Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Zoom creep

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

They sell custom made silicon bracelets on ebay. Cost is about $3.95 each if you order single quantities, and about $13 for five if you buy in the larger quantity. I bought the solid which means the silicon is embossed. They also sell bracelets where the wording is painted/printed on the bracelet. The print tends to wear off over time on these. I bought the adult, 8 inch size

With the embossed, I figured I could paint them myself which I did with a couple of metallic Sharpies. This isn't ideal, but it works well enough for me. I used silver and gold. The gold on the black bracelet comes out a darker more orange gold than a real gold. It is OK, as it is a little more understated than the silver. I don't think the color will stay on, but I can touch them up whenever I want.

I'm using these on the Tamron 18-250mm, and Tokina 80-400mm to stop the zooms from creeping. I also use these on flash heads to hold different light modifiers. If you use a better bounce card, these work really well and leaving them on the flash isn't too trashy. Well at least for me, now were did I put my leisure suit. I hope my wife hasn't thrown it in the dumpster again.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-11-2010 at 02:00 PM.
01-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

picture please...

How about posting a pic with it on the 18-250?? I'm kinda curious as to what it looks like on the lens....

have to admit though, catchy idea....hope it works well.

Mark
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
How about posting a pic with it on the 18-250?? I'm kinda curious as to what it looks like on the lens....

Mark
wanted to know the same.
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-11-2010 at 01:47 PM.
01-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just put the silicon bracelet on the body of the lens to stop the lens from zoom creep. god to know. will give it a try.
01-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharathk Quote
just put the silicon bracelet on the body of the lens to stop the lens from zoom creep. good to know. will give it a try.
Depending on the lens, there usually will be a stationary part of the lens next to the zoom ring. The idea is to hold the zoom ring in place by having the majority of the silicon band on the zoom ring and a little bit of overlap on the stationary part.

In the photo of the Tamron 18-250mm, the silicon band is actually too high. It really only needs about a millimeter of the silicon band on the metal below the gold ring of the Tamron to hold the zoom. There are also times when I push the band completely on to the zoom ring. If I hand holding the lens, I don't really need to worry about zoom creep. Even then, a simple push up with my thumb will put enough of the band on the stationary part that the zoom will hold in place.

Thank you
Russell
01-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Russell -

Is it possible to know the font that you used in your order? And, which seller you went with?

Thanks!

01-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The font was Arial Bold. I bought from this seller, but their price per piece is higher. I didn't find the other sellers until after I bought mine and was looking for the auctions again to post in this thread.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-13-2010 at 10:55 AM.
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That is a cool idea. It looks like it was made for that lens.
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use various charity silicone bracelets to hold bundles of Cokin filters, in their boxes, together.

Works a treat, and supports your favorite charities.
01-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Theses are probably infinitely better than plain rubber bands that some people put on their lenses but I'm still slightly worried about particles created from abbresion entering the lens. Is this possibility entirely excluded with such silicon bands?
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

For some reason, when I read the thread title I thought of some guy in a trench coat following little girls around.
Aqualung with a Pentax if you will.
And would a person who doesn't use zooms be a Prime Creep?
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
For some reason, when I read the thread title I thought of some guy in a trench coat following little girls around.
Aqualung with a Pentax if you will.
And would a person who doesn't use zooms be a Prime Creep?

10chars.
06-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Great Find on eBay

QuoteQuote:
They sell custom made silicon bracelets on ebay. Cost is about $3.95 each if you order single quantities, and about $13 for five if you buy in the larger quantity. I bought the solid which means the silicon is embossed. They also sell bracelets where the wording is painted/printed on the bracelet. The print tends to wear off over time on these. I bought the adult, 8 inch size

With the embossed, I figured I could paint them myself which I did with a couple of metallic Sharpies. This isn't ideal, but it works well enough for me. I used silver and gold. The gold on the black bracelet comes out a darker more orange gold than a real gold. It is OK, as it is a little more understated than the silver. I don't think the color will stay on, but I can touch them up whenever I want.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86562-zoom-cre...#ixzz1O2dTBK5N
I was surfing eBay and found a company providing some very cool silicone bands that they make specifically for zoom lenses. They call themselves Lens Band. Take a look LENS BAND | how do you stop zoom creep? (that's my 2 cents).....
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The SNL troupe The Lonely Island has a catchy tune and video (with a John Waters cameo) called
, which is what went through my head when I saw this thread.