Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91810 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #736
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks Lee.

Point taken. I don't have to make any quick decisions on this one but I'll weigh all the pros and cons before I make a move. I'm still pretty fit but I'm closing in on 60 so weight will become a factor at some point as will eyesight. This getting older sucks.

Tom G
I beat you to 60 a couple months ago. Having worn eye correction since the third grade I don't claim good natural eyesight but at very long focal lengths I am finding it more fun and productive to use manual focus. I even removed the jinfinance split-prism screen since its not needed with the 400/2.8, expecially with a TC, and just gets in the way. BTW, I rented both a Bigma and a da*300/4 for a couple weeks before I bought any long lens to help me decide. Good luck with a decision and I look forward to your first pics.

06-27-2010, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #737
Veteran Member

Tom,

I don't know if I'm the one give you advice.

For me bird photography is a very specialized thing. Portability and AF means nothing to me. I always shot with a full sized tripod with gimbal fork mount head. None of my glass is even capable of AF. I never go bashing through the woods looking for a chance opportunity for a good shot.

I usually know what I'm looking for and where to find it so I just go there set up and wait. My gear is heavy bulky and very stable and robust giving me the very best possible quality. I usually shot in a very narrow focus range from about 15 to 30 feet. So I have a variable extension tube on the back that allows me to focus within this range. I never need to focus at infinity. In other words I'm set up to get good shots of fast moving little birds close in primarily.

I'm old school when it comes to focus. I cut my photographic teeth using the ground glass of a f/2.8 Rollieflex so I have learned to trust what my what my eyes tell me and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm 72 with astigmatism in one eye but I still much prefer MF.

Thinking about using only one lens for bird photography I would get the best 600mm I could lay my hands on and also get exactly the optimum TCs made for that lens and not mess about with third party TCs.

But as I say my preferences would fit my style but perhaps not yours.

Last edited by wildman; 07-30-2010 at 07:22 PM.
06-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #738
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I beat you to 60 a couple months ago. Having worn eye correction since the third grade I don't claim good natural eyesight but at very long focal lengths I am finding it more fun and productive to use manual focus. I even removed the jinfinance split-prism screen since its not needed with the 400/2.8, expecially with a TC, and just gets in the way. BTW, I rented both a Bigma and a da*300/4 for a couple weeks before I bought any long lens to help me decide. Good luck with a decision and I look forward to your first pics.
Hey Lee,

Like yourself I always focus manually and installed a KatzEye screen in the K10 to help with the process. I find it helps a lot, especially with the 200, 300 and 400mm focal lengths. I find it more accurate than relying on the infocus indicator light.

Good advice about renting before buying. I'll see if it is possible to rent a few lenses before taking the plunge. I'm afraid it may be a while before I take that plunge. I've still got two kids in university and they are the priority at this time.

Tom G
06-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #739
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Tom,

I don't know if I'm the one give you advice.

For me bird photography is a very specialized thing. Portability and AF means nothing to me. I always shot with a full sized tripod with gimbal fork mount head. None of my glass is even capable of AF. I never go bashing through the woods looking for a chance opportunity for a good shot.

I usually know what I'm looking for and where to find it so I just go there set up and wait. My gear is heavy bulky and very stable and robust giving me the very best possible quality. I usually shot in a very narrow focus range from about 15 to 30 feet. So I have a variable extension tube on the back that allows me to focus within this range. I never need to focus at infinity. In other words I'm set up to get good shots of fast moving little birds close in primarily.

I'm old school when it comes to focus. I cut my photographic teeth using the ground glass of a f/2.8 Rollieflex so I have learned to trust what my what my eyes tell me and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm 72 with astigmatism in one eye but I still much prefer MF.

Thinking about using only one lens for bird photography I would get the best 600mm I could lay my hands on and also get exactly the optimum TCs made for that lens and not mess about with third party TCs.

But as I say my preferences would fit my style but perhaps not yours.
Sounds like your the exact guy to be giving advice buddy. Solid tripod, best optics one can afford and knowing your subject matter. It makes sense to me. Just add a blind and a comfortable chair and I'm good to go.

Tom G

06-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, we are a bunch of geezers aren't we?

To my mind, there's a parallel with my other recreational pastime, fishing. There's "chuck and wait" bait fishing and then there's exploring the water with a fly rod or artificial lures of some sort. Given my short little span of attention, I much prefer the latter and actually think I get better results fishing on the move. OTOH, I think there's really no question but that Wildman's approach is the ticket to high quality bird photography and his results certainly attest to that.
06-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #741

I'm 62, and I prefer walking myself. There's something to be said in terms of exercise of handling a 5-pound lens and taking photos. Of course, I'm somewhat lucky, since I'm next door to a game land, and have a choice of topography from forest, field, and a fair-size pond (about 500 feet wide with the occasional osprey and bald eagle). There's a lot of luck in terms of sightings, such as a punk chickadee.

That was taken with my 1000/f11. On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for staying indoors (which is the equivalent of having a blind) for birds that come to my feed area. The pileated woodpecker isn't as sharp as some others, but I like it as an action shot (taken with the 55-300mm DA).

Of course, sometimes nature shots are those one has to travel to, such as the eaglets in Bald Eagle State Park (also with the 55-300mm DA, taken from a kayak).

Then the final classification are those shots that are sheer luck; maybe they don't work as fine photography, but I consider them interesting, such as the osprey about to land on a dead tree (with the 1000mm, when I misjudged the amount of light).

But whatever one says or does, isn't it fun to be out there?
Attached Images

06-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CGottfried Quote
Yes it is! That Osprey shot is something else, btw-- major issues but still spectacular!

06-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #743
Site Supporter

I second a vote for the Osprey.
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CGottfried Quote
I'm 62, and I prefer walking myself.
I'm 70 and I feel the same, even when my shoulders feel the weight of my tripod for too long - I have to change shoulders, but I don't stop.
QuoteQuote:
That is the greatest fun of all.
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #745

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm 70 and I feel the same, even when my shoulders feel the weight of my tripod for too long - I have to change shoulders, but I don't stop. That is the greatest fun of all.
Thanks dadipentak, imtheguy, and Canada_Rockies.

It's reassuring to know a Pentaxer is out there when 70. I find that photography lets me have an easier pacing on more difficult terrain (like at Bryce Canyon). Nothing like stopping, enjoying the view, and taking a photo.
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well this one came in the mail today.

I managed to catch it from Matsuiyastore before it disappeared like the last one. Where do they manage to find these things? It's in very clean condition, although a couple of paint nicks have been fixed. According to bdimitrov's page it's somewhere between 10 and 26 years old, so that's to be expected. The glass is pristine, and it came with a new 112mm Pentax front filter. Given that the F* and FA* 600s are over twice the weight, (all that glass for the extra stop and auto-focus gear) I'll be content to manually focus. Speaking of ospreys, I only wish I'd had this one last month when I saw this shot, when I only had my 60-250.

06-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #747
Site Supporter

Its a purty one!
06-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Well this one came in the mail today.
Gasp!
06-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #749
Banned

Photos: Albums
FA 100-300 f/4.7-5.8

Click for larger version - details tab has shooting information:

Both at 300mm:

Seagull:

Crow:
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #750
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Well this one came in the mail today
Wow. That should be one large mail you got.

Nice shots. BTW, when manual focusing, do you have the aperture as wide as possible or do you look for more depth of field.
I have tried manual focusing, but play safe by increasing the depth of field to cover for any out of focus issues