Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 70-150 P/K Doesnt fit?

G'day guys...

Just recieved my Bargain vivitar 70-150 f3.8 close focus lens, and it wont fit the K20, it has a 180deg protrusion from the aperture control that interferes with the section in the camera that has 2 contacts on...

should this be an issue? or do i just dremel the area off? has anyone suffered this?

other than that its a mint lens!

Thanks

Steve

04-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Forum Member

Did it look like the lens on the right in this pic? If so you have the same problem as me. (and if I remember mine is a vivitar too) I'm on vacation in florida right now, but a solution for my 50-135 3.2 would be awesome.

Sorry i wasn't any help,

~T

04-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The one on the right, you see that flange/guard that's there to protect the aperture lever? In your pic, it's all marred up where it's meeting resistence inside the camera's mount.

You can remove that piece easily. It's the whole dark grey piece, and it's held on with 3-4 tiny screws.

Once removed, you can either stop there and mount the lens or you can get fancy and "trim"; that flange once it's removed with a Dremel or something. I usually just chuck the thing.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
Did it look like the lens on the right in this pic? If so you have the same problem as me. (and if I remember mine is a vivitar too) I'm on vacation in florida right now, but a solution for my 50-135 3.2 would be awesome.

Sorry i wasn't any help,

~T

04-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can alter the flange to make it fit
  1. unscrew the tiny screws, remove the end piece that is called a baffle that has the flange too long
  2. when the baffle is removed from your lens, you can use a file to grind it down, use another similar K mount for reference.
  3. reinstall the baffle with the original tiny screws, probably three of them

If you don't have a file or a handy dremel type of drill, you can just try perform the 1st step and use the lens without baffle. But I tend to like to put things back in order. In any case, pay special attention to the alternation in not letting any dust get into your lens or camera. Make sure you do the filing or grinding only when the baffle is removed from the lens.

You can see some similar operation in my blog page:
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 from Kiron - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 04-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.
04-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks guys for the info, yes it was exactly as shown in the picture but no it wasnt that mangled... you must of really heaved that in!

i have taken the piece off and filed it back copying another K mount, and then finished the bare metal off with a black marker pen, you wouldnt know it had been modified!

it now fits so i have to take it out to play... been raining all day here tho!

Steve
04-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Steve,

I posted this earlier last week. It is a dependable lens, the 2x or 1.5x matched multiplier going as a set made Kiron with serial#22 are quite useful too.

Thanks,
Hin

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Yes, it is cheap. It is Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 made by Kiron.

Kiron made 2x TC is quite decent

There are two zoom type with 1-touch and 2-touch format. I have used both and they come in either K mount and M42 mount. All have close focusing capability and close up happen in 70mm end and magnification ratio roughly goes to 1:4

I bought it for $40 from Youngster in PF and I got his two touch zoom in M42 mount for the Av mode. The K mount is just as good and very similar. If you look for this zoom, also look for the ones that pair with Vivitar/Kiron 1.5x or 2x matched multiplier as I have used the 2x multiplier. The Kiron has done a great job in the lens as well as the matched multiplier.

I reckon the 2 touch zoom share many IQ with the one touch but I prefer the 2-touch zoom for less mistakes in moving the zoom position while focusing. The best about the two touch zoom are as follows:
  • very sharp, even wide open are sharp
  • though 2-touch is bigger, but still relatively small to cover a useful range
  • close focus is quite good due to good sharpness, when paired with diopter, it is like a 1:2 close up zoom lens
  • f/3.8 is very capable for this zoom
  • bokeh is alright, will be nice if softer
  • slight tendency for bluish color
  • built-in lens hood but not deep enough

Some close up with
Cosina 1:1 matched macro adapter
roughly 1:2 in the combo

Some casual street shots

The lens often goes low value and if you love manual lens zoom lens that don't break budget, this is a value lens to get from Kiron.

Thanks,
Hin
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks again Hin i think it was this post i used as a boost for me buying the lens.. i only paid 15gbp for it... and have just had it hand delivered to Oz by some friends that are on holiday here! it looks a very very solid lens.. and is completely boxed, with only the rear cap missing.

I'll see if i can get round to posting a picture of the lens.. and i'll maybe keep my eye out for the converters, are they matched with the lens (ie originally bought as a set).. or matched to compliment the lens?

Thanks

Steve

04-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was hoping that yours come with the 2x matched multiplier. If not, I won't recommend getting it unless it is inexpensive to get as in $20. And though the multiplier is nice addition as a regular TC, I won't be using it often on the f/3.8 zoom. The range in 70-150 is already useful in f/3.8 and TC will cause loss of light along with other caveats with degradation on IQ and more prone to CA. I only use the TC for extreme longer reach with a faster lens where I lack reach to 300mm or 400mm.

The lens is definitely well built by Kiron. Bokeh can be better. Sharpness is the best strength in this lens. 2-touch zoom will be better IMO. I think yours is in K mount. I had the K mount and later swapped with m42 mount as I like M42 lens to react quicker without the stop-down metering. I can use the m42 variant in Av mode. For your K mount, you need to use in M mode and do stop-down metering with green button in K10/20D or AE-L in k100/200 etc.

And the filter size is 52mm and if you like close up, I recommend a good 52mm close up set as in +1,+2,+4 or something like my Cosina 1:1 achromatic diopter in 49mm with a step up ring from 49mm to 52mm. The combo is sharp like a macro lens, a bit exaggeration perhaps. It is an amazing lens if you enjoy manual focusing.

I like to use the zoom for casual street shooting as in
  • portraits
  • candid street shooting

Thanks,
Hin

QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
thanks again Hin i think it was this post i used as a boost for me buying the lens.. i only paid 15gbp for it... and have just had it hand delivered to Oz by some friends that are on holiday here! it looks a very very solid lens.. and is completely boxed, with only the rear cap missing.

I'll see if i can get round to posting a picture of the lens.. and i'll maybe keep my eye out for the converters, are they matched with the lens (ie originally bought as a set).. or matched to compliment the lens?

Thanks

Steve