Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
To Lubricate a lens....??

I got a Kiron 105mm and its working very good.....

But i noticed that the apature leaver in the lens is not as smooth like my SMC-F 50mm

And when i move the leaver very slowly it makes a "piping" sound (is that a word??)

I opened the monut a found that it is the mount mechanism that is making the noise and making the apature leaver to go a bit tight...

The question is that do i lubricate the mechanism with????

Thanks

(Does it make any sense??)

03-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #2

Do not use oil in any case it might mess up the whole lens (especially the aperture). You can use some non-running grease, but if this is only an acoustical issue why would you fix something which is not broken?
03-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's some risk the oil migrating to places you don't want oil, like the aperture blades or lens surfaces. Using the right oil is important. Manual focus lenses have grease and sometimes oil in them already, just the right oil in the right places. With this lens, the risk is a little lower because the aperture mechanism is farther away from the blades.

Since the lens works fine, doing nothing is a good idea. If you still want to do something, find a very light oil that has a really wide working temperature range. Use just a drop on the key working points, then test it for a while to see if the aperture works well and the oil affects anything else. In the worst case, you might have to do some cleaning.
03-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Lube

I have used trumpet valve oil with much sucess, lightweight and work in all temperatures. If you feel like taking the risk talk to a brass laying friend they will likely have a few bottles!

Jeff