Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Viviatar 28-85 2.8-3.8 dissappointment

I was all excited I received a Vivitar 28-85 from a web store Friday. What I read was that this was a really nice lens and I do not own or can I afford too many 2.8 lenses. The problem and disappointment is that since it is manual lens when I turn the aperture ring from F 2.8 to F 22 the iris does not open and close. I also move the aperture actuator on the mount and no movement there either. I have not seen a manual lens in 20 years and what I remember is that when you turn the aperture ring isn’t the iris suppose to open and close with it? The store said it was in mint ++ and in excellent working condition. The exterior and the lenses are in really excellent condition, but since the aperture does not work it is a really nice paperweight… I bought 2 lens and the other one was as advertised. The store that I bought it from said it does have a return policy, but it is for credit only… Of course they are not open until Monday. Bummer…. I will keep everyone informed….

04-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #2

Hmmm...

I thought the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 I borrowed to use on my K10 had the some problem, until I put it on the camera. There is a switch that says 'man' or 'auto' and you can't see the blades open and close unless you actually put it on the camera and flick the switch to auto. Then you can see the blades open and close. But only when the lens is on the camera. If i take it off, I can't do it.

So in other words, did you determine this problem with it on or off the camera?
04-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh man, is it a KMount one or M42 screw version?
04-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

charlie,
this is a superb lens. you have to be in manual mode with it tho. unless theres an A setting. put the lens on the cam and in manual mode and try the DOF button to see if it closes down. if it doesn't then the lens is bad. hopefully the is a K mount lens or this is all moot. with the lens off the camera in say f16 does the lens shop down when you manually activate it by moveing the lever.

04-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

charlie, went back and read your post,,, dah... oldtimers i guess

these lenses were known for two things, 1- quality images, 2- really rotten grease that turns to oil and gets hard. from what you say you have #2. i have one also. the fix is you have to take it apart and clean and regrease it. that's the only way. what's the serial number??
04-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Vivitar

The Lens #22123175/ no “A” setting/ completely manual/ K mount. I put the camera in Manual and turn the aperture dail and I can hear and feel it move, but I see no DOF change in preview. I have a K100D and it is set in custom setting to DOF preview. I move it from F 2.8 to F22 and no change in DOF like I said I do hear it go ka-ching. The lens feels oily too….
Here are some pic’s…

Last edited by Eastern Shore Charlie; 04-18-2007 at 09:09 AM.
04-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ok take the lens off the camera and remove the caps. Look through the lens while changing the aperture. Do the blades close and if they do, how well?

Next, change the aperture to f22. The blades should be almost totally closed. Flick or push the aperture pin that sticks out. Do the blades open and close freely?

04-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FotoPete ,
I mentioned in my original post that I did move the aperture ring manually and there was no change of the aperture opening or closing. From what I am reading from the replies this is a bad lens. Too bad...
04-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
FotoPete ,
I mentioned in my original post that I did move the aperture ring manually and there was no change of the aperture opening or closing. From what I am reading from the replies this is a bad lens. Too bad...
Try smacking it? Okok, not hard but with the palm of your hand on the lens body. Maybe the apertures oiled it. My Makinon 28/2.8 is like that. It sometimes gets stuck wide open and it have to hit it a couple tims for the blades to come off. But it closes way too slowly to be buffered by the Mirror Up + 2 sec timer. $3 paperweight.

Should ask for a refund then. These lenses are rather hard to disassemble.
04-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
The Lens #22123175
the first 22 numbers indicate that it's made by kiron, and those lenses are known for oil on the blades... ideally, you should be able to visually inspect the aperture blades for oil.

you can get more info on kiron lenses at the kiron club on yahoo... there is a guy in canada who will take the lense apart and clean up the blades for $48, perhaps the store will give you credit, since it appears to be defective? they shouldn't be selling it to anyone.

if you are stuck with it, let us know, it is possible to unscrew the chrome k-mount and try to actuate the blades directly, as a troubleshooting measure.
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help and advice...I am sending the lens back tomorrow and I will find out after they receive it back - if they will honor what they say on thier web site. I am pretty sure they will. If not I will make sure I let everyone know the name of the company I am dealing with then. Is that permitted to name the company or is that in poor taste?
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I hope that they honor it for you Charlie, and if they do can you still let us know who they are.
It might help someone here in the future.
04-17-2007, 04:11 AM   #13
roy
Inactive Account

esc,
i've got 2 lenses like this. both times i've requested full refunds plus there shipping and the return shipping. both times i got it and kept the lens because it was worthless. both will eventually be my first attempts at fixing lenses. i do have repair instructions for this lens. PM me if you want them. i think it's about 4meg email.
04-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I promised I would let people know the rest of this story. I called the store yesterday and they gave me full credit back for the lens. I even decided on another lens with the store credit and they shipped the lens at no cost to me and I got it today. The store was Cameta Camera. Not the original lens, but they honored their policy and they were very friendly dealing with. No hassles.
Charlie
04-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

wow thats very good!