Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Wow, thanks for this. It seems rather complicated but if it works, it works.

11-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It works.
12-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That hack works unless you have a more recent camera body which can't touch the lens' EEPROM... Then you are out of luck unless you want to grab an older body for this single purpose... (Which, IMO, is a bit ridiculous)

And I don't see this type of firmware change (to add an option to use screw drive officially) as admitting that there's a problem. Most parts fail sometime. Even if the failure rate of the SDM motors were just .0000001%, I'd prefer to have the option.
Say I'm out on a professional shoot and the SDM fails. I either have the option to use poorly optimised MF (the throw of the 16-50's focus ring, for example, is too short to be able to reliably nail manual focus) or switch lenses (which, in a worst case scenario, I wouldn't have with me.). This type of firmware update would allow me to keep using AF when I'd otherwise be stuck. Just my $.02.