Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

TC for Pentax DA* lenses

I did a breif search but I didnt find anything too helpful. Im looking for a Teleconverter>> 1.4 to 2 that is compatible with AF and SDM on DA * lenses. can anyone direct me?

02-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there is one at marketplace here on forum right now: Kenko AF SHQ 1.5x.
02-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both my Tamrons 1.4 and 2x TC's have all the contacts, though I do not have an SDM lens, they should work fine with. My 1.4X works great. Not so the 2x which looses a lot of contrast.
02-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Both Tamron and Kenko have TCs that work with SDM, the confusing thing is that they also make TCs that don't. You have the find the correct model.

The kenko model that works is this one:

I believe this is the same model that KEH is selling for ~$40 used in ln- condition:
KEH Camera: Pentax Auto Focus - Converters

John

02-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First of all, the conventional wisdom states that the use of a teleconverter with a wide angle lens is not advisable, so let's disregard the 16-50. But, I suspect it would work if really needed.

When I purchased my copy of the 50-135, I sat for a few minutes in the parking lot and tried the lens out. For some reason, I mated my Tamron with the lens. It focuses just fine, but the image quality degradation was very apparent. Even on the camera's LCD screen, when I zoomed way up, I could see the problems.

Since that first try, I have not used a tc with the 50-135 and have not tried it with the 16-50. So...it works, but expect considerable image quality degradation.
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Both my Tamrons 1.4 and 2x TC's have all the contacts, though I do not have an SDM lens, they should work fine with. My 1.4X works great. Not so the 2x which looses a lot of contrast.
I have the Tamron 1.4TC and it works great with my SDM DA*300 (SDM mode)

02-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
It focuses just fine, but the image quality degradation was very apparent. Even on the camera's LCD screen, when I zoomed way up, I could see the problems.
I'm surprised about that since 1.4/1.5x TCs pair very well with the DA*300 IMO.

John

examples:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/49642-snowy-owl-part-ii-...got-close.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/46102-i-love-usable-iso-...other-one.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/45893-northern-cardinal-...-kenko-tc.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/44803-da-300-kenko-1-5xt...der-shots.html

02-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I'm surprised about that since 1.4/1.5x TCs pair very well with the DA*300 IMO.
You certainly get good results, John. I should have specified that the only DA* lenses I own are the two zooms. I have the desire to own the 200 and 300, but cannot justify the cost with respect to the results I derive from the Sigma 70-200/2.8 and 100-300/4 EX zooms.
02-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Both Tamron and Kenko have TCs that work with SDM, the confusing thing is that they also make TCs that don't. You have the find the correct model.

The kenko model that works is this one:

John
I second what John said. I have only DA*200mm and the same TC (1.5x). It works flawlessly (in AF and SDM) with DA200mm

I did not get DA*300mm as I have the older A*300mmF4

Daniel
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You all make me want to try another copy of that TC, Mine has the exact same markings and the focus hunts like crazy?? IQ is good though, maybe I'll try another- I could always sell it.
02-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
You all make me want to try another copy of that TC, Mine has the exact same markings and the focus hunts like crazy?? IQ is good though, maybe I'll try another- I could always sell it.
The TC as marked in the manual works best with long prime lens of F2.8 or faster. You can try your TC in a nearby camera shop which stocks DA*200mm or DA*300mm

Typically slower zooms with a lot more elements do not work that well with any TC as it has more refractive surface which definitely slows down the TC

Daniel
02-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
The TC as marked in the manual works best with long prime lens of F2.8 or faster. You can try your TC in a nearby camera shop which stocks DA*200mm or DA*300mm

Typically slower zooms with a lot more elements do not work that well with any TC as it has more refractive surface which definitely slows down the TC

Daniel
Hey Daniel,
I was using the 1.5x pz shq on my DA*300mm and it didn't work, I ordered another to try as others had luck with theirs. I have been using the 1.7x afa and have even stscked the afa and the kenko 1.5x and it focused ok with the screw drive so I'm puzzled. I will give it another go with another one and if it doesn't work I'll sell one of them.
02-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey Daniel,
I was using the 1.5x pz shq on my DA*300mm and it didn't work, I ordered another to try as others had luck with theirs. I have been using the 1.7x afa and have even stacked the afa and the kenko 1.5x and it focused ok with the screw drive so I'm puzzled. I will give it another go with another one and if it doesn't work I'll sell one of them.
Tom

Sorry to hear that . I can only speculate that your combo (DA*300mmF4) is just below the cut off where not enough light has gone through. The difference of F2.8 (re DA*200mm) & F4 (re DA*300mm) could be very critical.

All these combo are not custom match by design . All it takes is just one element (of many) off by 1 mm. Hope to hear good news from you as a lot of DA*300mm owners would love to hear that. Or you have to wait for the new Pentax rear custom TC to come out. Well , it will not be cheap though

Daniel
02-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
Tom

Sorry to hear that . I can only speculate that your combo (DA*300mmF4) is just below the cut off where not enough light has gone through. The difference of F2.8 (re DA*200mm) & F4 (re DA*300mm) could be very critical.

All these combo are not custom match by design . All it takes is just one element (of many) off by 1 mm. Hope to hear good news from you as a lot of DA*300mm owners would love to hear that. Or you have to wait for the new Pentax rear custom TC to come out. Well , it will not be cheap though

Daniel

There should be PLENTY of light with an f/4 lens and 1.5x TC. I have this exact setup and it works flawlessly I've had an f5.6 lens (Tokina AT-X 400mm) AF in bright light with a 1.5x TC without any problems. I have a feeling something might be off with that particular TC. Another user reported that when the looked inside the TC there was some wires missing or unconnected. I have no idea if that is what happened to Borno but I hope your new one will work for you.
02-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There should be PLENTY of light with an f/4 lens and 1.5x TC. I have this exact setup and it works flawlessly I've had an f5.6 lens (Tokina AT-X 400mm) AF in bright light with a 1.5x TC without any problems. I have a feeling something might be off with that particular TC. Another user reported that when the looked inside the TC there was some wires missing or unconnected. I have no idea if that is what happened to Borno but I hope your new one will work for you.
Sample difference? Of either the TC or the DA*300mm?