Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which 70-200 f2.8 dilemma

Okay, I know there has been a number of Sigma vs Tamron thread and I think at this point that is what is mudding up the waters. I am an IQ guy so I was already set to get the Tamron. I have been wanting to add that range with speed to my line-up for some time. I really could have used it at the wedding I (backed-up) a month or so ago.

Anyway, due to the pressure I feel because my Sigma 100-300 has to go in for repair and I don't have anything longer then my FA 77. ( Not good for a guy that loves to shoot wildlife/birding ). So the time has come a little sooner than I was planning. Like I said before I was set to get the Tamron before but I am seeing so many threads concerning the aperture sticking and other issues. Just plain poor QC all around. So Ihave been looking more seriously at the Sigma.
One thing is, I love the build of my EX 100-300 and I have been thinking maybe I wouldn't miss it so much if I did go Sigma.

I see there is a Tamron 70-200 thread so I wish someone would start one for the Sigma so there could be a better cross reference.

Can I see some photos from both lenses posted here? Please!!
I think it would be a very helpful thread for those interested. And maybe some info if you have had any problems.

If this is a repeat sorry.

Oren

07-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 70-200 and decided on going that ruote because I already owned 2 tarmons and wanting to try another brand. From what I have heard they are failly equal and sharpness, I am finding out, has a lot to do with the guy behind the camera. I am considering the Sigma 100-300. Cheers JIM

07-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I purchased the Tamron to save a few dollars.

I really like it, but on the other hand I have not tried the Sigma.
FWIW, the Sigma is suppose to have better AF and doesn't have the rather poor push/pull AF to MF that the Tamron has.
07-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens reviewers like Photozone.de don't help much in this regard either, as they give Sigma's 70-200 a relatively poor performance mark, especially at the long end - I question this when lenses like the 55-300 are given a similar result at equivalent parameters (of course, there's no f/2.8-4 setting for the 55-300 at 200mm).

In any case, it's good to get these real world tests and confirms the 70-200s are all reasonably good and hard to differentiate in terms of results.

Another question - is the new Sigma any better optically than the old?

07-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I have the Sigma 70-200 and decided on going that ruote because I already owned 2 tarmons and wanting to try another brand. From what I have heard they are failly equal and sharpness, I am finding out, has a lot to do with the guy behind the camera. I am considering the Sigma 100-300. Cheers JIM
Jimbo, so your not finding softness at 200 where some have stated so? Also, stop considering the 100-300 f4 and go for it. It is an absolutely wonderful lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I purchased the Tamron to save a few dollars.

I really like it, but on the other hand I have not tried the Sigma.
FWIW, the Sigma is suppose to have better AF and doesn't have the rather poor push/pull AF to MF that the Tamron has.
Raybo, that is one of the reasons also I was looking at the tamron because it is a bit cheaper. You must be one of the fortunatel ones and got a good copy. I have seen so very good results from this lens but the QC is really frightening.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Lens reviewers like Photozone.de don't help much in this regard either, as they give Sigma's 70-200 a relatively poor performance mark, especially at the long end - I question this when lenses like the 55-300 are given a similar result at equivalent parameters (of course, there's no f/2.8-4 setting for the 55-300 at 200mm).

In any case, it's good to get these real world tests and confirms the 70-200s are all reasonably good and hard to differentiate in terms of results.

Another question - is the new Sigma any better optically than the old?
Ash, I agree that sometimes reviews from photozone and others are hit and miss.
One of the reason I was wanting some side by side comparisons and to see if anyone else is having issues with the Tamron.

I don't know how long I can hold back the LBA though.

Thank you for all the responses.
07-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote

No clue which lens is better. But these two images do attest a lot to the lens' quality and that of the person behind it.

I am not too worried about the lens' performance in its 200mm end which is usu the weak end in zoom design. If it excels at 180mm , who cares.

Daniel
07-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the same choice to make and went for the Tamron. One thing I can say for sure - it *is* sharp wide open. The rendering is also interesting.

