Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

dis assembling a Super Takumar 35mm F3.5

i got my copy for cheap, but it was droped (most likely), the filter thread was bent, i fixed that with a pair of pliers so atleast i can put a hood on it

but the focus has always been wobbly. (the image shakes in the viewfinder and you can feel it knocking around, although it focuses fine)

i know that something like the 135 F2.5 you can unscrew the "main barrel" with your bare hands, but try all i could with the 35 and it didnt come off.

or is this lens disassembled entirely from the back end?

TIA.

03-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll have to disassemble this lens from the front. A lot of Takumars look like a solid chunk of metal from the back, and anyway I think your problem is in the front. The bad news is, front disassembly means unscrewing the "name" ring (says Super-Takumar on it). That often uses the same threads as the filter ring. You might get lucky; on some lenses the name ring has its own set of threads. The ring comes off with a friction tool, basically a round rubber thing that you press into it that won't touch the front element. If it looks like the ring uses the filter threads, you should take extra care to chase the threads to get them as close to the original condition as possible, so the name ring doesn't get stuck. Screw on an old filter with deep threads a few times. A few drops of oil placed carefully on the threads helps, but don't get oil on the name ring or your friction tool won't have friction.

That's the hard part. With the ring off, you'll see three screws that hold the filter ring on. You may see three more screws next to these, with cutouts in the filter ring to make room for them. Or sometimes you must remove the filter ring first to see more screws. Your problem is somewhere in here. There are probably loose or missing screws holding the front lens group in place.

Further into the lens, there are 3 screws into a brass ring, holding the focus ring to the rest of the lens. If these are loose you should check infinity focus. I will usually take these off anyway if I see dirt around the brass ring. I use a toothbrush to sweep the dirt out and clean up, then put the ring back on and reset infinity focus
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nice! thx.

now to find a rubber plug...
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
now to find a rubber plug...
Raid the kitchen. You may get lucky....

I use a piece of rubber drawer liner, similar to this one, sandwiched between the "name" ring and a plastic rear lens cap. Just make sure that the liner is the kind that grips on both sides.

03-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
used a bath plug

the face plate on the 35mm f3.5 has its own thread, independent of the filter thread.

couple of loose screws, all is well in the universe.

thanks guys.