Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SMC Takumar query

Hi,

A SMC Takumar 85 f1.8 arrived at my workplace this morning . While checking the aperture and focus movement, I also flicked the auto / manual switch and it seems to be stuck on auto! The lens itself is in immaculate condition so i'm pretty annoyed with myself, is there a special process for dealing with this particular problem or do I dig out a hammer or something?

Thanks in advance

08-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IIRC, once the lens has been switched to auto the pin needs to be pressed to return it to manual.
08-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steve,

I'm hoping thats the case. Been doing some browsing on the sly (work time and all) and found that there is a whole article related to this .

Thanks for the reply.

Robbie
08-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There's a pin on the lens mount that is depressed when you attach it to camera. If you can't find it just attach it to the camera, it will fix itself

08-12-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Hi,

A SMC Takumar 85 f1.8 arrived at my workplace this morning . While checking the aperture and focus movement, I also flicked the auto / manual switch and it seems to be stuck on auto! The lens itself is in immaculate condition so i'm pretty annoyed with myself, is there a special process for dealing with this particular problem or do I dig out a hammer or something?

Thanks in advance
As said by the previous poster this is perfectly normal. There is a VERY small pin on the mount that needs to be depressed before the A/M switch can be set again.
08-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Happy camper again. Hooked it up to my K20D and have manual functionality again.

Last edited by robbiec; 08-12-2009 at 08:01 AM.
08-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And I use this little moniker to remind myself what to have the switch on.

Auto camera (K20D) = switch on Manual
Manual camera (Spotmatic) = switch on Auto

Enjoy shooting ... I have the Super Tak 85mm f/1.9 and it's a beautiful bit of glass.

08-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Your really going to be happy with this lens. I had the same and loved everything about it. It also was in immaculate condition. I only sold it because I was completely new to this and was a little lazy to learn. Wanted AF so I traded for 77 limited.
Its rendering is absolutely wonderful. And you just don't get any smoother focusing.
08-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I have both the f1.9 and f1.8 variants now , the f1.8 is in really mint condition and it kinda blows the f1.9 away wide open which surprises me a little as I would have thought there would not be much of a difference. Must investigate this a bit more....
Have to say the lure of these 85s is very strong, next on the list is the fabled A*