07-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 70-200 hsm

See my post

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/67810-need-speed.html
07-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Jimbo, so your not finding softness at 200 where some have stated so? Also, stop considering the 100-300 f4 and go for it. It is an absolutely wonderful lens.
At at all as far as softness. This lens stays on the K20 and only when I am doing wide angle shots, does it come off. I have seen the lens getting better over time or as they say "75% if the guy behind the lens. Every day Iget to love this lens more and more and yes I will be getting the 100-300 soon. Have a couple of things ahead of it, mainly the Workshop in UT in September, which I need a few things before getting the 100-300. As far as buying either, from what I have heard, you woul dbe happy with either. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
No clue which lens is better. But these two images do attest a lot to the lens' quality and that of the person behind it.
Thanks Daniel. JIM
07-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I had a faulty Tamron and sent it back (aperture sticking open). It's optics were top notch and I really had a hard time not trying another, but it was a real gamble after seeing that others were having the same problem. That and the turn around time for warranty work somewhere around two months made my decision easier. FWIW, I found Abe's of Maine has the Sigma for $749 and real inexpensive shipping as far as expedited goes.... Mine will be here Tuesday.

Hey, what's so special about Edison, NJ? I bought the Tamron from Beach Camera and the Sigma from Abe's of Maine - both of them shipping out of Edison, NJ. Are they the same company? Another thing - Do B&H and Adorama close for Arbor Day too or is it one of those very rare holidays that they don't close for?
07-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #11

I had both, but on two different systems. The Sigma on a Canon 10D, and the Tamron on Nikon D200. Hands down the Sigma was better at focusing. The Tamron in my opinion was a little sharper.. BUT I was very frustrated with the Build. This is what I noticed..

1. I was shooting during a rather windy day that turned even worse using the Tamron. When I got home, there was a tremendous amount of DUST inside the lens. I don't know if the Sigma would have been prone to this, but I returned it because I felt the dust accumulation inside the barrel regardless of how windy was unacceptable.

2. Focusing - The Tamron didn't focus nearly as fast. Again, I didn't have these two lenses side by side so take my words with a grain of salt, but in my opinion, the Sigma was VERY close in speed to the Canon 70-200 2.8

3. I owned the Sigma and later got a great deal on a Canon, so I sold it, but truth be told in my opinion the image quality was nearly Identical, the Sigma was slightly warmer with color.

4. Build quality - Sigma... it was Better than the Tamron, no comparison. Tripod collar was great too.

I guess for me, I wouldn't purchase the Tamron again, unless I was able to try one out on my K20D Just to see how well it did. It struggled HEAVILY focusing on live performance of bands from about 20 - 30 ft away with a D200, and was very discouraged. If you are NOT shooting moving subjects, then I guess it would come down to price difference. Both were great lenses optically.
07-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #12

I use the Tamron since a few weeks on my K20D, and i have to say that i love this lens. Image quality couldn't be much better, in my opinion it's even better than the Olympus Zuiko 50-200 f2,8-3,5 i owned. Okay Autofocus and build quality aren't as good as the Zuiko but i can life with that. I mostly use it for animal photography as you can see:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help everyone and I have made a decision. I did pick the Sigma mainly becauses I own the Sigma 100-300 and I love the build and handling of it. I am sure it is of the same quality but I don't think it will preform as well IQ wise. My 100-300 is hands down the best lens I own. I just wish I had a little more reach but I quess one can't have everything.
I bought it from 47th st photo on ebay for 719.00 and only 9.95 for 2 day delivery. I have an email already stating it has been shipped so I should get it Tuesday or Wednesday.

I would say I was done now and my LBA satisfied but as you now LBA is cunning and baffling.
The age of internet and access to an endless selection of lenses, craiglist, ebay, keh and so many others will always be that monkey on my back.

Happy hunting!

Oren
07-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing to note is that Sigma probably has an issue w/ liveview AF on the K7. I emailed Sigma to see if they'd deny the issue, but they never replied. They usually reply within 2 days. As long as you don't have a K7 yet, it won't matter and they'll probably have a firmware fix by the time you do...
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
One thing to note is that Sigma probably has an issue w/ liveview AF on the K7. I emailed Sigma to see if they'd deny the issue, but they never replied. They usually reply within 2 days. As long as you don't have a K7 yet, it won't matter and they'll probably have a firmware fix by the time you do...
Autofocus does not work in liveview on the K20 or the K7. This is not a problem with the lens.