Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vivitar MC Tele Converter 2X PK-A/R-PK issue...or no issue?

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED, SEE SOLDBEAS POST BELOW IF YOU'RE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH THIS TC.

Would appreciate some insight from the folks here to know if I have a problem or not.

I recently picked up a Vivitar MC Tele Converter 2X PK-A/R-PK. This version has the electrical contacts, which supports auto aperature.

What's odd, is I'm not getting a reading of the aperature in the top LED screen on my K20d. All I see is "F--". A common problem I've read.....but my issue is not quite the same as others.

Shooting in Av mode, I am able to adjust the aperature, and it is working, as I see the Tv changing to align. Also, after I take the shots and review the "info" in playback, I can see the aperature used....it is changing with wheel adjustment.

So, everything appears to be working, but I can't tell what aperature I am adjusting the lens to via the scroll wheel, as I do it. Only way to tell, is to review photos in playback after.

Note, this isn't the Marco version of the TC. I did crack her open, and all the springs are in place, and contacts all appear clean.

I did try searching the forums, and couldn't find a case of this exact prob. FYI, I also tried the TC on my back IST DL, and it's the exact same issue.

Is this standard for this TC? I may decide to sell this TC some day, and want to confirm if I have a problem, or not.

Cheers.

Last edited by WiseOx; 08-19-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Problem solved....point everyone down to the solution.....
02-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thought I would give this a bump....hopefully someone out there has this TC and can comment.
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry to high jack this thread but I am considering picking up one of these tele converters and was wondering if you could give me some insight on the image quality and if the dreaded Ricoh pin is a problem?

Also is the model number 0246450? and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it?

As for your problem I have no idea what it could be. Have you tried the green button as if you were shooting with a manual lens? I honestly have no idea what it could be.

Last edited by epqwerty; 03-01-2010 at 10:53 PM.
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
I recently picked up a Vivitar MC Tele Converter 2X PK-A/R-PK. This version has the electrical contacts, which supports auto aperature.

What's odd, is I'm not getting a reading of the aperature in the top LED screen on my K20d. All I see is "F--". A common problem I've read.....but my issue is not quite the same as others.
How many electrical contacts (balls) does it have? If 6 like the one in the photo below, continue to read this post. If 7, ignore the rest of the post; it does not apply to your Vivitar 2X TC.

Flip the TC over. What finish is the other side, chrome-plated or painted black?

If it is painted (or anodized black), continue on. If it is chrome-plated, ignore this post.

The problem is the 7th electrical contact on the camera's lens mount does not have a corresponding contact on the TC. And since the ring on the TC is painted black, the contact on the camera is not grounded.

To fix the problem, scrape off the black paint on the TC so that the 7th contact on the camera's lens mount is grounded. I don't have a photo handy, but will post when I find it.

Edited to add:

I have a photo. In the photo, there are three different mounts: (1) with 7 contacts (the thin one, bottom part of the photo), (2) with 6 contacts, chrome-plated (top right), and (3) with 6 contacts, painted black (top left).

For (3), you'll have to scrape off the paint (pencil tip) for the contact #7 on the camera's lens mount. You'll also have to scrape off the paint around the mount of the TC so it makes firm ground contact with the camera body.

BTW, (3) does not have the optics part because I removed it to use the TC as an extension tube.

Attached Images

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-02-2010 at 12:21 AM.
08-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey SOldBear,

Better late than never, I owe you a big thanks!

I just discovered this old thread I posted earlier this year. After a couple weeks when no one offered up any help, I completely forgot about it. I didn't read your post solving my problem until today.

I grabbed my pocket knife.....scraped off a thin layer of black paint as directed....and problem solved.

A proper working PK-A 2x TC.

Thanks!
06-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks SOldBear, This fixed my issue.
12-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if I should make a new thread or ask here...

I have number 1 in the picture above. I've done the requisite scraping and still no dice.

What I have noticed is on both sides of the TC, most pins are flush with or below the flange. Using a toothpick, I tested the spring in each and all have travel, but maybe not enough to make contact.

I'm reluctant to take it apart (I'm no surgeon) but will if necessary. Are the low pins a problem? And if so, is that something I can fix by disassembling?

Thanks

12-15-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by corvin Quote
I don't know if I should make a new thread or ask here...

I have number 1 in the picture above. I've done the requisite scraping and still no dice.

What I have noticed is on both sides of the TC, most pins are flush with or below the flange. Using a toothpick, I tested the spring in each and all have travel, but maybe not enough to make contact.

I'm reluctant to take it apart (I'm no surgeon) but will if necessary. Are the low pins a problem? And if so, is that something I can fix by disassembling?

Thanks
You need to take the paint / anodizing off the raised part of the flange not the recessed part, to make sure of electrical contact to the camera, and you also need to do it on the opposite side to ensure connection to the lens.

Note that at some point, Pentax changed the software to not let the aperture function at all if it thought there was no lens connected, I forget whether this was after the *istD series, or between K10/20 and K7