Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help with Sigma Super-Wide 24mm/2.8

I just picked up a Sigma Super-Wide 24mm/2.8 MF (from KEH). I unpacked it and tried to mount it to a K7 but was unable to do so successfully. I don't have a lot of experience with older lenses, but I've never had an issue mounting a lens. It does explicitly say on the base "FOR PENTAX-K", so I assume it should fit. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I didn't want to force it as I would prefer not to destroy a $1000 camera just to play around with a <$100 lens.

Below are some pictures.

12-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What's the specific problem? When you line up the dots and stick the lens on the body, does it fail to sit flush? Does it turn at all? Does it turn and not lock?
12-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
What's the specific problem? When you line up the dots and stick the lens on the body, does it fail to sit flush? Does it turn at all? Does it turn and not lock?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. When you line up the dots, the lens drops in, but I don't think it's entirely flush. It doesn't turn either.
12-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For what it's worth, I don't see any visible reason why it wouldn't fit. Usually when this problem occurs, it's because of a larger extending collar around the mount of the lens. But this lens doesn't have that.

12-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
For what it's worth, I don't see any visible reason why it wouldn't fit. Usually when this problem occurs, it's because of a larger extending collar around the mount of the lens. But this lens doesn't have that.
Yeah, I compared it to my M-50/1.7 (the only other "older" lens I own) and the only difference I see is there appears to be is that the angled part of the thing that sticks out on the botom of the lens (don't know what to call it) is angled in the opposite direction on the sigma. Maybe that's why it won't turn?
12-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got $5 that says the problem is the thing that is sticking up that is not the aperture lever.
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I've got $5 that says the problem is the thing that is sticking up that is not the aperture lever.
That's my bet too. It's just a light shield. I'd take the light shield off by removing the three small black screws and see if the lens mounts now. If so, you probably don't need it, or you could drill some new mounting holes in the shield about 10° from the old ones, so the shield barrier is next to the aperture lever.

12-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's my bet too. It's just a light shield. I'd take the light shield off by removing the three small black screws and see if the lens mounts now. If so, you probably don't need it, or you could drill some new mounting holes in the shield about 10° from the old ones, so the shield barrier is next to the aperture lever.
I removed the three screws so that the light shield now rotates and it mounts up perfectly. Thanks so much for the help.
12-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In case anyone is tracking different versions of this lens, here are photos of mine:

This post has photos of a model in between, with a KA mount and older-style focus grip. The same type is pictured on the forum's lens review page:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/845121-post3.html

I don't have a photo of the AF version.