Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lens & 1.7x AF TC combo that's -too- contrasty?

My second in a series covering my 1st moments w/a Pentax-A 50/1.4. The 1st thread being here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43482-pentax-5...wide-open.html

Before I took those, I was playing with the lens mounted on a Pentax 1.7x AF TC. It focused great on my close subject. Once I loaded the RAWs all I pretty much needed to do was WB. If it wasn't for wanting to post these results, I would have used the Lightroom adjustments to soften the images; I would have turned down contrast, used light fill, reduced the black level, and reduced the clarity to soften the edges. But I just wanted to share these as they were, with minimal adjustments from how it came out of the camera.

Am I right in my belief there's too much contrast & sharpness? At least for portrait. If you want to see the full rez to say so, the originals can be had under each image here.

All were @ the widest aperture I could go with the 1.7X AF TC attached, f/2.8; I hadn't realized until now I couldn't go wider with that TC attached . (my 'model' had just come in from the rain, so was a bit wet, explaining the odd hairdo on the snoot & the edge of the ears)

The best of the 3 I'd say. (I did a little bit of split tone adjustment in saturation & luminocity in this one)

I don't think I'd want to use this combo shooting an older wrinkly person for a 'glamor' portrait with this combo. But for 'edginess', it certainly has it. But I'm not sure of the resolving power. I'd like a bit more clarity to the individual eyelashes.

Last edited by m8o; 12-07-2008 at 07:45 PM.
12-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

That's a nice (and patient, it seems) model!

That lens/TC combo produces astounding sharpness and contrast! I wouldn't tone it down for this model. For a human model - probably!
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What Ole said!
If you ever go on vacation or anything m8o I'll doggy sit Nala for you!:-)
12-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The last shot is really well done and I found the image spot on in terms of contrast

12-08-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3rd shot rocks. Great posing and eye contact on behalf of your model

I think animal portraits should be sharp, because in our mind we all know fur is soft. But like you said, you might want to soften the image in PP if you're shooting your grandma and expect a nice cheque in your Christmas stocking
12-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The last shot is really well done and I found the image spot on in terms of contrast
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
3rd shot rocks. Great posing and eye contact on behalf of your model
Thanx for the help. So a follow-up; to anyone. Does this conversion do it justice? (posted here in the event you don't look into the "Your Pet a Day" thread)

...her one eye that really stood out before is a bit 'flatter' [deader!] in this one I guess.