Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And again a P-to-K mount adapter question.....

I bought a genuine Pentax adapter for my M42 lenses to come but I am experiencing some small problem with it. After searching the forum and reading numerous threads on adapter topics , I can't find the solution. I don't say it is not there, but for sure I cannot find it! When I mount the adapter to the body and screw in the lens, the adapter is wobbling during manual focusing etc. That isn't quite normal, is it? It is sure it is the adapter moving in the body, not the lens in the adapter... Anybody any remedy?

01-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
I bought a genuine Pentax adapter for my M42 lenses to come but I am experiencing some small problem with it. After searching the forum and reading numerous threads on adapter topics , I can't find the solution. I don't say it is not there, but for sure I cannot find it! When I mount the adapter to the body and screw in the lens, the adapter is wobbling during manual focusing etc. That isn't quite normal, is it? It is sure it is the adapter moving in the body, not the lens in the adapter... Anybody any remedy?
It sounds like a faulty adapter. The flanges that stick out from the adapter are not engaging the camera's locking flanges sufficiently.

Return the adapter or take a hammer & punch to whack the adapter's flanges on their clockwise ends (set it on the table, camera end up) this will bend the adapter's flanges to make the adapter draw closer to the camera as it is tightened.

Dave
01-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you Dave. I understood that it's a quite common fault of the adapter, but that it is not a very big problem. The lens doesn't fall off, it just turns just a littlebit. Has probably to do with the focus ring also, which goes not smoothly at all.... You need strength to focus, and this causes the lens to move....
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Thank you Dave. I understood that it's a quite common fault of the adapter, but that it is not a very big problem. The lens doesn't fall off, it just turns just a littlebit. Has probably to do with the focus ring also, which goes not smoothly at all.... You need strength to focus, and this causes the lens to move....
I'd try the hammer trick (without the slot); it won't hurt the adapter unless you use a huge sledge; the flange "ear" needs to move down only a fraction of a millimeter.

Strike it gently & see if it fits better; if not, strike it harder. Repeat until is is snug enough.

Good luck.

Dave

PS it won't break; it is brass.