Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF extension tubes

Why is it so hard to find Auto extension tubes for the Pentax. I've used the manual ones, but would like to find a set of Auto extension tubes. If anyone has any info or a set available, please let me know. Thanks.

Pete

09-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I know, there was only one set of AF tubes made for the Pentax system, by Kenko, and it was just one tube. I was lucky enough to pick one up a few weeks ago on the marketplace, but they're quite rare.
09-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are they common for other brands?
09-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
Does the tube work quite well?? I would love to get my hands on a set.

09-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Are they common for other brands?
yah, when you look for kenko tubes, you can find them for everybody else but Pentax!!
09-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax pete Quote
Does the tube work quite well?? I would love to get my hands on a set.
I haven't had a chance to extensively test it yet, but it seems a-ok.
09-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here's a shot taken with the FA 50mm f/1.4 and the Kenko Pz-AF Uniplus Tube 25 extension tube. Dead easy to use.

09-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Kenko also made a set of "AF" extension tubes. They're actually "A" tubes with all the contacts, but they have extra contacts for power zoom or something--there's no AF coupling and inside the box there was a slip of paper that said "use camera in manual focus mode."

But the camera thinks there's AF, so if you forget to switch into manual mode, the screw drive spins (and echoes in the hollow depths of the tubes).

They also wouldn't allow you to use Live View on the K20 with SDM lenses for some random reason. I ended up returning them and began the long slow hunt for "A" tubes (not to be confused with "auto" tubes, because if it flicks the aperture lever for you in M mode, it can still be considered "auto").

I had eBay email me any time the Uniplus came up. There was one auction in 6 months, and they wanted almost $200 US for a single 25mm tube. I even thought about it. The Kenko Uniplus is the only one that supports AF and SDM as well.

So deadwolfbones--you got a deal (not that you didn't know that!)
09-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Here's a shot taken with the FA 50mm f/1.4 and the Kenko Pz-AF Uniplus Tube 25 extension tube. Dead easy to use.
I have one of those tubes and I agree with Denis that they are really easy to use. Mine came for about $20 new in the box, some weeks ago, but it was obvious that it had been in the drawer for a long, long time....
09-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax pete Quote
Why is it so hard to find Auto extension tubes for the Pentax. Pete
Yeah, Why?! I mean, there's clearly a market and it's not rocket science, is it?
09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think another idea is to buy one 1.4 or 2x teleconverter and take the glass inside out so it turns into a AF extention tube.
09-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #12

I am going to buy Vivitar "automatic" extension tubes tomorrow. They are supposed to be usable in Av mode. I'll let you know if they really are "automatic".
09-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Vivitar "Auto" Extension Tubes

I had and sold a set of Vivitar "Auto" extension tubes (they became useless after I got my Series 1 105mm.

Beware the "Auto" mean it will allow auto aperture control i.e. focus wide open and stop down the aperture when you take a picture.

It will not transmit to the body, sorry to burst your bubble.
09-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Vivitar "auto" set and omega leader is correct although I can use mine with the Vivitar series 1 macro but I have to use the aperture ring to control the aperture and use the green button to set exposure. The lens will then stop down when the shutter button is pressed. The frustrating problem is when you try to use it on a DA lens without the aperture rings. In this scenario the lens stays stopped down, for instance I can only use my DA* 300/4 at f32!
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #15

Too bad I did not read your answer before buying the tubes omega leader. Eaglerapids, you are saying we can use the green button to set exposure? I tried the tubes with my FA50 f1.4. I can use the apperture ring to set the apperture in M mode, but the exposure indicator does not work. Thus, I have to find the correct exposure by trial an error. Very anoying. I'll try the green button as suggested by Eaglerapids and let you know if it worked.