Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, it is the photographer and the light who make the picture. The lens is here to record it to the photographer's liking and the camera is here to provide the media and other technical means. Personally, I am not that much enamored by this lens. It is a good optic (or at least so it seems from the many samples on the net, this forum inclusive) but one cannot have everything. Recently I got myself FA 20/2.8 and although not as wide, I am quite happy about it. My DA 21 is now serving my daughter (it is smaller, lighter, etc, and she is only 8 years old). So, personally, I am happy.

01-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Dad

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Before anyone gets carried away and starts spending money they don't have...
This thread really needed that...

Cheers & enjoy the season...
01-10-2010, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Before anyone gets carried away and starts spending money they don't have, I would like to point something out.

As would I, and it is this.

You only need one kidney.

Seriously, though, the sticker may say Vietnam, but this lens is (as all Limiteds are,)
forged in the ether, and delivered to you via whirlwind. As the lens is dropped into
your lap, in the whirlwind you see the spectres of Michelangelo, Henri Cartier-Bresson,
and Helen Oster, whispering something you can't quite hear.

The whirlwind dissipates, but delivers the parchment instruction manual for your
optic as it's last offering, which weaves to the floor like a falling leaf.

You pick it up, and see that it has only two lines of instruction:

Your world is lit by starlight always...

...Tell a story.

(Adorama, B&H, $499 - 535 shipped.)

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-10-2010 at 08:11 AM.
01-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #34
Inactive Account

DA 15/4 Ltd.......

This is a fantastic little lens.
Razor sharp,flare-free,small and light.
Finest optical and mechanical quality.
The Pentax Lens DA 15 / 4 Limited, also has a very good
minimum focusing distance of just 18cm.

LG
Hartmut

01-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #35
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Adorama, B&H, $499 - 535 shipped.
If it was that cheap, I would've already got one. No, two! From B&H incl. shipping, VAT and customs to here it makes a bit more than $800. On the other hand, the local price is around 730€ which is by today's rate about $1040...

01-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I must remember to not look at any threads you start in the lens forum.

Congratulations mate.
I'm with you on that...

I've been coveting this lens since it came out, it's a battle between that and the Sigma 70mm macro that are on my "short list" for next lenses to buy.

*grumble*
01-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

First, a technical example: This simply has the most attractive flare response of
any lens I've personally shot. Into-the-sun now is something to do on purpose:

A nice 14-point star, and no hot spots I could find. Very nice.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH why did I have to keep reading this thread!!!
*curses*

01-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #38
SPA

Hi jsherman999, can you share more info about focus accuracy of the lens. Did you make any focus correction. I have too 15mm and use on K-7. I have a little trouble to get a correct focus in most cases. Some time I set -5 to focus for close (20-30cm) object and +3 for distant object (10-20m) to obtain correct focus. The most interesting thing is that the LV focus is always correct and is better than the normal focus. I think the K-7 have a little problem when need to use SR on short focal length.
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SPA Quote
Hi jsherman999, can you share more info about focus accuracy of the lens. Did you make any focus correction. I have too 15mm and use on K-7. I have a little trouble to get a correct focus in most cases. Some time I set -5 to focus for close (20-30cm) object and +3 for distant object (10-20m) to obtain correct focus. The most interesting thing is that the LV focus is always correct and is better than the normal focus. I think the K-7 have a little problem when need to use SR on short focal length.
Did you do your tests under tungsten light or outdoors?
01-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #40
SPA

I test in different situation. But of course the most important test was outdoors (today in cloudy environment). The k-7 must have correction mechanism in focus for tungsten light. I have 35/3.8 macro. The lens so need correction (-9) on my body, but with LV always focus perfect, instead of focus correction.
01-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SPA Quote
I test in different situation. But of course the most important test was outdoors (today in cloudy environment). The k-7 must have correction mechanism in focus for tungsten light. I have 35/3.8 macro. The lens so need correction (-9) on my body, but with LV always focus perfect, instead of focus correction.
So both 35 and 15 need a correction? Maybe, it's a problem with the body: the AF system can be at a slightly different distance from the mirror than (EDIT) it should be.

Last edited by asdf; 01-10-2010 at 02:53 PM.
01-10-2010, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I really can't justify the 21 AND the 15.
Justifying is easy--it's the paying part I haven't worked out.
01-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #43
SPA

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
So both 35 and 15 need a correction? Maybe, it's a problem with the body: the AF system can be at a slightly different distance from the mirror than (EDIT) it should be.
Maybe. That is one of the reason always to get body with correction. When I have more time i will make statistic of test for all my lens.
01-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I realize that a lot of this is the photographer and not just the lens. But I'm really starting to think it would compliment my 43mm for a light kit. I think my only reservation now is the lens-hood and how I'd have to figure out a way to mount a cokin P holder to the lens so I could use my GND's and polarizers.....without 'altering' the lens hood with a hack-saw.
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
I realize that a lot of this is the photographer and not just the lens. But I'm really starting to think it would compliment my 43mm for a light kit. I think my only reservation now is the lens-hood and how I'd have to figure out a way to mount a cokin P holder to the lens so I could use my GND's and polarizers.....without 'altering' the lens hood with a hack-saw.
Andrew,
Not sure how the Cokins mount but the lens hood retracts to allow use of a normal CPL -- so if the Cokin mount is a 49mm screw on then I suspect you'll be okay.

I can also confirm that one of these little Limiteds on the camera and a couple others in your pockets makes a great light kit for a walkabout. Dave

Last edited by davef; 01-10-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: fix grrammar