Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got the Tamron 90 Di too. Always impressed by the snappy focus, especially outside. I tend to use it for band photography if I've got the room to move a bit around the scene.
Mostly at ISO1100-1600.

Wide open:

f/3.5:

07-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lately I've taken to using a macro adapter on my FA77. So, yes, it does double duty. But maybe that's cheating?

My Vivi Series 1 105mm works well for just about anything. But it's a lot bigger and heavier.
07-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses!
I'm officially impressed!!

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The 70mm is starting to get shortish for chasing bugs though.
But still usable?
The minimum working distance of the Sigma 70mm (6.5cm) is just 2.5cm less than that of the Tamron 90mm (11cm). That shouldn't make a big difference for bugs, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
I too have the D-FA 100mm Macro, and it is my all-around favorite lens.
Keitha, this is not helpful.
I didn't want to know what an excellent photographer can do with any odd lens!
Seriously, your images totally rock and the others on your flickr stream are divine.
That's something to aspire to...

Your images could easily go into a Pentax sales brochure for the D-FA 100mm, you did a brilliant job of showcasing the lens.

In terms of perspective (field of view) I think I'm more partial to the 70mm, though. Even the 90mm feels a bit too compressed for non-tele applications.

In case you are seriously considering getting the Sigma, I think any Sigma EX lens these days is a safe buy in general. On Amazon.de someone commented that they saw two copies which were decentred so it seems to pay off to have a means of returning a copy should you not be 100% happy with it, but I guess there is no more reason to be concerned than with any other manufacturer.

BTW, not so long ago I lived not so far away from Mühltal (in the "Odenwald"). Nice area!

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Here's some samples:
These are great! Thanks a lot. You convinced me that this would be a great macro and portrait lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Coffee, I agree, the Sigma 70 does double duty probably better than any other 1:1 macro, and your excellent shots prove that.
Thanks for the confirmation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
If you are rich
I wish...

get the sigma 70 for double duty and later pick up the 180 macro for real bug shootin'
Aye, captain.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Taken with the DS...
Thanks a lot as well.
I didn't expect all these nice images, but keep them coming!

As I said above, currently I feel that the 70mm are probably more useful than the 90mm when it comes to non-macro shots.

Last edited by Class A; 05-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.
07-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
To NaClH2O: I really like the mood in all your shots (it's very similar to how I like to shoot, actually), but the eagle shot with the misty land behind is superb. I'm not a birder by any means, but THIS is a photo that tells a story. Great job!
Keitha, thanks for the nice words, coming from you high praise indeed. The bird shot was taken thru a chain link fence that you can vaguely see running from top right to bottom left right thru the bird, and then crossing below him. You don't know how hard I tried to get rid of that in pse b4 I gave it up as a bad job, but yes it's one of my fav images with the 90mm too.

NaCl(the Tamron 90mm was the first lens I bought after getting the DS with the kit lens)H2O

07-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Keitha - I appreciate the kind comments. Thank you!

Class A - Glad to help. I'm sure you will really enjoy the Sigma 70 if you choose to go that route. Both Jay and I love the lens because of it's versatility, it's great colour renditions, how it always exposes really well and how it renders things like wood/rock/metal. I haven't really used it for bugs (I actually don't like bugs), but for flowers, still life, wood/rock/metal, and people the lens really does shine.

c[_]
07-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #21
Damn Brit

I started to look at these shots before I glanced at who posted them, and I was like, "Holy Crap, these are good, who the hell....? Oh. Keitha."

Please post more in this forum at every opportunity, Keitha, it gives the rest of us quite a bit of inspiration!

Poor Keitha, she's been on the forum fiveminutes and has been reduced to "Oh, Keitha".
07-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I love my Tamron 90mm macro for long portraiture ... so much so that I use it more for that than I use it as a macro lens actually.

07-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Coffee, I agree, the Sigma 70 does double duty probably better than any other 1:1 macro, and your excellent shots prove that.
Jay, just found series of Sigma 70mm shots of yours. The wide open performance of this lens is stunning and the bokeh rather impressive for such a sharp lens.
07-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #24
Damn Brit

Here's a landscape taken today with Sigma 105mm f/2.8.
Subject is Mt.Diablo and taken in bright sunlight so pretty good considering.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-27-2009 at 12:27 AM.
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter

. . .

The 35 is a great lens, but in no way a biting/stinging bug shooter... I ain't getting that close! So yeah, a paper weight... bwahhhaaahahhhaaa
You mean like this? K20d, DA 35mm ltd, hand held & ladder)

What is that fool doing with the 105mm and the round thing?

Poof . . . my eyes my eyes . . . I can't see to fly . . .

Last edited by Blue; 07-11-2009 at 09:04 AM.
07-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
K20d, DA 35mm ltd, hand held & ladder)
Unlike this one these all seem to be taken with a 105mm.

It appears you have to be pretty brave to take these shots...
They look quite impressive in the larger sizes.
07-11-2009, 05:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I just picked up a Takumar M42 screwmount SMC 100mm Macro a few days ago. I recall having heard tales of people proclaiming it's usability as a portrait lens, but haven't as of yet had the opportunity to find out for myself. Maybe within the next week or so I'll take it out for a solo run & check it out as such.
07-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Unlike this one these all seem to be taken with a 105mm.

It appears you have to be pretty brave to take these shots...
They look quite impressive in the larger sizes.
I fixed the link. One link was posted twice. I actually have a series taken with both lenses. I only uploaded 3. They are also down sized substantially to 1200xsomething.

They noticed the 105mm with the ring flash more than they did the 35mm. I have made images of Hymenoptera for over 20 years and haven't gotten stung. The key is not bravery but watch what you are doing and know how far to push it.