08-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

F*300 with AF1.7x teleconverter.
08-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That one has a lotapop, Tom-very 3D and very sharp!
08-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #859
Veteran Member

Nice shot Pinholecam.

Thanks Dave - got the focus just about right here.

I imagine AF would hunt and peck a lot trying to zero in in this situation.

Anything new from your A 400/2.8?

Tom G

08-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #860
Forum Member

40 year old Hanimex

Just thought I would add a photo I just took from a old 300mm Hanimex. Great lens, very light and balances nice with k200d. I did PP work with it and it was about a 50% crop. I can carry this on my belt all day without noticing the weight that’s the main reason I keep and cherish it. Looking at upgrading to AF lens but like most depends on money.
Attached Images

08-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #861
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work, djayvo--I like the unconventional composition and tone.
08-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SP 300 vs. AF 75-300 DL

Guess it won't hurt to repeat this in this thread for reference. Here's an illustrated difference between < $100 and > $700 300mm lenses with a 1.4X TC.

The Tamron AF 75-300/4-5.6 LD (672D) at 300mm and f 8 with the Tamron 1.4X PZ-AF MC4. Cropped to 100% and lightly sharpened in Faststone Viewer. That's an effective aperture of f 11, one stop above actual max aperture. There's a very noticeable softening at f 5.6.

The Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300/2.8 (360B) at f 4 with the Adaptall 140F TC.
Same PP-ing. Effective aperture f 5.6 here. The image sharpness improves between f 2.8 and f 3.5 actual.

Both off a sandbag rest with the SSLTT (Super Sophisticated Lens Test Target) at about 100 yds. APS-C FL is 600+mm for both.

Here's the normal view through the SP 300 without the TC and before cropping. The holes in the grill are about 2mm in diameter.

With hand held or makeshift support in the field, and under practical circumstances and good light, the economy 70-300mm zooms can produce credible results compared to lenses that cost a LOT more. They're most certainly good training wheels while learning the quirks and special tricks (mentioned above by Blue) that frustrate new tele lens users.

H2

08-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #863
Site Supporter

I love lens sharpness comparesons as much or more than the next person but in this case we are evaluating the very different lighting as well as sharpening software. I don't disagree with your basic conclusion but the very oblique direct lighting on the 2nd shot makes detail more obvious (to me anyway) than the soft (overcast or shade?) lighting on the first shot. How would the weaker lens have fared if used in the better lighting is my first thought. I know its hard to control conditions outdoors though. Thanks for posting the comparison.
08-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not that the pig whistles so well, but that he whistles at all that amazes us.

Your point's certainly valid regarding technical comparisons, but my intent here was to show that under given circumstances (and budget constraints?) an econ tele lens can produce results that folks needn't be ashamed of showing family and friends. Many of our current forum members haven't got the broader experience with lenses some of us have and can be inadvertently brainwashed into believing only the very best is acceptable.

Granted, my 75-300 selection came about as the result of an opportunistic 'shoot-out' between five 300mm's (including a SupTak 300/f 4 but not the SP 300), but the point I hoped to make in the context of this thread was that 90% of the satisfaction can be achieved at 1/10th the cost in the realm of consumer 300mm lenses-- not a bad trade IME.

Similarly, if field conditions are such that I can't take advantage of the aperture and IQ advantage of the (heavy, MF) high-end lens, I don't hesitate to carry the much lighter, more versatile and convenient AF zoom lenses on the theory that a shot not taken is never seen.

Minor PP tweaking can take up a lot of slack today and I feel it should be taken into consideration, without apology, in determining the general suitability of a lens for a given purpose -- especially for those beginners on a budget. (For the record, sharpening (minimal) and cropping were approximately the same for both shots.)

H2

>> 'Guy': Incidentally, I'd be interested in doing some controlled comparison shots between your DA* 300 and my SP 300/2.8 to see the relative differences. <<

Last edited by pacerr; 08-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.
08-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #865
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
>> 'Guy': Incidentally, I'd be interested in doing some controlled comparison shots between your DA* 300 and my SP 300/2.8 to see the relative differences. <<

Sure thing. I can throw my a*400/2.8 into the mix if you want to kind of bracket your 300/2.8. Just send a pm outlining the plan and what you want me to provide.
08-18-2010, 03:10 AM   #866
Veteran Member

Tamron adaptall SP300 f2.8 with SP 2x teleconverter and some corellas.
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/august2010/slides/PICT9065.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/august2010/slides/PICT9138.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/august2010/slides/PICT9134.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
08-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #867
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
xjjohnno those are great shots of the birds. It is obvious to me that you have birds that are quite different than what I see around here in Minnesota. Can you tell us what the two bird species, if they are different, are your photographs?? Thank you, Alan.
08-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #868
Veteran Member

kacansas03, long billed corellas are the bird species, parrot family, the one displaying the crest is the male. They have a rather comical walk, kind of waddle around they do.
08-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #869
Veteran Member

What a great set of posts/shots the past couple of weeks....xjjohnno, I'm presuming you have to keep your distance to the corellas as they are not always friendly?

Well I'm back from vacation camping at Englishman River Falls and Rathtrevor beach. There was a cougar spotted a couple of campsites down from ours so we didn't venture around very much at night and I kept the kids close. (would have made a great shot but under the circumstances, I just wanted to stay away).

Anyways, this little guy apparently had great fun dropping pine cones on the top of our tent early in the morning. He also didn't mind telling our kids to quiet down if they started to play a little loud.... Taken handheld from our camp chairs - A*300/2.8....

There is a wildlife recovery centre close to our campground, so I can't take credit for tracking this guy down in the wild. A slight crop to get rid of an annoying wire.....

08-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #870
Veteran Member

I've searched through a number of threads and as Astrophotography is new to me, I'm still not quite able to figure out what is needed and I hope someone doesn't mind pointing me in the right direction (and I thought this would be the right thread to ask).

I'm trying to figure out what is needed to attach a camera to a Pentax telescope (645 and 35mm) and found the following diagram, but it isn't clear to me what exactly is needed, and which items are optional. It is my understanding that telescope tubes are typically not a huge focal length, (using the eye piece for magnification).

I found the diagram but can't translate it and even if I could, it might still leave a few questions.

I am presuming;

I can attach the camera directly to the tube using a single adapter? This would limit pictures to the focal length of the tube but would give me the best quality?

I can attach the camera with lens attached via the filter thread using another adapter? This would give greater magnification but would reduce light and quality?

Thanks,
Steve