Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentacon lens on Pentax ?.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I saw a display of some Pentacon lenses on local used shop here, but they don't familiar with these lens.

Any possibilities to use Pentacon ( or Prakticar) lens other than m42 mount on Pentax DSLR.
How can differentiate which lens is working w/ an adapter?

Many thanks

Last edited by RTogog; 04-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Igilligan

What mounts are they?

I use the M42 mounts, and there are some m39 to m42 adaptors....

What are the actual mounts on the Pentacons?
04-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just be imformed this model have a bayonet mount w 3 pins,
Many thanks
04-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentacon six? There is an adapter for them.

04-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hello R to go G,

you have seen the Praktica B-mount (PB-mount) and it looks like this:

Unfortunately the distance of the B-mount to the film or sensor plane is 1.1 mm less than on Pentax-K or M42 lenses. This is the reason why there will never be an adapter PB-mount to Pentax-K-mount which would focus to infinity and does not have corrective lenses in the adapter. Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pentacon lenses for the PB-mount are worth something from 0 - 10 dollars (really) and they are all available for the same price in M42-mount (the exact same lenses). PRAKTICA-USERS.COM - B-mount Lens list

I like tinkering a little but so far I could not tinker the PB-mount to PK. There is one lens from the above list I want to convert (which does not exist in M42), and that's the 1st version 1.4/50 Pancolar which is seen on the above photo.

Other than that, look for the M42 versions of those lenses and forget the Praktica-B-mount.

Best, Georg (the other)
04-27-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Unfortunately the distance of the B-mount to the film or sensor plane is 1.1 mm less than on Pentax-K or M42 lenses. This is the reason why there will never be an adapter PB-mount to Pentax-K-mount which would focus to infinity and does not have corrective lenses in the adapter. Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best, Georg (the other)
Cool wiki lens mount link. Thanks for posting.
04-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
M42 mount on DSLR?

Thank you very much for the kind responds and link.

It is rich of information for better knowing about my camera. It is sad fact that PB mount will not working on PK mount as expected w/o availability of adapter.

So, the other option is to use Screw mount w m42 mount. I compared both Screw mount m42 on Pentax or Pentacon have "needle" to manage the aperture when set on AUTO mode. Does this needle have function on DSLR?

What is the setting mode for acquire correct exposure (w m42 mount lens) on DSLR?

Many thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Hello R to go G,

you have seen the Praktica B-mount (PB-mount) and it looks like this:

Pentacon lenses for the PB-mount are worth something from 0 - 10 dollars (really) and they are all available for the same price in M42-mount (the exact same lenses). PRAKTICA-USERS.COM - B-mount Lens list

I like tinkering a little but so far I could not tinker the PB-mount to PK. There is one lens from the above list I want to convert (which does not exist in M42), and that's the 1st version 1.4/50 Pancolar which is seen on the above photo.

Other than that, look for the M42 versions of those lenses and forget the Praktica-B-mount.

Best, Georg (the other)

04-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #8

Prakticar-Bayonett is a dead system, that´s reality. If someone likes Praktica B-series, the B200 ist the only one, which is comparable with western niveau. This camera was a competitor to the Pentax ME super. Because of Time-automatic and modern Gallium-Arsenid-lightmeter.

But Praktica L-Series (but only the full-mechanical) are more reliable and longlasting and with the free M42-Mount.

Praktica MTL 50 was last of the M42-models and best Praktica ever (LED-Indicator in the viewfinder, so open-aperture-metering ist not needed). So you have the stop-down-button, too!
05-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi RTogog,
I have searched hard for a comprehensive guide on this forum for your question but couldn't find it, so here are some part-answers.

RTogog said:
QuoteQuote:
So, the other option is to use Screw mount w m42 mount. I compared both Screw mount m42 on Pentax or Pentacon have "needle" to manage the aperture when set on AUTO mode. Does this needle have function on DSLR?
No, it does not have any function on any DSLR.

RTogog said:
QuoteQuote:
What is the setting mode for acquire correct exposure (w m42 mount lens) on DSLR?
It is either AV-mode and around +1.5 EV depending on the lens or M-mode.

You gotta dig into the menues to get the M42 going. Here is the do-or-die setting first,
K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Note: The rest of the above link talks about "manual lenses" which is PK-mount lenses. That's a different thing to M42!

Here's some more about it, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/5423-m42-lenses-k100d.html

You gotta find a PK-M42 adapter that sits flush on the PK-mount. If you get an adapter with a collar/flange, you will not get infinity.

The M42 lens should have an "A-M"-switch on it (read: Auto-Manual-switch). This allows the lens to be stopped down on a DSLR. You can check it on any M42 lens by turning the aperture ring to say f/8. If the lens is switched to "M", the aperture will close down synchronous to your turning of the ring. If not, the aperture will only close down when you push down the needle you have talked about (read: aperture pin).

Hope you are not discouraged by all this, I am a big fan of those M42 and for me it did help me pick up the basics of photography faster.

Long lenses for cheapskates: M42 MC Enna/Revuenon 300/5.6 on K100D
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/2895197126_875cdbcf15_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
Cheers, Georg (the other)

Last edited by georgweb; 05-01-2009 at 05:01 AM.
05-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
How it works?

Many thanks for the kind reply & comprehensive links.

I never use m42 lens before on DSLR, but a bit familiar w/ K,M or KA lenses. So, I still curious how it works.

1. With m 42 lens, we only can do metering after switching the lens to M (manual) and the camera will turn to dark in accordance w/ the aperture size. It means @ f16 will create darker viewfinder compared to f2.8.

2. This situation will hard to do focusing. So, it is better to do focusing first before setting the exposure. Other way is switch back the A/M switch to A then do focusing.

Tell me if the statements above wrong or there are other method which can perform faster.

Many thanks.
RTogog

Last edited by RTogog; 05-01-2009 at 09:36 PM.
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think you are right, you have described it as the most common to do.

But, if you have nice sunny light it is quite possible to stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 and still focus stopped down.

You will also dig the zone focus real quick and that's what I meant as a benefit of learning. With a wide angle, set it to f/8 and you have something like 2 meters all the way to inifinity in focus. Just hold still and push the button.

Best, Georg (the other)
03-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Ube

Photos: Albums
I know that this thread is old, but I didn't want to start a new one when this one exist .
My father gave my his Pentacon lens, Pentacon Six MC Sonnar f4 300mm Carl Zeiss Jena DDR.
He used it on his Praktica L2, and I was searching for a adapter ring to mount it on my K30, but unsuccessfully. I would appreciate it if you can help me . I mean if it exist.
Thanks in advance.
03-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ube Quote
I know that this thread is old, but I didn't want to start a new one when this one exist .
My father gave my his Pentacon lens, Pentacon Six MC Sonnar f4 300mm Carl Zeiss Jena DDR.
He used it on his Praktica L2, and I was searching for a adapter ring to mount it on my K30, but unsuccessfully. I would appreciate it if you can help me . I mean if it exist.
Thanks in advance.
Like this?

Pentacon 6 Kiev 60 Adapter Pentax K100D K10D K20D K200D | eBay

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html
03-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Ube

Photos: Albums
Hahaha .
I just wanted to post that I found something on AliExpress, right after submitted previous post .
I think I found exact the same adapter
Mount Adapter Ring Suit For Pentacon 6/Kiev 60 Lens to Pentax PK K K 3 K 50 K 5 II K 30 K 01 K 5 K r K x K 7 K m K20D Camera-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

I just hope that's the one.