Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA* 16-50 stuck - won't zoom or focus

Twice in the past three weeks, my DA* 16-50 would not zoom. I tried to turn the barrel but it is jammed. I removed the lens tapped it on its end lightly and then it worked just fine.

A few days ago it refused to auto focus. After some use it freed up and works again.

Obviously I need to send for repair, but has anyone else had these sorts of issues?

Rather depressing, dunno whether I should just buy new, or wait eight weeks for repair. (May cost as much anyway... ergh!)

01-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How old is your lens? Has it received bumps or fallen?

Such behavior indeed calls for repair, but the point here is what caused it. Stuck zoom ring means mechanical problems while refusing to AF (via SDM) means electronic problems.

Let us know your decision to repair and the outcome.
01-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

I love Pentax, but post like this really make me think more than twice about buying the DA*16-50.
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens is probably about a year and a half old, so no warranty (I believe, Hmmm...)
Anyway, the lens is handled with the utmost care. Which probably means I don't get out and take enough photos. :-)

Anyway, just wondered how often this happns. I never heard of the issue before.
Although, except for the water tightness, I would probably buy another lens. Argh!!

01-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Most negative posts seem to be about optics, not mechanics. This seems unusual.
01-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

As you can see I'm around here a lot and a couple other Pentax haunts. This lens has had issues (although that seems to be disappearing) but it's the first time I've heard of this.
01-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do you have any camera which doesn't support SDM? If the lens still can do AF on a non-SDM camera, that means the SDM module is gone. I had the same problem w/ mine, luckily it's within warranty period. Had to send it to Japan for a fix (replacing the SDM motor).

Good luck.

01-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Do you have any camera which doesn't support SDM? If the lens still can do AF on a non-SDM camera, that means the SDM module is gone. I had the same problem w/ mine, luckily it's within warranty period. Had to send it to Japan for a fix (replacing the SDM motor).

Good luck.
frank is right. Da* 16-50 f2.8 works funny on k10d before I updated the firmware.

The funniest thing about autofocus of this zoom is that it gives up even focusing when the lighting is simply too dark.
01-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another Vote for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
04-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Rather than making a new thread, I am going to thread jack here...

the same thing happened to my 16-50 on Saturday night and I dismounted it from the body and tried to operate the zoom ring and it wouldnt move. I didnt know what it was so I shook it a little bit and cranked on it hard. it worked again but I could feel tough spots when zooming in and out so hopefully Pentax, CO fixes it. I am still within warranty but I use it for work, I shoot nightlife during the weekend so its going to be a long two weeks for me...

I'll update when I have anything to add...
by the way, this is the first problem I've ever had with this lens after almost a year of ownership and this is my most used lens.

was there anyone else who had this problem?

Last edited by 247nino; 04-14-2009 at 04:04 PM.
04-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snappy Quote
I love Pentax, but post like this really make me think more than twice about buying the DA*16-50.
Like with any other product reviews in miriad of forums and blogs, the majority of posts are generated by people who have a problem with the product. The silent majority of happy owners have no complains and do not post. I am one of them. I have this lens since Nov 2008 and have no problems whatsoever. Love it.
Don't be discouraged by problems some people have, this is a great lens.
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by snappy Quote
Why would you want the 16-50? I only ask because I see you have the DA21 and DA40, that's quite a bit of needless overlap.
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TTQ225 Quote
Like with any other product reviews in miriad of forums and blogs, the majority of posts are generated by people who have a problem with the product. The silent majority of happy owners have no complains and do not post. I am one of them. I have this lens since Nov 2008 and have no problems whatsoever. Love it.
Same here, since September 2008.
04-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #14

I had this exact same thing happen with my 16-50mm . . . . . but that was after it was dropped on the end of an anchor getting out of a boat. The zoom stuck and the the focus wouldn't turn. First thing I would check is to see if the optics still move by manually focusing it. If it's stuck when manually focusing as well as auto-focusing then my guess is something is broken inside.

As to how that happened I'm voting for the lens getting dropped or bumped, do you have any kids that may have been playing with it, dropped it, then were too scared to tell you? Only reason I ask is because I can remember doing exactly that to some of my Dad's toys when I was little haha
04-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TTQ225 Quote
I am probably having problems with mine because it is my most used lens, used every saturday of the last 5-6 months shooting nightlife in dark dim lit nightclubs. My use definitely puts a strain on my lens so do not be discouraged...

I have owned this lens for one year now, Anniversary date is today and it has never given me problems, I have used it in the dark, in the sun and in the pouring rain, I've dropped it in the snow and buried it in the snow as well.

Last edited by 247nino; 04-14-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typographical errors