Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

South african trip and tele

Hi.

i have alreadyasked this in dpreview, but i'd like to have some suggestion also here.
i'm going to southafrica. mY interest will be do a lot of photos stock for worldcup.
so nature lifestyle cities architecture food...are all on my list.
Clearly ill do some wildlife but i won't spend all the trip in parks. Probably of 35 days 8 9 will be in parks.
my kit currently has two tele

50-135
200 f 2,8

both the da*. i have the converte 1,7 to use with the da*200 with good results.
do u add something longer?
im thinking of these possibilities:

300 f4 ( but so i would have to keep all 3 lenses)
60-250 f4 ( i will leave home the 50-135 and 200)
sigma 120-400 ( home the 200)

id prefer to buy only da* but the sigma looks like a good contender.
anybody used the 60-250 with the 1,7 converter? rersults?

01-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #2

I lived in South Africa for a while and still visit from time to time. We occasionally go to game parks and did a big photo safari trip in Botswana a couple of years ago.

My experience was that animals were either quite close (an experienced guide will often get you closer than you might expect) and a wide to normal lens (17mm to 70mm) would work best, or so far away that you needed an extreme tele (400 or preferably 500mm). You'll definitely need something longer than 300mm if you want to photograph birds.

Working a long lens from inside a vehicle can be a challenge and you may only need it when stationary, for example viewing a water hole. Don't expect to get much use from a tripod - I do most of my shots using the vehicle as a brace.

Check out some of the photos from other folks who've been on photo safaris and you'll get some idea.

Enjoy your trip

Mike
01-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'am in Stellenbosch, just outside Cape Town.
Iff there's anything I can help with or just chat simply pm me.
George
01-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
add in a 300F4 and use the 1.7x TC on it

this gives yo 500mm if you need it, and take a bean bag for shooting out the top of the land rover

01-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the info...

i think i'm gonna use what i have...i have tried today the 200 with the 1,7 and the results at 5,6 are very good.
i'm only thinking of buyng the 60-250 f4 and leave alone both the 50-135 2,8 and the 200 2,8. so to less lens.
i think the 60-250 is on par with the 300 so using it with a converter like the 1,7 can give very good results in case.

for george: 'll be in stellenbusch for sure, iwant to do many stock photo about wine real estate and food wine. In case i need a model) u could help me. I have contacted some wine house to collaborate on this. one beautiful the alluvia has contacted me back offering a discount 50% on the room in exchange of some photos.
My trip wil be 30 and more days. i planned to do all the coast from cape to durban, the kwaluzulu, and the kruger and mpumalanga zone, but i have to say that i'm also attracted by namibia, a 10 days there could be very interesting for sure.
01-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jonny,

There are a number of threads started on this subject lately.
Check out (for instance):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/86325-wildlife-photography.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85091-camera-world-travel.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85044-pentax-k-x-travels.html

I'd go for the 60-250mm + 1.7TC. Works fine. My Kenko 1.5x TC also gives excellent results and SDM works with it. The advantage is that it is a great lens for night safaris as well.

Have a good trip! If this is your first safari, you are in for a pleasant surprise.

= Bert
01-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Hi Jonny,

There are a number of threads started on this subject lately.
Check out (for instance):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/86325-wildlife-photography.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85091-camera-world-travel.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85044-pentax-k-x-travels.html

I'd go for the 60-250mm + 1.7TC. Works fine. My Kenko 1.5x TC also gives excellent results and SDM works with it. The advantage is that it is a great lens for night safaris as well.

Have a good trip! If this is your first safari, you are in for a pleasant surprise.

= Bert

hi

today i have looked at the image from my da*200 and 1,7 and they are excellent, so for extra reach i could have this combo. consider i have two body, so one could be the 50-135, the other the 200 plus 1,7 converter.
if i buying the 60-250 i could leave at home two lenses and travel lighter, woth 16-50 10 20 and 60-250, plus the 18-55 r as back up and the 35 macro for macro and normal lens.
do u use a lens plate with your 60-250 ?
i have seen also the sigma 120-400 and looks very good, and cost 400 less but no sealing.

01-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Some pictures

Hi Johnny!
I repeat my answer from DPR, for others to see. Since it's easier to include pictures here, I'll add some too.

I've visited SA 15 times since 1994 (not for photography but for work), have stayed mainly in areas that the Tourist Guide books tell you to avoid and I haven't had the smallest unpleasant incident so far. Of course, you have to use your brains and not behave like a bag full of easy money. Apply Stephan Busch's advice and enjoy your stay.

One thing you can do is to try to get in touch with a local curch or the local ANC leadership, and tell them about the purpose of your stay. Possibly that will reward you with locally respected bodyguards and guides, which will allow you to take photos of township or rural village environments.

If you drive from Cape Town via Port Elizabeth to Durban, try to not miss Port St John's, a sleepy once-was-a-port town on "The Wild Coast" of the Eastern Cape. Now it's "the capital of Pondoland" and a backpackers paradise.

If you can find someone to guide you, all of the old Transkei is full of villages worth visiting. The main city Mthatha on the other hand is not very picturesque and not worth too many minutes.

Lenswise I'd say you'll do well with the 200mm and the 1.7X adapter, as long as you aren't going to shoot the very football matches.

If you look at Steve's Forums (I use the same nickname there) you can find some of my SA photos. Never had more than 200mm+2Xconverter, and the converter was left idle most of the time. In game parks I have had to put on a 70-210 zoom, because the animals were too close for a prime 200.

Kjell

#1 is Mzimvubu river mouth and Pt St Johns, as seen from the top of Mt Thesiger
#2 is the vibrant Central Business District, where you can spend minutes browsing all the shops.
#3 is from a villlage meeting, an imbizo in Luqoqweni (don't even try to pronounce it!), not too far from Pt St John's.
#4 is from Hluhluwe game park, 200mm lens. The day after I put on my 70-210 zoom lens!
#5 is from the surroundings of Pt St Johns
Attached Images

Last edited by bilybianca; 02-19-2012 at 10:07 AM.
01-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm a resident and just use my 18-55 & 55-300 and I travel extensively through the country - good enough for me.

You don't need or to be seen "dripping" with gear - so take gear that can be put in a basic day pack.