Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
40mm (×1.5) = great focal length

So, I decided to get my K100D with the 40mm f/2.8 DA lens instead of the kit lens to start out. I decided the extra speed is more important to me than the more versatile zoom. Of course, more lenses are in the plans (saving for 77mm f/1.8, the 50-200mm zoom, and, most of all, the 16-50 f/2.8 DA*) but so far I'm really happy. Not having zoom makes me think more, which isn't a bad thing at all. And although 60mm-equivalent seems like an awkward focal length, I'm finding it really quite useful for my primary subject (see below).

I guess it's kind of like a normal lens which automatically forces you to crop out more extraneous clutter from the edge of the frame.

No post-processing except a tiny color adjustment and of course the resize down with slight sharpening.

Oh, hey. The forum software resized my portrait-orientation examples; the rules are pro-landscape, I see. They looked better than that when I uploaded 'em (that's some serious jpeg artifacting). Oh well.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo     
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PS: I know there's some horribly blown-out highlights, particularly in the swing picture. Still getting the hang of that.
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Great shots. I love the colors.

I understand you used Jpeg out the camera? Bright mode?
04-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote
Great shots. I love the colors.
Thanks.

QuoteQuote:
I understand you used Jpeg out the camera? Bright mode?
Yes. I just got the camera, so I haven't gotten all the settings adjusted to my eventual normal defaults yet. The bottom two are bright mode with saturation turned down a notch.

The one with the swing I turned the dial to the "sports" mode, and I'm not sure how that affects the colors and other settings (if I recall, the options in the menu are greyed out in these modes). I don't think I'll use those modes very much in real life -- aperture priority with auto-ISO is what I generally prefer. I really wish instead of having the predefined special modes it gave a choice of several different user-defined settings, which could default to those but be tweakable however one wants. But I should kvetch about this in the other forum rather than in the lenses section.

04-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. I got an older M 40mm pancake for pretty cheap a while back and I love using it. After seeing your pics, I'm really considering getting a DA 40mm now.
04-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

Great second shot. I agree also that the DA 40 is wonderful. A little long on cropped sensor, so if that's the case I switch to the 35 f/2 to get closer to 50mm.
04-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What cute shots!
The 40mm seems to be an all around great performer..

thanks for sharing,

cheers

randy

04-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
PS: I know there's some horribly blown-out highlights, particularly in the swing picture. Still getting the hang of that.
Blown highlights is an over-rated "issue". Nice shots.
04-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Thanks.

...I turned the dial to the "sports" mode, and I'm not sure how that affects the colors and other settings (if I recall, the options in the menu are greyed out in these modes).
Any "Auto Picture mode" will be in "Bright" which boosts the color - in some cases certain colors will "glow"

Sports mode bumps the shutter up, and changes the AF to continuous.
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I agree, the 40mm Limited is a great 'walk-around' lens. I am in St. John's, Newfoundland on some business. We were getting a touch of cabin-fever so decided to walk the harbour in spite of the lousy weather. This shot is the bow of a fishing boat tied up at the wharf. Again, the highlights are 'blown' due to a heavy overcast/foggy sky, but the prow of the ship is bright and clear.

Last edited by J.Scott; 08-18-2007 at 01:25 AM.