Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Info on 400mm Sigma APO telephoto lens

I have a chance to buy this lens.

Besides "400mm Sigma APO" and that the lens has a case and that it is currently attached to a Ricoh XR7, I can't get more details out of the seller. I did a quick search but details are sketchy.

I'm trying to decide whether I should drive 30 miles one way to see it.

Is it worth $80?

Thanks.

02-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I have a chance to buy this lens.

Besides "400mm Sigma APO" and that the lens has a case and that it is currently attached to a Ricoh XR7, I can't get more details out of the seller. I did a quick search but details are sketchy.

I'm trying to decide whether I should drive 30 miles one way to see it.

Is it worth $80?

Thanks.
I have a vague recollection that this particular lens -- Sigma 400mm APO -- has a reputation for getting fogged elements over the course of time, which can't be easily repaired. Something like degraded lens cement.

Maybe someone else remembers better, but my memory is, uh, foggy.
02-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Sigma 400MM F5.6 APO. It has the 72MM filter threads, gold APO on the tripod mount, manual focus and has the "A" setting on the aperture ring. It has a built in lens hood. The lettering around the lens hood " Sigma Telephoto 400mm 1:5.6 multi-coated Lens made in Japan" The one I got looked like it was brand new. I am very happy with the one that I got. It seems to me to almost give the same "colors" as Pentax lenses. I would say if you look at it and it is not damaged, take a chance. You're really no going to get a 400mm prime any cheaper.

Here are some pictures with my copy. All of these were handheldFlickr: 7.62lew's stuff tagged with 400mm
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw one on Ebay recently and the bidding was $275 with several bidders and a few days left so I think 80 bucks is a good price. If you don't like it, sell it.

02-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I have a Sigma 400MM F5.6 APO. It has the 72MM filter threads, gold APO on the tripod mount, manual focus and has the "A" setting on the aperture ring. It has a built in lens hood. The lettering around the lens hood " Sigma Telephoto 400mm 1:5.6 multi-coated Lens made in Japan"
It is exactly this, including the PKa mount. Not brand new, but from the look and feel, I'd give it an 9/10 (10 being new).

The focus ring feels undamped, however, not as bad as on most autofocus lenses, but not as "good" as on most manual focus lenses. Please tell me if your lens feels the same way.

As bonuses, the deal came with an SMC Pentax-M 40-80mm f/2.8-4.0 (PK mount) and a Promaster 28mm f/2.8 (PKa mount).

I'm at work so can't try the lenses out. But they all look good.

Thanks, folks.
02-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I bought the lens.

The focus ring feels undamped, however, not as bad as on most autofocus lenses, but not as "good" as on most manual focus lenses. Please tell me if your lens feels the same way.

Thanks, folks.
Yes, mine feels the same way, undamped. When I am shooting airplanes, I get it focused at infinity, then I can fine tune it as I am shooting with one finger.

Try the lens out and post some photo's when you get a chance,

Have a good one.
7.62lew
03-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be very careful with this lens. They have about a 50% defect rate. Mine has seperated elements as does my friends. Just google it and see all the horror stories. This and two other lenses (both expensive) are why I will never own another Sigma lens.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST # 16 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #17. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!

04-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
spld Bear:It is exactly this, including the PKa mount. Not brand new, but from the look and feel, I'd give it an 9/10 (10 being new).

As bonuses, the deal came with an SMC Pentax-M 40-80mm f/2.8-4.0 (PK mount) and a Promaster 28mm f/2.8 (PKa mount).

I'm at work so can't try the lenses out. But they all look good.

Thanks, folks.
Do you have any shots you can post with the Sigma 400? Thanks.