Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 Macro

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has got this lens and what they think of it? I realize that DA* 16-50/2.8 is coming out but at double the price of the Sigma, I am not sure I will be able to justify the cost of the DA*.

Thanks
Kenny

04-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am actually trying to get my hands on one of these myself.
04-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #3

I have had two copies of this lens. It is very sharp, has excellent image quality, and is built very well. It is not without problems though. In high contrast scenes, It suffered from the worst CA I have ever seen, and many pictures had a slight yellowish tint that was very hard to remove. A simple white balance correction would not correct it, and many times it was near impossible to get rid of without messing up the other colors. I do not really recommend this lens, and would suggest waiting for the DA* 16-50, or getting the Sigma 17-70, which is every bit as good optically, and does not suffer from the same problems.
04-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

what about the non macro version of this len? the 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC. is there still the CA and yellowd tint problem with this lens?

thanks,

Tyler

04-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mr CJ: I would really appreciate it if you can share your experience after you have got it!

kbrabble: Thanks for your input. Sigma 17-70 is another lens I have been looking at.

Tyler: I heard that the new Macro one is supposed to be better than the older non-Macro version.

Another thing (rumour?) I have heard is that Tamron 17-50/2.8 will come out in Pentax mount later this year.

cheers
Kenny
04-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Yeah I would love to know about the diff between macro and non macro versions. I want the 2.8 all the way through the range as I want it for photographing my mate's bands' gigs.

And also for me the size diff between the sigma and the pentax 16-50 is a clincher... that pentax lens is much bigger /heavier I imagine.

shame we don't have the choice of the tamron isn't it!
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote

Another thing (rumour?) I have heard is that Tamron 17-50/2.8 will come out in Pentax mount later this year.
If that is true, then just wow. That is an incredible lens from the reviews ive read but I was so disapointed when I saw they didnt make it for the Pentax mount. Hopefully that rumor is true

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
shame we don't have the choice of the tamron isn't it!
Well if that above rumor is true, we will!

05-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kbrabble Quote
I have had two copies of this lens. It is very sharp, has excellent image quality, and is built very well. It is not without problems though. In high contrast scenes, It suffered from the worst CA I have ever seen, and many pictures had a slight yellowish tint that was very hard to remove. A simple white balance correction would not correct it, and many times it was near impossible to get rid of without messing up the other colors. I do not really recommend this lens, and would suggest waiting for the DA* 16-50, or getting the Sigma 17-70, which is every bit as good optically, and does not suffer from the same problems.
Hi, Kbrabble,

I assumed the two copies that you had were the older generation without Macro, I don't think you have tried the new generation with Macro version yet, the new generation lens doesn't have all the "Yellowish tint" that you talked about. here is the review of that lens by Pop photo Lens Test: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro - - PopPhotoMay 2007
05-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #9

Yes, you are correct, I did not realize there even were two versions of this lens at the time I posted. Hopefully, SIGMA has worked out the problems in the earlier version.
05-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kbrabble Quote
Yes, you are correct, I did not realize there even were two versions of this lens at the time I posted. Hopefully, SIGMA has worked out the problems in the earlier version.
I have no problems with the "earlier version". Photodo said at a particular setting it was the sharpest lens they had tested, and a yellow tint and horrible CA was not mentioned.

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #11

Dont get me rong, the lens was extremely sharp, and under many situations showed no problems. However, CA and the yellow tint are very well known problems with this lens. Either of these problems can be corrected in processing, and do not necessarily make it a bad lens. They do make it so as I do not reccomend it.

If the new version has corrected these flaws, and retained the same IQ, it will indeed be an amazing lens.
05-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Forum Member

Yeah, I can't believe the Tamron 17-50 is not out yet for Pentax. It is a great lens. I guess all the good stuff are coming out later this year. Make sure you save enough money .
05-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has got this lens and what they think of it? I realize that DA* 16-50/2.8 is coming out but at double the price of the Sigma, I am not sure I will be able to justify the cost of the DA*.
I had saved this review of the Sigma. I'm considering it, too - altho I'm drawn more to the newer (macro) version. Some of the dpreview posted pics on the N*kon platform are excellent...

"Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC review
Verdict
This lens is small for an f/2.8 model and although it suffers slightly at the wide-open aperture the focusing ability throughout the focal range warrants the aperture. From f/4 onwards it is a cracking lens that is light enough to have fitted to the camera permanently as a walk-round lens. It left me feeling that the extra price paid over the standard DC lens was well worth it. A highly recommended lens.

In summary the main positive points of the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC are:
Quick, accurate autofocus
Small and light for an f/2.8 lens
Sharpest lens tested to date
Useful protective pouch

Negative points are:
CA wide open
Slight distortions at either end (Minor point)"

ePHOTOzine.com - Equipment - Reviews - Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC

Cheers
Ted
05-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

futher - I found this on a C*non forum...

"There was a comparison review in Photography Monthly (UK) - May '07 edition for wide zooms.

The lenses on test were:
Canon 17-55
Nikon 17-55
Sigma 18-50 Macro
Tamron 17-50
Olympus 14-54
Pentax 16-45

The winner was Sigma 18-50 Macro "
05-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #15

Hi all,

Thanks
Kenny
Hi Kenny,

I just got one delivered last night, it is amazingly fast in low light, very quick focus...Like an eagle eye. Do I like it ? Yes, I love it, I can seal the kit lens and put it away now. The colour is very good, I didn't see any yellow tint like most of the older version Sigma lenses, the macro was fun to have, I was playing with macro at 50mm in a few inches to the subject. I have a few pics to share with you, if I can attach them to the post with resize 780 X 520. The out door one is 18mm wide open at F2.8 1/3000.

Last edited by BigMac; 05-17-2007 at 12:01 AM.