Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma 30mm f1.4 - how do you like it for shooting people?

Hi Sigma 30mm owners....

I currently have the FA35 - which is a great lens but doesn't have that something special when shooting pics of people that I'm looking for. I've considered picking up the FA43 as well, but focal length wise it's too close to my FA50 which I love. So... I'm considering the Sigma 30 as an option instead.

Can you folks post me some of your thoughts on this lens and it's use for taking pics of people? Do you have any people shots that show off it's bokeh and it's positive attributes?

Thanks in advance!!

c[_]

09-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
RT1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Here are a couple of people shot with this lens. The first is my wife, she's always so happy to be my test subject. The second is a street musician on the street in NYC. It was taken at about 10pm with no flash.

09-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That second picture is awesome. I guess your wife was happier in other shots though.
09-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
RT1
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
I guess your wife was happier in other shots though.
Yeah...I just post this one to show folks how sharp this lens can be. That was shot wide open @ 1.4.

09-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #5

Shooting people is what this mens was made for. Incredibly, insanely sharp center performance, which stays mostly tip-op even wide open. Great bokeh and rendering. Its the only lens I use for my concert shots.

But, its less than ideal for things that require corner-to-corner performance, as you get some pretty nasty distortion.

Love this lens.

Wide open, 1/30.

Also wide open, also 1/30.

Wide open, 1/40.

Last edited by dantekgeek; 09-06-2009 at 08:29 PM.
09-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

^Those look amazingly sharp for wide open shots. I think I might have to get one of those someday.
09-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've had a long-simmering urge for this lens and this thread isn't helping.

09-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, I've had a long-simmering urge for this lens and this thread isn't helping.
DOH! That makes two of us!!!
09-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
These shots look great! Looks like it's got useable wide open performance, it certainly has pleasing bokeh, and there does appear to be some 3D'ness to the shots (what I'm wanting).

Have any of you had any troubles with focussing of the lens? I've heard this lens is notorious for back or front focussing, or not being able to focus at infinity. The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if I should pay a bit more and go local through brick and mortar, or buy cheaper online, or whether the lens problems are more to do with the canikon versions that have usm and hsm (my understanding is the Pentax version is just screw drive).

If there's anyone else who has photos I'd love to see 'em!

Thanks all

c[_]
09-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #10
James S

Funny you ask, I picked mine up today and love it so far!! I took a few shots of people wide open, and I have to say the results are outstanding! The shots in this thread so far are great, definately a must for people IMHO.

I will be giving this lens a workout on the weekend...
09-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Looking forward to seeing your shots James!

c[_]
09-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
cas
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think this lens is great for portraits and people. It allows you to capture candid shots on casual settings, like dinner with friends, where the flash would ruin the natural appearance. Here are a couple of examples, all of them wide open, ISO 400.

CAS
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
09-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Have any of you had any troubles with focussing of the lens? I've heard this lens is notorious for back or front focussing, or not being able to focus at infinity. The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if I should pay a bit more and go local through brick and mortar, or buy cheaper online, or whether the lens problems are more to do with the canikon versions that have usm and hsm (my understanding is the Pentax version is just screw drive).
When researching the lens, I also grew worried about the front/back focus issues that seem to plague the canikon versions, so I made sure to pick up my copy in person and test it out in the store. Mine has no issues at all, and at least anecdotally, I've heard that the focus issues aren't really an issue on the K-mount version. I was lucky that the cheapest price I found online was actually through a local brick-and-mortar, but you might not be so lucky.
09-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

strangely, when I looked at this lens 2 months ago at a local photo store, the copy I tried (Pentax mount) wasn't entirely pleasing. As in I think it definitely mis-focused and the IQ was nowhere near what I considered 'blow your mind'.

However, just a few weeks ago I tried it while I was shopping in Japan and I LOVED it. I was completely blown away by it's performance. However, I wanted a warranty in case this lens ever went bad. My current experience with Sigma lenses has been poor, but I'm hoping the EX lineup will change that. We shall see.

As dantekgeek said, make sure to pick up a copy in person and test it out if you can. Nothing more frustrating than a dud lens.
09-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I've checked around and can pick one up online from Hong Kong for the cheapest, and B&H next cheapest (about $50 more). B&H is close to $200 less than buying local for me, so I'm going to go that route.

If there's any problems with it I'm sure there won't be any problems exchanging or getting a refund from them.

I appreciate everyone's help!

c[_]