Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA*55 F1.4 - Tastes prtty gud aktualy

So I've been using the DA*55 F1.4 for about 2 weeks now and I'd have to say that it is an excellent lens. I have no regrets in purchasing this lens and would probably buy one again if for some reason I lost mine.

I'm not a pixel peeper by any means, but I like to know that the tools that I use are capable of making the image in my head into the awesome photos that I want. The DA*55 has not failed to disappoint me in this regard.

I have my own personal reasons for taking out a mortgage (just kidding) to purchase this lens. But this lens is not for everyone, especially at it's price point. I would say that if you're happy with the 50mm focal length and you're fine without SDM, weather-sealing, etc. then stick with the FA50 F1.4, or an M50 or A50 F1.4 if you're okay with manual focus.

My personal reasons for purchasing it were:

-weather-sealing
-the silent SDM autofocus (great to have in quiet situations)
-the extremely awesome manual focus feel
-build quality
-Sharp from F1.4 to... well, every other aperture on it.
-colors and saturation are great. Skin tones are vibrant.
-the 55mm focal length (suits me better than 50mm). Feels like home.

The more I use this lens and work around (and work with) its little quirks, the more I like it. Portraits (and other pictures too) are nothing short of stunning at pretty much every aperture from F1.4 up. They're sharp, well colored and they have a certain 'look' to them that I really like. And the overall build quality and feel of the lens is excellent. It feels good in the hands, and knowing that I can use SDM and manual focus on this equally well (because the MF feel is so good) is a huge plus for me.

The cons? Contrary to my initial views of this lens, the SDM is kind of slow for autofocusing, but after trying out my friend's Canon XSi, I think that's just a Pentax camera body thing... or maybe just the AA's I'm using (Panasonic Nimh rechargeables).

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics to show of what this lens can do as I've been really busy but I hope to post some soon!

Conclusion? If you like this lens, buy it. I used my Dad's 55mm F2 takumar to see if I liked 55mm over 50mm and to me atleast there was enough of a different "feel" to warrant considering 55mm. Add in everything else this lens does (and it does it well) and you may find yourself saving your pennies for one.

06-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lets see some pictures!

I agree, though, that 55mm has a different feel than 50. I have an old Mamiya 58mm, and it is a whole different lens than a 50mm. (So I tell myself and my LBA!)
06-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we should start a DA*55/1.4 club.
06-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, I ran into some harsher lighting conditions and this lens had a rough time autofocusing. I think this is partly the camera too and hopefully the K7 will fix this up. That being said, still a great lens!

Here are some sample shots I took with this lens. It's my radio control drift car (Another hobby of mine):

Note that these are NOT edited in photoshop. They came straight out of my K200D.

This last one was shot at F1.4: