making a 110 adapter wouldn't make much sense to me, as there were only a handful of lenses (18, 24, 50, 70, 20-40) and the 110 frame size is smaller (13x17mm) than the 4/3s sensor (13.5x18mm) so there would probably be vignetting.
It's not like the image is going to stop at the edges. The difference in size is negligible and there will probably be little difference in the images. I.e., Pentax 110 lenses will work fine and I applaud these folks for making the adapter.

In 35mm-equiv. FLs, the 110 lenses are 36mm, 48mm, 100mm, 140mm and a 40-80mm zoom. All are f/2.8. Apart from a very wide angle, you have a perfect selection of primes available (for now, until the hype ensues) for under $300. You'll probably end up paying more than $300 for the single 12mm wide angle from Olympus.

QuoteQuote:
On the other hand, a 4/3s camera the size of the Pentax Auto 110 would put the Sigma DP1 to shame. Kit it up with a pancake lens to make it pocketable.
On this we can certainly agree
12-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The difference in size is negligible and there will probably be little difference in the images.
A 5% (1.1mm) increase on the diagonal might work or might not. I'd be curious to see it but not confident enough to put my money down first. I admit, though, that soft corners might be a small price to pay for having such tiny lenses. It would only be a niche product anyhow.

Another problem is that the 110 lenses don't have internal apertures; this was in the Auto 110 body, which is why none of the lenses could be faster than f/2.8.

Of course, I will say that *anybody* who makes old lenses more usable will have my respect. I'm not sure which offends me more: that people basically throw away these lenses because they don't autofocus, or that manufacturers have discarded backwards compatibility for no more apparent reason than to sell new glass.

Here's to my preset Takumar. Cheers!

12-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
actually the G1 even though it has a focal plane shutter, is open even during lens changes
Well, thats dumb!

Steve
12-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, thats dumb!
Remember that the G1 is a live-view only camera. The focal plane shutter is normally open - it closes only to take the picture and then opens again afterward (and of course it opens during the exposure for whatever time the shutter speed calls for).
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
Banned

I somehow really doubt people will be rushing out to snap up pentax 110 lenses. I think its likely CZ(J), Leica, Voigtlander, zuiko and a slew of other more well known manual focus lenses will be the popular choice. particularly anything with the name Zeiss. whether that be a Jena DDR or other. closely followed by CV. can anyone say Nokton?
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I somehow really doubt people will be rushing out to snap up pentax 110 lenses. I think its likely CZ(J), Leica, Voigtlander, zuiko and a slew of other more well known manual focus lenses will be the popular choice. particularly anything with the name Zeiss. whether that be a Jena DDR or other. closely followed by CV. can anyone say Nokton?
i'm not sure everybody will be spilling over themselves to have lenses tonnes of old lenses on 2x crop factor
12-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Remember that the G1 is a live-view only camera. The focal plane shutter is normally open - it closes only to take the picture and then opens again afterward (and of course it opens during the exposure for whatever time the shutter speed calls for).
The dumb part is that it should close the shutter when the lens release button is pushed.

Steve
12-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Aren't the 110 lenses designed to be 24, 50 etc for 110 film? There would be no crop factor for them no?
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Séamuis said:
QuoteQuote:
can anyone say Nokton?
Nokton!

I want you to say:
Contax G Hologon ... Biogon ... Hologon ... Biogon
Say: Voigtländer Heliar (this leads to nothing :-)
Say: Angenieux Paris 0,95/25
Stop that now!

Here's someone who's already converted the G1 to c-mount,
arri: lenses on Flickr
See the other pics, some lenses don't cover the full sensor plane.
Say: Wollensak ... Taylor&Hobson ...lalala
Greetings, Georg
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
ghl

The 110 lenses, I believe, don't have an iris aperture in them. The aperture was incorporated into the shutter in the body if I remember right. Could be wrong, I'm sure other people on this board would know better.