Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K7 + Screwmount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm thinking of buying a screwmount adaptor for my K7, and considering I'm no expert on these kinds of things, I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

Are there generally issues with focusing to infinity?
Is the adaptor sold online by pentax easily attached/removed?
For Aussies, where is a good place (online or not) to find cheap lenses? For the record I live in Brisbane in case anyone knows of a good retailer or antique store.
Anything I should watch out for with screwmount lenses on the K7?

Cheers.

08-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try emailing CR Kennedy for a genuine Pentax adaptor. The el cheapo Chinese versions are flanged and will cause problems focussing to infinity. There's a copy of the Pentax version that can get stuck in the body.
08-04-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome. Good advice, thanks
08-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy only original Pentax one. You will not regret

08-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by petercrane Quote
I'm thinking of buying a screwmount adaptor for my K7, and considering I'm no expert on these kinds of things, I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

Are there generally issues with focusing to infinity?
Is the adaptor sold online by pentax easily attached/removed?
For Aussies, where is a good place (online or not) to find cheap lenses? For the record I live in Brisbane in case anyone knows of a good retailer or antique store.

Cheers.
If you get the original Pentax m42 adapter, you won't have any infinity focus issues if the lens can infinity focus. They only require the tip of an ink pin to remove from the camera.

Edit: On the k20d and k200d, many have installed a different focusing screen to aid with mf. I haven't done that with mine because I do so much macro. This may be something to consider for the K7 as well.

Last edited by Blue; 08-04-2009 at 01:56 PM.
08-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another vote for the genuine Pentax adapter!

Steve

(Bought a brand-X non-flanged adapter and almost had to cut it off the camera...)
08-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #7

Stick with the original Pentax adapter. Never had a problem with mine.

08-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petercrane Quote

Cheers.
Yes. Becoming addicted to screwmount lenses.
08-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Anyone that has Chinese flanged adapter... are they removable only by turning? if so can anyone point me to one on ebay? thanks!
08-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I have one of theese cheap, flanged adapters - and they work well, except when I need to focus on something 8m or more away from me. It sticks to the lens, so it's just like mounting/unmounting a K-mount lens.

I also have one of those cheap screw-in adapters. I liked that I could focus to infinity, but it was difficult to remove.

A few days ago I finally ordered an original Pentax adapter - should have done this the first time, as I've lost some good shots because of the limited focus or trouble changing lenses.

If you plan on shooting macro or portraits, go for the cheap one.
08-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Yes. Becoming addicted to screwmount lenses.

Another vote for the genuine Pentax one. It's easily removable with the nails of thumb and index finger in a second, once you're used to it. I do so on a daily basis so to say, and don't even think about it anymore. I think you will regret buying one of those flanged ones, because it keeps you away from all possibilities of those great screw mount lenses.
08-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freeload Quote
I have one of theese cheap, flanged adapters - and they work well, except when I need to focus on something 8m or more away from me. It sticks to the lens, so it's just like mounting/unmounting a K-mount lens.
I've been considering one of the flanged ones (for use only on a screwmount bellows: possibly fixed semi-permanently in place: infinity focus isn't a concern,) Has anyone else used them? I'm wondering if they'll mount conveniently and keep the camera positioned.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-07-2009 at 07:20 PM.
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Flanged adapter: is this the one?

M42 lens adapter to Pentax PK - eBay (item 310154445109 end time Aug-09-09 04:44:43 PDT)

I need it for bellows and for my plunger baby I've been using a gouged body cap that keeps falling off...
08-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ebay is a good source for M42 lenses. Besides the Pentax lens section grabbing old SLR cameras with lenses attached can also be a good buy strategy. As to deciding on what M42 lenses to get, well the review sections here are pretty good but also keep an eye on the off brand lens thread in this section and the manual focus dedicated forums. Besides the Asahi Pentax lenses I'd keep my eyes open for some of the German and Russian made lenses. If you feel a bit worried about ending up with a dog of a lens I'm sure members here would be more then happy to enlighten you on the merits and demerits of particular lenses.
I probably own more M42 then K mount lenses and use them regularly, my only problem is deciding which lens to use next.
08-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Flanged adapter: is this the one?

M42 lens adapter to Pentax PK - eBay (item 310154445109 end time Aug-09-09 04:44:43 PDT)

I need it for bellows and for my plunger baby I've been using a gouged body cap that keeps falling off...

Yep, one something like that. It appears that the slot will engage the camera's mount pin just fine, no spring to get stuck... I have a T-mount adapter that looks similar and seems to work just fine...