Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
Closed Account

Decided with the K7 - which lens to go with it?

I have decided to go with the K7 as my next camera, upgrading from the K100D. My lens collection is as follows:

DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit lens
FA 50/1.4
Samsung 50-200/4.5-6

I will buy the K7 house only and I will probably buy a really good "to go"-lens along with it. I've been looking at primes as well as zooms but since I photograph such diverse things (portrait, landscape, abstract, concerts, travel) I think a good zoom should suit me well. With the K7 I'm also keen at taking up video photography, being inspired by several videos here at the forum.

What about these:

Tamron AF SP 17-50/2.8
Sigma EX 18-50/2.8

Both these lenses are in the same pricerange. What do you know about them, IQ, build quality? I've also been looking at the Pentax SMC-DA* 16-50/2.8 but it is a bit expensive and I don't know if it's worth more than double the price of the Tamron and Sigma.

What about video with these lenses? Are primes better with video than zooms. I have the 50mm but I don't think thats a very good focal length for shooting your friends on a vacation trip kind of video.

Plenty of questions at the same time, but please let me hear your input on the matter!

09-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #2

Wow, a like-minded individual - I was in the same exact situation a month ago or so.

I have the 18-55, 50-200 (also Samsung!) and FA 50. Bought the K-7 and a Da* 16-50mm. The Da* arrived faulty and has just come back to me from repairs. If I was buying again, I probably would have gone for the Tamron 17-50 instead - as nice as the Pentax is, it's too pricey for its own good.
I'm further bankrupting myself soon by buying a Simga 10-20mm and later a Pentax 50-135. Then at some point in the far future I will probably want a super-tele of some sort (Bigma?)

In retrospect, it might actually be a better idea to get a lens that expands your range rather than replacing your kit zoom first. I got the 16-50 in a hurry right before the UK price hike (£500 to like £900 overnight!).
Have you considered an ultra wide angle like the Sigma 10-20 or Tamron 10-24? You sound like someone who does photogprahy to have some creative fun, and you can definitely have some of that at 10mm.

Seeing as you photograph a lot of different things, I will assume you need your kit to be comprehensive and portable. As nice as primes might be, I don't think they are the best choice for an all-purpose photography outfit. My FA 50 is enough for me - it does low light, portraits and high sharpness work just fine when I need that. Once I have the zooms I want, I will consider getting a 105 or 135mm f/2.8 macro for little things and portraits.
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd recommend the Sigma 17-70mm or the Tamron 28-75mm over the 17-50mm options.
09-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
50 1.4, otherwise i agree with deadwolfbones

09-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There should be several threads comparing these lenses to each other, along with some others in a similar range. I did my homework last year with this very idea in mind and went with the Tamron 17-50/2.8. Great lens...made my kit lens obsolete the very moment I took my first photos with it.

Jason
09-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
Sorry for not searching the forums first. I will look those threads through and see what I come up with. I'm pretty sure that I need a lens with 2.8 aperture all through the focal lengths so some of those suggestions fall through.

What about video with zoom lenses? Pros/cons comparing to primes?

09-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mindglow Quote
Sorry for not searching the forums first. I will look those threads through and see what I come up with. I'm pretty sure that I need a lens with 2.8 aperture all through the focal lengths so some of those suggestions fall through.

What about video with zoom lenses? Pros/cons comparing to primes?
Luckily, your FA 50 will feel like a new lens on the K-7--focusing is so much faster!

For video, you don't really need the sharpness of a prime so zooms are just fine, but primes are more fun for playing with DOF.

There's some K-7 video done with the FA 50 and the DA 21 here (and it's pretty incredible):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/72112-another-adve...ing-video.html

Any of those zooms you mentioned would be great for the wide stuff. I've only used the DA*16-50, and it's great (especially stopped down--wide open it has some field curvature which prevents everything in a flat plane from being in focus). I've heard great things about the Tammy 17-50 and I've used the Tamron 28-75, which is also a very nice lens.
09-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
For video, you don't really need the sharpness of a prime so zooms are just fine, but primes are more fun for playing with DOF.
Is this because aperture can't be set in-camera during video mode or am I completely off?
09-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the 24-70 and performance wise it is hard to fault this lens. Being nit picky i could say it is flare prone but the AF is wicked fast on the newer camera bodies (ie. my K20D) and it is very very sharp. That being said some may consider it a bit bulky and heavy. I also have the 17-50/2.8 I never really used it much because I liked the reach of the 24-70 better than the 50mm long end of the tammy. However today I was very pleasantly surprised by how sharp it was.

f/2.8 iso800 50mm 1/30sec

Hard to argue with those results
09-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Both these lenses are in the same pricerange. What do you know about them, IQ, build quality? I've also been looking at the Pentax SMC-DA* 16-50/2.8 but it is a bit expensive and I don't know if it's worth more than double the price of the Tamron and Sigma.
The DA 16-50 is my favourite zoom. It is a stellar performer , well worth the money.

Neil